Q: Any harm in leaving RH1 connected via USB?

Rate this topic

Hello all,

Is there any reason why I should not leave my RH1 or any MD unit permanently attached to the computer via the USB port? Can the lithium battery be left in the unit? Is there any danger of an electrical spike from a thunderstorm etc. travelling up the USB cable?

Thanks,

ET.

You would kill the battery - it would be trickle charging 24/7. The unit itself plugged 24/7, I don't think there should be a problem. Just leave the battery out. Oh, and if there was a thunder storm, I think your computer would fry first, I would worry more about that. You could buy a surge protector for your computer and accessories.

I actually thought li-ons thrived by keeping them on full charge. I believe I read that somewhere in a discussion either here or the T Board. The li-on system is designed that the charge is regulated because overcharging could actually cause serious problems. I'll have to see if I can find the link.

Anyhow, supposedly any unit that uses a Li-on can be stored right on its cradle or charger. My MZ-E10 has spent most of it's four year life this way and still runs longer on a single charge than any other player I have. I also do the same with my HD5.

However, maybe keeping it plugged in through your computer is different. I usually just keep my RH1 plugged into the AC/USB adapter...

Edited by culp4684

I actually thought li-ons thrived by keeping them on full charge. I believe I read that somewhere in a discussion either here or the T Board. The li-on system is designed that the charge is regulated because overcharging could actually cause serious problems. I'll have to see if I can find the link.

Anyhow, supposedly any unit that uses a Li-on can be stored right on its cradle or charger. My MZ-E10 has spent most of it's four year life this way and still runs longer on a single charge than any other player I have. I also do the same with my HD5.

However, maybe keeping it plugged in through your computer is different. I usually just keep my RH1 plugged into the AC/USB adapter...

My laptop keeps its LiIon topped up all the time. When it drops even a smidgen the charger brings it right up. Maybe the laptop disconnects the battery when charged. I do not know. I would guess SONY would have a circuit to do that in the RH!. Best way to find out: write SONY.

Cheers B)

FWIW - My RH1 dims and then the lights turn off when it is hooked up to the charger. I guess SONY thought about this.

Here is what Sony had to say...

"Thank you for contacting Sony Online Support.

We understand that you would like to know if there would be any harm to your unit (MZ-RH1)if connected to the computer permanently.

We would like to inform you that if the unit is permanently connected to the computer it may harm your unit . The life of your unit may be affected.

There might be problems in its functionality.

Regarding your second query, we would like to inform you that the life of the Li-Ion batteries will decrease if overcharging is done . Due to excessive

overheating it may affect the batteries.

We hope this information is helpful to you. However, if you need further assistance, please feel free to contact us again. We would be glad to assist you

further.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance.

Your Sony Email Response Team"