Blue screen of death everytime I try to transfer?

Rate this topic

CausingACommotion

I have a Sony MD Walkman MZ-N420D, and everytime I try to transfer music with the latest version of SonicStage, I can only transfer one song. Scenario:

01 Causing a Commotion Converted: 100% Transferred.

02 Open Your Heart Converted: 100% Transferring...

*Blam!* Blue screen of death. I've erased the whole disc and tried again, but nothing doing. Still just one track before crapping out (and I've tried it with other files, too.)

I'm using Windows XP Pro 2002 with SP2 installed.

Has this happened to anybody else?

What version of Sonic stage are you using? What is the message on the BSOD?

* Moved to Software Discussion section

I was using the latest version of Sonic Stage from the Sony site. And the BSOD is displayed so quickly that I don't have time to read it. But I got a glimpse of "NOT_EQUAL" at the top of it. The computer restarts without any damage done to my laptop nor to the disc (as the first song I transferred with still play.)

The IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL message could be caused by a number of things. Faulty RAM - have you done any memory upgrades? Driver conflict - any unknown devices in Device Manager?

I haven't done any memory upgrades, and there aren't any unknown devices in the Device Manager. I only have one computer with SP2 on it, however I do have a Mac running Mac OS X Tiger. If there isn't any fix on my laptop running XP SP2, could I switch over to Mac?

P.S. I found this in another thread that died before there was a solution to the problem:

I know there are postings with similarities, but I have been searching through the forums for the last week to correct my issue. Both Sonic Stage and the MD Burner crash my computer during the transfer process. My computer then brings up the problem screen indicating "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". Has anyone else had this specific problem? I just bought this Net MD, model number MZ-N420D. I run Windows XP (service pack 2) on a HP Pavilion (Intel Cel 2.7GHz 504 Mb Ram). I originally had the problem with the first version of SS that came with the MD, but then installed the lastest verion of SS as indicated in the General FAQ. Can you only transfer songs brought in through the Connect Music Store?? Any help? Thanks in advance.

Same Net MD model, HP, XP SP2, however I have 0.99 GB of ram according to my My Computer properties.

Edited by Causing A Commotion

The IRQL_ error sounds a lot like something to do with USB. The only thing in all of this that needs to know anything about IRQ levels is the device driver. However there's nothing very special about the USB driver for the device, I had mine talking to SonicRage quite early on, and the driver is pretty generic at the computer.

I note that Sony specifically say that you cannot connect a MD player via a USB hub to the computer - could this be the problem?

The IRQL_ error sounds a lot like something to do with USB. The only thing in all of this that needs to know anything about IRQ levels is the device driver. However there's nothing very special about the USB driver for the device, I had mine talking to SonicRage quite early on, and the driver is pretty generic at the computer.

I note that Sony specifically say that you cannot connect a MD player via a USB hub to the computer - could this be the problem?

But if Sony doesn't want it to be connected to a USB cable, why was it included? :blink:

But if Sony doesn't want it to be connected to a USB cable, why was it included? :blink:

Sony are OK with you connecting via USB, but what the previous poster asked was whether your USB cable goes directly to a socket in the computer or whether it goes to a USB hub. If it's the latter, try connecting directly to the computer and see if that makes any difference.

EDIT.

Apparently, there's a huge issue with HP and Minidisc players. I was able to patch my copy of Windows XP Pro, update to Windows XP Pro SP2, and install on that computer as apposed to my laptop. It seems to be working just fine, now.

The only issue is that when I tried to transfer eight tracks, a few didn't...

Edited by Causing A Commotion