Difference between Hi-MD Blanks and Standard MD Blanks

Rate this topic

hsl13

Hi,

Apart from the the capacity difference of Hi-MD Blanks and Standard MD Blanks, is there any other real differences? I am particularly interested if there are any differences when it comes to recording, for example if I record something in HI-SP on and Hi-MD blank will it be the exact same quality if I recorded it on a Hi-MD formated 80min Blank recorded to in HI-SP?

There's no difference between MD and Hi-MD discs for recording quality. With digital recording, like MD, the medium makes no difference. The file is the same on MD, Hi-MD or uploaded to your computer.

The disc is just a storage medium holding numbers. It's not like analog recording tape, where different kinds of tape give different frequency responses, or vinyl, where heavier and higher quality vinyl gives you richer sound.

The disc is just a storage medium holding numbers. It's not like analog recording tape, where different kinds of tape give different frequency responses, or vinyl, where heavier and higher quality vinyl gives you richer sound.

So Sony was just trying to charge more money when they came out with the 'premium' white Minidiscs a few years back?

So Sony was just trying to charge more money when they came out with the 'premium' white Minidiscs a few years back?

Soundwise, there should be no difference. Presumably the construction quality was more durable. Less likely to have mechanical problems (generally with the shutter) or flawed areas of the disc. I never bought those specific discs, but that's where quality should matter with a minidisc.

As far as Hi-MD blanks go, are there any that aren't Sony's dark blue ones? That's all I've ever seen, in spite of different wrapping.

The only diference is the physical disc, 3 layer on 1 disc on 1GB Hi-MD disc.

Also the ouptut needed to record or play on 1GB is much than on a regular disc formated to Hi-MD, making the the automony shorter than in MD mode.