Would you trade in your SONY MD Player for an IPOD?

Rate this topic

Bumbaklot

Me, I would not. Much more beneficiary to me. After watching th I-Thief special on Dateline, I wonder if Sony if improving ways to curve the reuniting of stolen MD players with their rightful owners? But I am sure there is way around everything. Naw mean.

FEEDBACK NEEDED!!

all the best,

george

aim:zoolu420

bb pearl MESSENGER pin # 23E81C0D

What has the title

Would you trade in your SONY MD Player for an IPOD?, IPOD VS. SONY MD PLAYER

Got to do with your question?

Me, I would not. Much more beneficiary to me. After watching th I-Thief special on Dateline, I wonder if Sony if improving ways to curve the reuniting of stolen MD players with their rightful owners? But I am sure there is way around everything. Naw mean....

Whats i-Thief?

Improve what ways? What ways does sony current do it?

What kind of answers expected by this question in an MD board? :rolleyes: Self pat on the back?

Thats usually the way these things run... : :clapping:

Guest Gray Rider

Noway. I've bought iPods 3 times and sold them all because of the bad sound quality compared with CD. I recorded everything in Wav and still preferred the lively sound of my MZ-RH1 compressed at 256KBs. I keep wanting the ipod because I want all my songs packaged in non-compressed mode but when I buy one I keep thinking I'm missing out on a better CD sound of my discman. If only sony would release a LinearPCM compatable 60-100 Gig HDD walkman... iPods sound dull to me. Maybe if they incorporated a HD amp that the MZ-RH1 has got I would buy it again.

I like being able to trade/mail mix-tapes (minidiscs) with my friends that have MD.

Otherwise what... Trade iPods?

Umm an iPod. That would be 30 HiMD's or 90 Regular MD's. Do you generally send that many HiMDs or MDs to friends? :scare::shok: Impressive.

I guess someone with iPod or indeed any DAP (dunno why its ways an iPod in these iHate posts :vava: ) could use CDRW or DVDRW.

Personally since CDR or DVDR is so cheap I consider them almost disposable and generally use them instead of the rewritable ones.

Edited by Sparky191

Umm an iPod. That would be 30 HiMD's or 90 Regular MD's. Do you generally send that many HiMDs or MDs to friends? :scare::shok: Impressive.

I guess someone with iPod or indeed any DAP (dunno why its ways an iPod in these iHate posts :vava: ) could use CDRW or DVDRW.

Personally since CDR or DVDR is so cheap I consider them almost disposable and generally use them instead of the rewritable ones.

haha, no i usually send just a handful... regardless, i'm not one for wanting to lug around my whole collection (not that it would actually fit) on an ipod.

:)

I like having my collection at work on a USB powered 2.5 external. I wouldn't consider it lugging. Its pretty light.

Are ipods capable of recording? If yes, how many and what are the models? If yes, can you edit the recordings on the ipod? If yes, can you record using microphone input?

as any one here knows, my answer is MD all the way, like the look and feel of the discs, love the sound, and as raintheory states, it's easy to trade music. Plus if you lose one disc, only a bit is gone, if you lose your ipod its all gone, ( I know lots of cases where that has happened)

Sure they are different strokes , but I like MD strokes.

Bob

The cheapness and apparent disposability of CD-Rs is of the reasons I like MD. Although I have trashed a fair number of CD-Rs for one reason or another, I am not happy that such disposed-of items become part of the ever-growing mounds of garbage everywhere, or get burned up and help degrade the atmosphere.

I rarely trash an MD, though, unless it fails or is physically damaged. I suspect that most of my minidiscs will live longer than I do. So, from an ecological perspective, the minidisc is to be applauded!

as any one here knows, my answer is MD all the way, like the look and feel of the discs, love the sound, and as raintheory states, it's easy to trade music. Plus if you lose one disc, only a bit is gone, if you lose your ipod its all gone, ( I know lots of cases where that has happened)

Bob

You only lose music on an iPod if you've done something silly like delete it off the computer that it came from. With all computers you should have a regular backup. Even SonicStage has that option.

The cheapness and apparent disposability of CD-Rs is of the reasons I like MD. Although I have trashed a fair number of CD-Rs for one reason or another, I am not happy that such disposed-of items become part of the ever-growing mounds of garbage everywhere, or get burned up and help degrade the atmosphere.

I rarely trash an MD, though, unless it fails or is physically damaged. I suspect that most of my minidiscs will live longer than I do. So, from an ecological perspective, the minidisc is to be applauded!

The context was sharing disks with other people. You can use CDRWs if you want to reuse them. USB Flash Drives are very cheap now too.

Are ipods capable of recording? If yes, how many and what are the models? If yes, can you edit the recordings on the ipod? If yes, can you record using microphone input?

Well yes. But its not really a feature that in much demand, other than a small niche of people like us. Why just the iPod theres loads of other DAPs some of which can record. Not as well as HiMD, but then even with recording the other DAPs haven't set the world on fire either.

http://www.xtrememac.com/audio/earphones_r...video/index.php

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage...oduct_Id=277661

Personally I don't edit my HiMD recordings on the HiMD either. Much nicer to do it on a computer with a large screen. IMO.

Edited by Sparky191

QUOTE(bobt @ Aug 2 2007, 12:26 PM) *

Bob

You only lose music on an iPod if you've done something silly like delete it off the computer that it came from. With all computers you should have a regular backup. Even SonicStage has that option.

I know of at least three people on the island here (population about 150) who went to use there precious toy and nothing, no record of anything ever being on it, dead to the world, all their music was on a computer thousands of miles away, good product if you ask me.

Bob

...I know of at least three people on the island here (population about 150) who went to use there precious toy and nothing, no record of anything ever being on it, dead to the world, all their music was on a computer thousands of miles away, good product if you ask me.

Bob

All equipment can fail hence why you need backups. The more portable and accessible the backup the more useful it is. I've had 3 MD/HiMD units. I'm down to one now because the others have failed. (Lasers). If I was traveling and my HiMD failed the odds of picking up a new one are very poor. If I had my music as MP3's on a backup HD with me (I usually carry a 80GB 2.5" USB drive in my bag) I could easily buy any MP3 player off the shelf and get my library on to it. I also back up my work and photos from my DSLR and mobile phone on the drive aswell.

Me, I would not. Much more beneficiary to me.

FEEDBACK NEEDED!!

I did, about 3 or so years ago. MiniDisc just didn't suit my personal needs anymore at that point, so I bought a 40 GB 4th Gen iPod (still works, by the way) and from then on out I realized that DAP's were really just more for me. I enjoyed using my N10 back then, but carrying around and using MD's just became annoying to me all of a sudden.