RH910 vs NH1

Rate this topic

hsl13

Hi,

I currently own a RH910 but have just purchased a NH1 as second unit. Can anyone you has used owned (or owns) both models tell me breifly the main differences please? Any difference in recording quality or recording options etc.

Thanks in Advance

You can record "on the fly" with the NH1 as you can make adjustments without pressing pause; the build quality on the NH1 is clearly better than the RH910, plus it has the HD amp. If you don't do any live recording, there isn't a drastic difference between the two and the RH910 is a decent value.

Thanks 'Superbaldguy'

I do a lot of live recordings, using both microphone and line-in depending on the venue. Is the NH1 a better recorder for live music? The quality of recordings I have had in the past from my RH910 have been exceptional when using line-in and very good with microphones.

NH1 will allow legacy recording (SP/LP2/LP4) on the unit itself.

RH910 will only record in Hi-MD modes on the unit itself.

NH1 comes with a fantastic remote (RM-MC40ELK) that is great for live recording.

The battery for the NH1 is better, but more expensive.

Also, I don't think the NH1 has a AA Battery attachment like the RH910 does.

Edited by raintheory

The recording quality should be exactly the same in the Hi-MD modes of the RH910 and the NH1. The differences are in features. Also, the NH1 does realtime recording in old MD modes, but you'd need the MZ-RH1 to upload those recordings, so that probably doesn't matter to you.

Check the Browser tab at http:/www.minidisc.org for details on both units.

The RH910 does have on-the-fly level adjustment, doesn't it? I think every Hi-MD does, as did all the later MDs.

If the RM-MC40ELK came with the NH1, it should also work with the RH910. It's a very useful remote because it lights up and shows record level. But if you light it or change level while recording quiet music, you'll get a little burst of static. I usually check it during applause.

I'm pretty sure the RH910 does not have the on-the-fly recording, and I know my NH700 does not have that handy feature. I think it is only reserved for the high-end units.

RH910 does not have the on-the-fly feature, whist recording you have to press pause before you can change recording levels.

RH910 does not have the on-the-fly feature, whist recording you have to press pause before you can change recording levels.

Are you sure about this?

What if you start the recording in REC-Pause, then unpause to start recording? Then does it work?

I would swear I've done this on my RH10.

EDIT: Just tested on my RH10 and it works fine. Started in REC-Pause, set manual levels, unpaused... could change levels whilst recording with ease.

Unless there are more differences (besides the screen) between the RH910 and RH10, on-the-fly record levels should work using this method.

Edited by raintheory

Are you sure about this?

What if you start the recording in REC-Pause, then unpause to start recording? Then does it work?

I would swear I've done this on my RH10.

EDIT: Just tested on my RH10 and it works fine. Started in REC-Pause, set manual levels, unpaused... could change levels whilst recording with ease.

Unless there are more differences (besides the screen) between the RH910 and RH10, on-the-fly record levels should work using this method.

Yes what you are saying does work on the RH910 and is how I usually record but if you have started recording and relise the rec level is incorrect and want to change it you would have to press pause or stop in order to do so, interupting your recording (unless there is a break in the performace and you change it then).

I thought 'on-the-fly' means you can change the rec level without pausing or stoppping the recording, I could be wrong?

Yes what you are saying does work on the RH910 and is how I usually record but if you have started recording and relise the rec level is incorrect and want to change it you would have to press pause or stop in order to do so, interupting your recording (unless there is a break in the performace and you change it then).

I thought 'on-the-fly' means you can change the rec level without pausing or stoppping the recording, I could be wrong?

That is what I meant by "on-the-fly".

Here, a movie is worth a thousand words (a picture wouldn't be in this case ;)):

RH10.wmv

The video shows REC-Volume adjustment being performed while recording with the RH10.

The RH910 very well may be different in this respect, but they are almost identical units so I would doubt it.

EDIT: I you mean changing from auto record levels to manual record levels while recording then no... can't be done. But you should be able to change the actual levels while recording, assuming you've started with manual levels to begin with.

SOrry if I've misunderstood you somewhere along the way.

Edited by raintheory

I know my NH700 does not have that handy feature.

I constantly use the NH700 and it definitely has on the fly level setting. To get started, you have to go into Manual via Rec/Pause, Menu, Rec Settings, Rec Volume, Manual. Un-pause to start recording. Then you have on-the-fly settings while recording. If you leave it in the default Automatic, then you don't have control.

I can't imagine they would remove that from the RH910 when they had it even in the last models of MD recorder.

I think it was my mistake, I didnt read your post properly.

I am sure I have tried to set the rec level whilst recording before and I got a message 'cannot set' when tring to go into the rec level menu? It may have been something else I done, so I am going to try on-the-fly recording with the RH910 again.

I think it was my mistake, I didnt read your post properly.

I am sure I have tried to set the rec level whilst recording before and I got a message 'cannot set' when tring to go into the rec level menu? It may have been something else I done, so I am going to try on-the-fly recording with the RH910 again.

The unit has to be in rec pause to be able to switch to manual rec-volume mode. Once you're in manual mode, the level setting can be changed on the fly during recording.

Edited by greenmachine

You do not need to go into the REC SETTINGS menu with Pause to set volume while recording. That is a one-time setting before you start recording, where you change REC VOLUME to Manual from Automatic (the default). You can't change that while recording. But once you are in Manual, you can raise or lower the level with the >> and

You do not need to go into the REC SETTINGS menu with Pause to set volume while recording. That is a one-time setting before you start recording, where you change REC VOLUME to Manual from Automatic (the default). You can't change that while recording. But once you are in Manual, you can raise or lower the level with the >> and << settings without pausing.

I've tried this now and it does work on the RH910! Thanks A440.