MZ-RH1 - initial impressions

Rate this topic

nathantw666

I just received the MZ-RH1 and I know there are some that will not agree with me but though it's a really elegant piece of equipment I don't find it to be as fantastically wonderful as it was made out to be. I personally don't like the fact that many of the playback functions on the RH1 are only available through the remote. The remote is just another piece of equipment I need to carry in my already crowded and heavy pocket with extra minidiscs and microphones.

For example, contrary to what many of you who use it to record events I mainly use my units to listen to music and old radio mysteries so just changing the equalizer to fit the sound or to set playback to shuffle mode requires the remote. I wish everything would just be built into the unit.

I think there are some very nice things about the unit which are as follows:

The size and weight of the unit (wow)

The ability to upload old SP minidiscs to my computer (that was so cool the first time I did it)

The fact that it keeps the settings that you used to make a recording instead of reverting back to default AGC (one thing I hate about the RH10). If it's set for manual record it stays with that until you change it

The timestamping is back

The sound!

pitch control

Things I'm not too thrilled about:

Most playback functions must be set through the remote (equalizer, play mode, playback pitch) thus I need to bring it with me. I used to use a remote all the time, but it was just another wire that got tangled with my headphones.

Only mini-USB port for power (can't use the auto kit with the mini-plug that I already own), though I guess I can buy a new one (more expense)

No external AA battery pack (a universal complaint)

Uses expensive batteries (though they're almost as light as a feather)

When you make a selection in the menu (such as microphone sensitivity) it reverts back to play/record mode instead of bringing you back to the menu for more changes

The screen doesn't scroll what you're listening to (titles), just time/track data, though the VU levels are cool

The remote doesn't have the tactile feel of the other remotes so I can use it without looking though with time I'm sure it'll be fine. The 3-line remote is just another $100 expense. (sigh)

Since this appears to be the last minidisc to be put on sale (no announcement of a new one officially from Sony so in our eyes it's the last one until otherwise noted) I had no other alternative in minidisc recorder/players. Again, it's a nice piece of equipment, but because of some of the drawbacks it'll remain a household item unless I need to make a recording and I know in advance so I can bring it with me. Too bad because it's so portable. The need for a remote to set playback options, I feel, is a big negative because the options could have been built into the menu system in the main unit.

However, that said, I'll play with the unit, get used to it and see how well it fits in with the way I do things. I'm sure in time everything will be fine. As with everything it takes time to get used to the mode of operation.

Yes the controls are limited , I still use my R50 as much as the RH1 , But I have the 40 elk remote , and it actually makes the RH1 usefull .

The Main plus , Is that whatever you record in Hi MD mode , get uploaded as a Wav file on the Mac , so you go straight to Audio programs for editing and mastering .

The USB problem is solved by external USB battery packs ,

In Many ways , I wish they would come out with a closing statement in the form of Remaking the MZ-1 the very first Recorder , but in HiMd format and a 4 AA slide in battery pack

It had Opitical in/out both , manual Rec level via a Dial seperate line out from the headphone jack and a Standard DC power jack

That would be the way to say good bye , is to finish where you started but do it right. The size for a recordist isnt an issue

I agree as well, if the units were 20 % bigger there would be room for normal sized fingers to operate the controls, and room for operation commands to be used on the unit. As to the squibbles of using the 40elk remote with the unit, until you've used the combination, you don't know how good it is. And I love having people think the remote is the device.

Bob

I agree as well, if the units were 20 % bigger there would be room for normal sized fingers to operate the controls, and room for operation commands to be used on the unit. As to the squibbles of using the 40elk remote with the unit, until you've used the combination, you don't know how good it is. And I love having people think the remote is the device.

Bob

I do like the scroll wheel on the 40elk. I do have a couple questions about it, if you don't mind me asking. First, is there a button to bypass groups? Second, with all the features of the MZ-RH1 that are accessed via the remote only, does the 40elk possess the proper buttons to access them?

