Blue-ray vinyl quality sound.

Rate this topic

Guest Gray Rider

Guest Gray Rider

Now that blue ray technology has been invented allowing a lot more space to hold songs on a disc, is it possible for sony to make vinyl quality sound by increasing the bit rate of songs to that of vinyl? Sony has got linearpcm which is the same as CD, can it not develop a vinyl kind of sound recording because vinyls sound significantly better? If I was very rich I'd be buying musical recording equipment to get a vinyl kind of sound for all my tracks, but I don't think that will happen so my only hope is sony...

Now that blue ray technology has been invented allowing a lot more space to hold songs on a disc, is it possible for sony to make vinyl quality sound by increasing the bit rate of songs to that of vinyl? Sony has got linearpcm which is the same as CD, can it not develop a vinyl kind of sound recording because vinyls sound significantly better? If I was very rich I'd be buying musical recording equipment to get a vinyl kind of sound for all my tracks, but I don't think that will happen so my only hope is sony...

A stereo Tube preamp will give you the compression that gives that "LP " quality Analouge vs Digital , failed to bring out the natural Compression that occurs when recording with analouge equipment . Natural Compression . As of yet unattainable by Digital means

It was a good read , but make sure to notice the point about the open Reel to Reel , of certain caliber being able to get a 4hz to 200 khz theoretical range.

That with that "Natural Compression " equals and Amazing Soundscape.

Yes Digital is Cool , and can be discussed untill the moon bleeds from nauseation. MD sounds good because it is that Blend of Analouge and Digital .

I think a good acceptable stance was hinted at in the article , is that in the recording enviornment today , the two need to be together .

What analog element is there on MD that isn't on a CD for example. AFAIK they are both pure digital mediums.

Take a look at the way Atrac works , also the circuitry before the A/D conversion , the Mic pre is all analouge and very good at that , Atrac doest work like a traditional digital Quantisation/Anti Aliasing noise reduction system , it works more like a DBX or Dolby S system in which frequency analysis based on amplitude and strengths are arranged and removed ,reduced , or saved , it really is a beatifull design.

MP3 takes general Bits and Bytes out to reduce file size , whereas Atrac uses a very specific freq analysis that has an Analouge "Feel" to it .

At least to me it does , when I listen to MD , and when I listen to CD There is a very subtle difference , not easily quantified , but its there . A little warmer , just .. its there.

The article quoted consumer level specs for cassette , I thought that was a bit unfair there are much nicer decks , For example the famed and revered Nakamichi CR7A , other wise known as the "Dragon" that and Sony's Portable TCD5M ( god I want one of those)

The specs on the Nak are dang near CD and the noise floor is ABOVE cd quality .

The Sony Portable 89 db S/N was quite good enough for anyone , and along with it that "Natural" compression of Analouge recording .

But again it is subjective to the listener , what each ones ears are inclined to , which is why Yoda said "The ways of the Dark side this is , endless it is, comparing ,not of listening . The way of the Source , everywhere it is , to Listen , all one needs to do . The Source , brings happines to those who know it ."

For a basic idea of Analouge beauty and theabove mentioned Sony / Nakamichi Decks ,klik this, http://www.archive.org/details/gd83-09-18....7225.sbeok.shnf

You an easily hear that the High frequencies far exeed the 14 khz mentioned in the article , This is from out in the Audience , on a Portable Tape Deck The TCD5M , then Transfered to Nakamchi CR7A > Dat> CDR

Edited by Guitarfxr