Maxell europe End MD production

Rate this topic

ILoveMinidisc

I got this confirmation today from Maxell europe

Production of Minidisc has ended as of March 2007

They will sell out the Minidiscs they have and then no more.

Maxell Minidisc (those with metal shutters) will still be sold in Japan.

It reminds to be seen what Tdk europe does they promised to continue with Minidisc

But as you probaly already know IMATION is buying TDK from autumn 2007

meaning this decision can depend not only on Tdk but on Imation.

(would be cool to see imation MD media )

But is sad to see Maxell Minidisc disapear in Europe.

Note: Would be good to have a forum for information on blank media.

Maxell has also amazingly ended production of the XL-II cassette tape. Actually, it was discontinued quite many months ago. All remaining product in stores is just left-over production stock.

Minidiscs and cassettes are completely dead.

:crazy:

Cassettes are still being manufactured. But Type II and IV are getting very hard to find compared to the ubiquitous Fe Type I. Minidisc production, as expected, is slowly being scaled back as well.

Neither format is even remotely dead. It's just that fewer and fewer people in the world are interested in making their own recordings. The industry is just reacting to the changing customer tastes, as well they should. Both cassettes and MD blanks will be available for years to come (tape recorders are still being sold by the thousands, if not millions!).

I suspect that home recording/concert taping/"copyright violating" is becoming more of a niche market primarily due to the efforts of the commercial recording industry trying to hang on to a "completely dead" business model.

Cheers

Maxell has also amazingly ended production of the XL-II cassette tape. Actually, it was discontinued quite many months ago. All remaining product in stores is just left-over production stock.

Minidiscs and cassettes are completely dead.

Yes XLII was discontinued in 2006 but UR tape will still be produced.

Sony discontinued it superior CD-IT tape years ago, but still manufactures the inferior normal bias (Type I) HF blank tapes.

As for minidisc, Sony is still coming out with (but in scarce quantities) their Premium Gold series MD blanks and is also still producing HMD1GL (blue, second generation) blank Hi-MDs, but, you have to get them online, I recommend eBay, MiniDisco, or MiniDisc Access for availability of both blanks and MD-oriented accessories.

Sony discontinued it superior CD-IT tape years ago, but still manufactures the inferior normal bias (Type I) HF blank tapes.

As for minidisc, Sony is still coming out with (but in scarce quantities) their Premium Gold series MD blanks and is also still producing HMD1GL (blue, second generation) blank Hi-MDs, but, you have to get them online, I recommend eBay, MiniDisco, or MiniDisc Access for availability of both blanks and MD-oriented accessories.

Or, you can walk into a SonyStyle store such as the one in Seattle and buy them off the display rack (they have 'em currently taking up an entire row)...Cheers

The availability of minidisc blanks is petering out over here. Stores such as Yodobashi, Bic, Ishimaru, etc...that dedicated shelves to discs are now dedicating a shelf to the medium. Axia got out the disc market nearly two years ago, and both Victor and Sony haven't released any new sets in two years. TDK, which use to release new sets three times a year hasn't had a release since summer of 2006 with the WA series. Maxell hasn't released anything after the metal shuttered Twinkles, plains, and Coulers which came out the same month as the TDK WA's. I think we will be stuck with only Saehan products and maybe Daiso products from now on. I like the Daiso stuff but Saehan doesn't satisfy...

Sony Cd it II is back in production acording someone i talked with in sony.

The availability of minidisc blanks is petering out over here. Stores such as Yodobashi, Bic, Ishimaru, etc...that dedicated shelves to discs are now dedicating a shelf to the medium. Axia got out the disc market nearly two years ago, and both Victor and Sony haven't released any new sets in two years. TDK, which use to release new sets three times a year hasn't had a release since summer of 2006 with the WA series. Maxell hasn't released anything after the metal shuttered Twinkles, plains, and Coulers which came out the same month as the TDK WA's. I think we will be stuck with only Saehan products and maybe Daiso products from now on. I like the Daiso stuff but Saehan doesn't satisfy...

I talked with Tdk Japan they say NO plan for new MDs in 2007/2008 period

Victor Japan promised me that Soon there be new Md (Victor AR 2007 maybe?)

But considering the economic struggles victor is going through (is going to be sold to another company in near future)

i would not count on Victor releasing anything in 2007 but maybe....

As for Sony nothing new since 2004 (Except for the more limited Basic Md)

an upgrade in Bianca would have been nice .

Cmex still produce Primemedia and Avox md and has no plan stopping.

As for Maxell Japan i dont know but their MD line has already been updated in 2006.

so next update should come from either Sony or Victor (jvc japan)

Panasonic japan is still selling Md (but thats probaly just left over)

I dont know about Aeon shopping stores in japan

if they still sell Topvalu Mds. (somebody can find out?)

also in late 2006 Cando stores was still selling Sunny Tech md

so sunny taiwan may still be producing md.

Finaly as for Saehan i think they still will produce md

but only Natural wave (if they just could update the design a bit)

Daiso is also still in busniess

but havent released nothing new for sometimes now

anyone know if theres something new from daiso?

Ok this was only about japan

in europe theres still many that manufacture minidiscs:

Bestmedia, Fuji europe , HHB uk, Sony , Tdk and TNB france.

but is mostly Sony and Tdk Md that are found in shops.

Edited by ILoveMinidisc