Thanks!

Nathan

Not sure if I know what you mean. Can you elaborate on this?

The Macally IP-A481 external Li-ion battery attaches to the MZ-RH1 using a mini-USB 2.0 (included). I got one for about $30, but it may be cheaper if you shop around. It's fairly light, but it's definitely not the same as a clip-on AA battery pack.

The Macally IP-A481 external Li-ion battery attaches to the MZ-RH1 using a mini-USB 2.0 (included). I got one for about $30, but it may be cheaper if you shop around. It's fairly light, but it's definitely not the same as a clip-on AA battery pack.

I just got one of Macally's Jbox mini which is only (W) 2" x (L) 2.5" x (H) .5 ".

It seems to work well and is pretty small.

Not sure if I know what you mean. Can you elaborate on this?

The statement about Power only being available thru the USB port , and no External AA pack on the unit , External USB battery packs are available , several species of them ,... some work with the RH1 some dont ,

They are battery Packs that have a USB out ort on them to connect to USB devices like MP3 , MD, whatever needs USB power.

Well, it's been a few days since I received my MZ-RH1 and I'm starting to get used to the operation. I decided that it was time to try the recording feature on the unit. I have to admit that it's really easy to use and configure. I especially like the fact that I was able to change the level control while recording. I also like the fact that it time stamps the recording.

I have this one music DVD that was hard to record with my RH10 because it would cut off in one part or another about 3/4 of the way into the concert. It didn't matter if I used a dedicated DVD player or my laptop computer, it cut off somewhere. So I decided to try it with the RH1 and when I got back to see how the recording was progressing I noticed it was off. Unfortunately it cut off in a different place on my first try on a dedicated DVD player. I looked online on minidisc.org and found that I should turn off "synch recording" since that's only used for digital recording, which I did. I then got my Xitel Minilink out of mothballs, plugged in the USB connector into my laptop and the analog plug into the RH1 and started recording. I stepped out of the house as it recorded wondering if it was going to stop in the middle of the show again. I got home and found the unit off. I checked the minidisc player and found that it had indeed recorded the entire show! Yay!

I tell ya, I'm just thrilled with this unit. I had my doubts about buying another minidisc recorder and thinking I made a mistake by not buying a dedicated MP3 player, namely an Apple iPod, but after this successful recording my faith in minidisc has been restored. I certainly couldn't record this DVD with an Ipod and at the quality of Atrac 256. Outstanding. Now all I need to do is add the track marks and label them and the disc is done.

Now to find a street performer to practice my live recording skills. ;-)

Was the AA clip-on a better option than the Macally is now?

In Many ways , I wish they would come out with a closing statement in the form of Remaking the MZ-1 the very first Recorder , but in HiMd format and a 4 AA slide in battery pack

Yes, absolutely - the MZ-1 is a nice unit. The big screen and well designed controls, plus the slot-loading mechanism would make it a perfect... Hi-MD deck! So take the MZ-1 case and controls, keep the slot loading, KEEP THE TOSLINK DIGITAL OUT, make it work on 4 standard AA batteries/rechargeable cells, improve the screen resolution (keep it backlit LCD, not OLED), add USB connectivity, add an infrared remote control, and voilà, you have the ultimate portable Hi-MD deck many have dreamt of for a long time. Add a special car-stereo "slide-in" adapter with radio, or something like that, and you get the ultimate car Hi-MD player many have dreamt of for a long time. Gosh - I wish I was head-of-what-to-do-decisions at Sony, just to make this happen.

More on the wish list anyone?

