CausingACommotion

I've noticed this pattern when transferring music:

01. Lucky Star

Tranferring: 95%

MD Player says: Saving...

MD Player starts to blink the word "Edit."

SonicStage finishes and the MD Player says: PC -> MD

02. Borderline

Transferring: 38%, then it dissappears from Sonic Stage's transfer list.

MD Player says: --

The play has no words telling me what's going on.

SonicStage either does nothing or tells me that the song can't be transferred.

This happened with a few other tracks as well.

It's better than a BSOD, but seriously...what the hell is wrong with thing? :(.

I forgot to suggest this, but try a different USB cord--they're the standard USB-to-mini-USB cord that comes with many cameras and PDAs. Borrow one from a friend if you don't have one around. I doubt it will make any difference, but it can't hurt to try.

Otherwise, it's the unit. If you purchased it new and it's still under warranty--probably 90 days, but check the paperwork--then contact Sony. If it's out of warranty or you got it used, repairing it is not worth what it would cost. The NH600D will do everything your unit would do and more, and you can find it for well under $100 if you look around.

Even more than before this sounds like a USB problem.

What else have you got sucking power out the USB bus? For example an external hard drive. Some actions such as closing a file are liable in that case to cause significant uproar on the USB bus, making SS think the NetMD got disconnected.

But it may be something as simple as a webcam, or Bluetooth adapter or even mouse or keyboard (no i haven't seen those cause problems, but a HUB most definitely will mess you up especially if its only 1.1 USB instead of 2.0). What about scanners and printers? Mind you, neither should happen to do something to USB at the end of each song.

My money is on an external HD.

-I don't remember it was new or a refurbished model, sorry. It came in a white box without any plastic wrapping, so probably a refurbished model.

-A have plenty of USB cables, no difference. :(.

-A USB hub is using the other port.

-I've got 5 songs a disc through Real Player, so I'm making progress.

-And you know you like to Vogue to the music when nobody is watching, Guitarfxr.

-I don't remember it was new or a refurbished model, sorry. It came in a white box without any plastic wrapping, so probably a refurbished model.

-A have plenty of USB cables, no difference. :(.

-A USB hub is using the other port.

-I've got 5 songs a disc through Real Player, so I'm making progress.

-And you know you like to Vogue to the music when nobody is watching, Guitarfxr.

I would take a good look at what's in/on that hub. Does it have its own power-supply, or is it relying on power from USB 2.0? USB is quite well known that the power supplied via the connector is marginal. For example my external DVD burner from IBM is very clear that you can only read and write CD's and (maybe) read DVD's with bus power only. If you want to burn DVD you must connect the second source of (external) power as well. This implies to me that there is a general problem with USB devices sucking power from the bus.

What do you have connected to the hub? Can you disconnect it entirely? If not, can you buy a USB card for the computer that has lots of outputs so you now don't need the hub?

I would take a good look at what's in/on that hub. Does it have its own power-supply, or is it relying on power from USB 2.0? USB is quite well known that the power supplied via the connector is marginal. For example my external DVD burner from IBM is very clear that you can only read and write CD's and (maybe) read DVD's with bus power only. If you want to burn DVD you must connect the second source of (external) power as well. This implies to me that there is a general problem with USB devices sucking power from the bus.

What do you have connected to the hub? Can you disconnect it entirely? If not, can you buy a USB card for the computer that has lots of outputs so you now don't need the hub?

It has external power, so there's no way it still relies on USB 2.0.

It has external power, so there's no way it still relies on USB 2.0.

Fine. Can you now eliminate it hogging the bus as a cause of messing up your connection with the MD?

All you have to do is to see if that behaviour goes away when the hub and all associated USB devices are absent.

If you can't remove them all, remove as many as possible (and, if that solves the problem, try adding them in again).

If you can remove them all and it doesn't solve the problem, I was wrong, and you need to start looking to see what other software routinely spikes the execution profile (eg some virus scanner, checking the mail, who knows......).

