Jump to content

LP2 transfer issues - help needed

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

Ok this is a weird situation, i converted my whole MP3 collection to LP2 because it is the most supported bitrate amongst minidisc equipment, it will play on my Hi-MD player, my MDLP deck and Net-md players etc.

Next what i did was empty my sonicstage library and reimport the LP2 files so that there is no MP3s in my library.

All good so far , now if i transfer to my RH10 with the settings set to convert to 132 atrac 3 it transfers the files as without conversion, obviously knowing the file is already LP2, however if i plug in my Net-MD and do the same it creates a duplicate file , i dont think it is transcoding the Existing LP2 file to LP2 again as the converting takes about 1 second per file.

Can anyone tell me if the 50 minidiscs i have created have now got an inferior transcoded copy of the LP2 tracks on my PC?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dont get it ... if you had already converted all your mp3s to LP2, why didnt you just choose the standard transfer option (transfer AS IS without conversion) onto your RH10 and NetMD?

I had it set to convert to LP2 , i only noticed it was set that way when i spotted the duplicate files.

I set it that way when i had mp3s and LP2 files in my library, it meant that when transferring to my RH10 it would transfer the atrac and not the mp3.

Edited by doomlordis
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In that case, I doubt it performed a double conversion of LP2 on LP2. (Dont think it works that way!!!)

You also mentioned that it didnt take long to transfer (1 sec per track). What SS probably did was check the coding of your track, and if it was LP2, transfer them as is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think i know whats going on...

In sonicstage if i look at the properties of my files i now have 2 copies of it listed , now they are exactly the same size but there is one difference , my original LP2 files were encoded without any DRM so againt the copy protection field it says 'none', however the second copy says 'available'.

My theory is that Sonicstage has to add something to DRM free files to make them work on NET-MD , this may be why they transfer fine to HI-MD.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok have confirmed that the 2 files are exactly the same by converting to wav and comparing the wavs in right mark, so sonicstage is basically creating an exact copy (explains why it takes about a second) , why is the question now, i think it changes the drm settings of the file.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...