Hi, I'm new to these forums, was linked to here from a PC-related forum. I've owned a MD player for 7 years, but, about two years ago, it stopped working from batteries. It still works fine with AC power and I use it to listen to music, but it's much more of a hassle to use it to record gigs without the battery power. I've been thinking about getting a HiMD for ages, but I was put off when I read that you can only upload HiMD tracks to your PC, not discs recorded using the standard MD format. So I got predictably excited when I read this:

The ability to upload old SP minidiscs to my computer (that was so cool the first time I did it)

I've got loads of old MDs that I'd love to just transfer onto my PC but can't be bothered with the hassle of recording the whole disc via line-in and then slicing it into tracks - did your comment mean that you have successfully managed to upload old MDs recorded using classic MD recorders to your computer via USB?

Are there any other players in the current line-up that can do this, or is this the only model? Also, does anyone know if this player goes by the same model number in the UK? I can find a player called "MZ-RH1" on several e-tailers, but I need to be sure that it's the same one and that it has the same capabilities (as some features are sometimes left out of European versions of Sony devices).

Please tell me all you can about this device or link me to a site that will have more details on it! I may well have found what I've been looking for two years! :)

I've got loads of old MDs that I'd love to just transfer onto my PC but can't be bothered with the hassle of recording the whole disc via line-in and then slicing it into tracks - did your comment mean that you have successfully managed to upload old MDs recorded using classic MD recorders to your computer via USB?

Please tell me all you can about this device or link me to a site that will have more details on it! I may well have found what I've been looking for two years! :)

You read correctly. I was able to grab an old SP minidisc and upload the track onto my PC. In fact SoundStage was able to even put the song label back onto the track! I was amazed. I also had one HUGE track that contained 4 or 5 songs that I didn't bother putting track marks in. That transferred without a problem.

This was all done with the MZ-RH1. It's a nice, portable unit. You may need to purchase the MZ-M200 though since the RH1 appears to be sold out. No big deal if you don't already own a microphone. It's actually a pretty good deal.

Just did it myself and IT WORKS!!! Pretty damn awesome, I now officially adore this little gadget! :) £200 was ridiculous for it considering its flimsy plasticky build quality, but for me and my hundreds of MDs which had been begging to go onto my HDD all this time it's actually a good deal!

My only gripe is why on earth does it pop up with a "Your destination directory could not be accessed" if I've specified anything but the default folder for it to save the imported tracks into?

For me, the RH1/M200 is a GODSEND!!! The capability to upload legacy format MDs (SP, LP2, LP4) is awesome, I no longer have to burn a CD of that finished MD just to load up to SonicStage (I had 3.1 and because of your recommendations here on the MDCF, upgraded to 3.4), but rather as just a mere backup in case my MD gets stolen/lost/corupted.

This unit (along with the also-new MSAC-US40) has now become a permanent staple in my PC lineup and it has seen some good use already in my system, as now it frees up my NH700 and RH710 as personal units rather than as here-and-there downloaders for use with my CDs on SS 3.x.

As for the remote-control issue in which many of you have recommended using the 40ELK rather than the supplied 38EL, I actually happen to find the remote to be more of a tremendous convenience rather than a bothersome cumbersance like some disgruntled MDCF RH1/M200 users have stated on this board, after all the convenience and advantages of having it available outweigh the necessary needs of it with this setup.

That's why you bought one, right? Ever since buying it for my NH700 a few months back, it has literally saved the cumbersome steps of using the jog wheel on both my NH700 (the jog wheel contacts are worn on my CDN version of it) and RH710 (even though the menu shoices are different on both units), so I enjoy its ease of use and its ergonomic feel and it fits perfectly with my EX90SL IEMs (and NH700)

Once you get used to it, this combination is a must for anyone who does recording at live shows, like I do. It 's a shame that Sony has decided to ditch the MD/Hi-MD format without regards to or even considering its loyal, hardcore cult following it has enjoyed outside Japan for 15 years, and it continues to be the recording standard used by on-field reporters and enthusiasts alike, remember, as the Source states in its now-forsaken Holy transcripts,

ATRAC or DEATH!!!

If you needed to know or if you were confused, I was talking about the 40ELK remote

Edited by BIGHMW