Hope this helps

Fine. Can you now eliminate it hogging the bus as a cause of messing up your connection with the MD?

All you have to do is to see if that behaviour goes away when the hub and all associated USB devices are absent.

If you can't remove them all, remove as many as possible (and, if that solves the problem, try adding them in again).

If you can remove them all and it doesn't solve the problem, I was wrong, and you need to start looking to see what other software routinely spikes the execution profile (eg some virus scanner, checking the mail, who knows......).

Hope this helps

No such luck with the USB idea. :(.

I don't understand. Either you can remove it or you can't. If you cannot, then probably noone can help. If you can, I for one am eager to know the results (which you don't tell) of your experiments.

Cheers

Heh. I meant that there was no luck with I uplugged the USB Hub from my computer and let the Minidisc Player be the only thing connected. Sorry for my vague-ness. :(.

McAffe Virus Scan.

I cant give you enough empathy .....

It takes on the average for someone who actually know what they are doing 4 and a half hours to get MacAFee off of a system .

It invades every sector of the OS and setsup hidden files in places you would not even imagine.

I will see if I can find the PDF of how to get rid of MacAffee for you , AVG from Grisoft , is the ONLY Antivirus I will use on a Windows system .

I removed Macaffee from a freinds XP just recently and setup AVG on it he was having alll kinds of problems , after I cleaned out his system and go AVG running he hasnt had a problem since .

A breif list of probs were , Video Drive conflicts , Service shutdowns , Video software corruption , Internet connection blockages , firewall conflicts , and on and on and on .

I did the job 6 months ago , and told him "even 1 single problem e-mail me or call me "

Phone has been real quiet , except for 1 email from his wife thanking me . Their system is smooth as silk now.

Concur 100%, Norton is as bad or worse when I last tried.

These "dynamic" anti-virus solutions take over all your file I/O. Thus a file-close is a very significant event, which may be accompanied by much activity. For us "soundies" this usually means an unacceptable delay while the stupid virus scanner goes through the entire 600MB we just created.

If there is a way to exempt one or more directories from McAfee, that would probably do the trick, too.

Good luck!

S

here is the Link to AVG Free edition , it doesnt come with support but it is way better than Norton or MacAffee

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390#avg-anti-virus-free

McAffee is now all commandline uninstallation , meaning that novices shouldnt do it , here is a link to the articles , I would find someone who really know their way around the registry , to help get rid of it , then Install AVG Free ( It isnt a trial version , it just doesnt have support )

https://mysupport.mcafee.com/eservice_enu/d...port.mcafee.com

Thanks for the AVG links. I had the Norton 2007 trial and it let through a virus and couldn't detect it, while Ad-Aware zapped it immediately. I'm currently trying TrendMicro, whch isn't getting in the way of anything else, but when the trial expires I'lll install AVG.

Edited by A440

Thanks for the AVG links. I had the Norton 2007 trial and it let through a virus and couldn't detect it, while Ad-Aware zapped it immediately. I'm currently trying TrendMicro, whch isn't getting in the way of anything else, but when the trial expires I'lll install AVG.

make sure to clear the registry of any Norton links first . Here is how to get rid of Norton , Use Task Manager , choose end proccess for Norton ( Make sure your not connected to the Net .

In Task Manager look in Applications tab , and process tab for anything Norton related .

Then do Uninstall Programs for the Windows Menu , after that , Go to the registry , and all links that are Norton related ( there will be about 23 in different places in the registry ) delete all of them . Then go to "My Computer" Right klik C drive browse thru Programs Folder , Delete al Norton and Norton Related , ( inside the Norton folder you may have to delete certain files individualy in a certain order or they wont delete) go to other folders and look for stuff Norton left behing ,..Supprt files , anything. get rid of them , Empty the trash , the defrag the Hard drive , shut down startup and open task manager again and make sure that there isnt any norton going on.

Then you can install AVG , and SpyBot Search And Destroy , and live happily ever after