Is the RH1 Discontinued?

Rate this topic

carlie7

That’s what it says on the Sound Professionals Website. I called Minidisco the other day and the guy I spoke with said that Sony has stopped production of the RH1 and they will not be getting more in stock.

Without any announcement of new HI-MD models coming out from Sony this truly looks like the end.

I’m very happy I bought my 2 RH1’s when I had the chance!

Good thing I got mine from B & H Photo & Video this month, I could almost see this moment coming.

B & H is sold out as of one week ago

MiniDisc Access is sold out

MiniDisco is sold out

Best chance now is on eBay oe one of the three remaining (as of yesterday) at Amazon

Otherwise, you should get the MZ-M200, which is basically the RH1 with an ECM-MS70D microphone included.

NOW IS THE ELEVENTH HOUR FOR OUR BELOVED MINIDISC AND HI-MD!!! ACT NOW!!!

The RH1 is to be discontinued from Sony's consumer electronics lineup. Sony will still be offering the M200 as a part of their Professional products lineup. It will effectively remove the product from the DAP market and put it into the professional recording market.

By removing it from the consumer market and including it in the professional market, it may actually improve the format. As long as journalists and other content creators continue its support. NPR seems to run its news service on theirs, so I don't see it dying any time soon.

And besides, you could still go out buy a Sony Betamax all the way up to 2003 when they finally halted new production.

It will effectively remove the product from the DAP market and put it into the professional recording market.

If the music industry is anything like the photography business the word "professional" normally equate to EXPENSIVE - Professional=expensive. For example, you can buy a digital camera for $800 or you can buy a professional camera for $33,000. So, if the minidisc continues along the path of being a professional item, then I can see it becoming more robust if newer models come out, but also with a high price attached.

I too am glad I puchased my minidisc player from B&H two weeks ago. Then again if the M200 is going to be available then we really didn't need to really pull the trigger THAT soon.

I am gutted, i really hope Sony havent killed Hi-MD. I love the format and if they dont make new ones the prices for used ones will go up and the media will get harder to find, eventually my RH10 and RH710 will die and where does that leave me... Sad day indeed.

That is why I stocked up on both MD and Hi-MD blanks, and also own 2 of each unit, the NH700S (for personal use), the RH710B (for my inline skate gear) and also the RH1, in which as soon as I pay all my debts I have been in for 8 months I will be getting a second one of.

Having two of each guarantees that if first one dies, "second banana" fills perfectly right into place, because we all know today's units do not last as long as long as the units from 8-10 years ago.

Now, POLL time:

Should I now get duplicates of my deluxe remotes and IEM's, mainly the MC40ELK and EX90SL (for NH700), and the MC55ELKB and EX85SLB (for RH710), in case they give up the ghost, or not?

I know I will have duplicates of my stock earbuds (E808SP) and remotes (MC21, MC60 and MC38ELB), but should I sell them off or are they worthless enough (mainly the MC60 and MC21 as they are non-LCD) to keep just in case I resell the newer (deadstock) units?

Edited by BIGHMW

I bought my "reserve" RH1 last week from my local Sony Centre (UK).

They had to order it in, as they were out of stock and didn't seem to have it as a permanent stock item, but the assistant wasn't aware that it was about to be discontinued. But then my impression is that they aren't told very much by Sony in advance of decisions being made.

Theres a few RH1 in our Sony shops but its too dear for me. €369. Thats about $510 US. Especially as I'm not so crazy about some of the RH1 features. If I find a cheap HiMD 2nd hand I'll get another one. Otherwise I'll probably have to find another way to record. 2nd prices for MD, NetMD and HiMD have always been too high here. Hard to pick up a deal.