please congratulate me on my new RH1

Rate this topic

alrose312

No one I know (including my wife) understands or cares about minidisc - so will someone here please congratulate me on my new RH1?

I bought it a few days ago from B&H. I'll be using it mostly for PCM recording of my vinyl LPs (my turntable has an digital-out so they work really well together). I am very surprised by how small and light the RH1 is. I'm happy that Sony pulled all the stops with their last MD unit...nothing I can think of was left out (except drag-n-drop, but I know that is not possible anyway).

Way to go Sony, you're leaving, but you're leaving in style!

No one I know (including my wife) understands or cares about minidisc - so will someone here please congratulate me on my new RH1?

I bought it a few days ago from B&H. I'll be using it mostly for PCM recording of my vinyl LPs (my turntable has an digital-out so they work really well together). I am very surprised by how small and light the RH1 is. I'm happy that Sony pulled all the stops with their last MD unit...nothing I can think of was left out (except drag-n-drop, but I know that is not possible anyway).

Congratulations, alrose312! :)

Drag'n drop works great with the RH1 and Mac combo, and I believe you can use SS 4.3 to do it as well - ever try it? Requires a Core 2 or Xeon multiprocessor computer to work optimally, but still...

Cheers

my turntable has an digital-out so they work really well together

Congratulations on getting what is fast becoming a collector's item. From a turntable, does a digital-out connection make a different type/quality recording than regular RCA line-out connections?

thanks. what I meant by drag-n-drop was something that would allow me to by-pass SS altogether, like having the computer recognize the MD unit as a removable drive that would allow me to drag the files into using windows explorer. But I realize that by doing this you would forfeit all the bit rate options that SS provides...so in the end, not a bad trade-off

Congratulations, alrose312! :)

Drag'n drop works great with the RH1 and Mac combo, and I believe you can use SS 4.3 to do it as well - ever try it? Requires a Core 2 or Xeon multiprocessor computer to work optimally, but still...

Cheers

basically, my turntable emits the digital signal that I can hook up directly to the optical-in on the RH1!...no need for anything in the middle (like a receiver) to interfere. It's just a direct signal to the MD unit which, when recording in PCM, allows me to capture a near perfect replica of the vinyl output.

Congratulations on getting what is fast becoming a collector's item. From a turntable, does a digital-out connection make a different type/quality recording than regular RCA line-out connections?

I'm in the same boat with my S.U., but have still increased my collection, hopefully by year end I'll have my RH1, still enjoy surprising people with the sound of my NH1

Btw, congrats, I know you'll love it

Bob

Congrats dude.

Better get a second one for just in case your new unit gives up the ghost.

I use my RH1 for live recording purposes at concerts here in Port Townsend (mostly held at the American Legion Hall) but normally I just use it for uploading legacy (MD/MDLP/Net MD) discs to SonicStage or for mass storage of files. It has become an important staple in my PC setup.

I have my MZ-NH700 Silver for personal use and use an MZ-RH710 Black with my inline skating gear for all the rest.

I bought it a few days ago from B&H.

Congratulations!

My MZ-RH1 from B&H will be arriving in my eager little hands on Friday. I currently use a MZ-RH10, but I'd like to have a backup just in case it dies. Seeing that the RH1 is becoming rarer and rarer in stores I decided that I best buy it now before all supplies dried up.

with the RH1, u can drag and drop regular computer files...because the RH1 is a removable drive. the only thing is u can't drag and drop music files to it. u need SS to transfer music.

Well actually you could, but it just won't play through the MD player.

Congratulations!

My MZ-RH1 from B&H will be arriving in my eager little hands on Friday. I currently use a MZ-RH10, but I'd like to have a backup just in case it dies. Seeing that the RH1 is becoming rarer and rarer in stores I decided that I best buy it now before all supplies dried up.

I don't know whether I should be congratulated or scolded for taking possession today of a second RH1. It's just that it seems like it's the last MD model and if anything happened to my current one, I'd kick myself if I couldn't get hold of a replacement. Anyway it's now stored safely in the attic until such time as it's needed. Just don't tell my girlfriend - I don't think she'd understand.

Don't worry, she won't know, cuz we won't tell. BTW, you should commended rather than condemned for getting as second one, as unlike the units from 10 years ago, today's units have been nototiously known for giving up the ghost prematurely, it's almost a must (and I will be doing the same thing to have two RH1 units, like I do already with the NH700 and the RH710), especially since the RH1 is the end of the line for MiniDisc as far as Sony is concerned

Edited by BIGHMW