Does Hi-MD better have sound quality over the Ipod?

Rate this topic

minidisciskewl

Has anyone noticed that ipods sound quality is crappy, i have used md for over 10 years and all i can say is md beats ipod anyday, too bad with hi-md you can't just drag and drop like ipods. I own a mz rh1 and the sound quality is great, so is my mz r50, i am using sennheiser pxc 250 noise cancelling, these are great headphones, but when i use my ipod nano the sound quality is harsh, even worse when i use the EQ. Anyone else have the same delema. Its a ipod nano second gen, 4gb.

Michael

Edited by minidisciskewl

I had an iPod for a few months, the sound is very uninvolving. It's not terrible, just boring. I noticed some clipping distortion with the bass boost. The iPod works well with an amp paired to its line out, kind of defeats the purpose of portability. After my brief love affair was over with Apple's star child, I found a sweet Sony NW-HD5 through bland1000 and that DAP has SQ which rivals MD.

I wonder how many people will ever experience high-quality audio with a portable. The rising generation will never be familiar with good sound.

Nanos really skimp on SQ. I have a Sansa E260 that blows the Nano away.

Ehehe. I'm here to offer a differing *opinion*. The RH1 is great if you like lots of treble (and therefore you think "detail".) I personally can't stand it-- much prefer the sound of the RH10, even if I have to bump the treble when playing mp3s. Maybe my ears are a little sensitive to treble and thats why my sound preferences differ...

As for the iPod... yeah. To each his own. I'm told the Cowon's sound great, but mostly I think that Minidisc followers and Sony fans in general are biased towards Sony's sound signature and not necessarily "quality". It's kinda like, whatever you're accustomed to hearing, that becomes your reference point. I used to love MD, too. I might still if they had something more than 1gb as a storage option (like I said-- the RH10 is one of my favorites for sound). But I disagree about the iPod-- I don't need an amp (nay, I rarely use an amp with my 5.5g iPod) and it sounds great with the KSC-75 and the Sony EX90. I'll conceed that I do think it sounds boring and uninvolving if I don't use the right headphones... I think Sonys are a little more diverse with how well they pair with headphones.

Alas... I don't expect MD / Sony fans to be reasonable about SQ :D

(p.s. yeah I'm not big on the Nano's sound either... I do enjoy the full sized iPod's sound, tho.)

Edited by Rumz

My MZ-M200 definately sounds a lot better than my g/f's iPod nano. The iPod has too much distortion and doesn't have EQ settings to change manually. You have to choose one of their preset EQ settings. As for the M200/RH1, the highs seem to be stronger than those on the RH10. On my RH10, for best clarity and bass response I set the EQ: 3,0,-1,1,1,3. To achieve this equivalent sound quality on the RH1, i set it at 3,0,-1,0,1,2. Overall I'm impressed with the sound quality of the RH1 where even MP3@192 sounds great. But my old Sharp MD-722 is still the bass king. Sony, when will you learn? :scratchhead:

Ehehe. I'm here to offer a differing *opinion*. The RH1 is great if you like lots of treble (and therefore you think "detail".) I personally can't stand it-- much prefer the sound of the RH10, even if I have to bump the treble when playing mp3s. Maybe my ears are a little sensitive to treble and thats why my sound preferences differ...

As for the iPod... yeah. To each his own. I'm told the Cowon's sound great, but mostly I think that Minidisc followers and Sony fans in general are biased towards Sony's sound signature and not necessarily "quality". It's kinda like, whatever you're accustomed to hearing, that becomes your reference point. I used to love MD, too. I might still if they had something more than 1gb as a storage option (like I said-- the RH10 is one of my favorites for sound). But I disagree about the iPod-- I don't need an amp (nay, I rarely use an amp with my 5.5g iPod) and it sounds great with the KSC-75 and the Sony EX90. I'll conceed that I do think it sounds boring and uninvolving if I don't use the right headphones... I think Sonys are a little more diverse with how well they pair with headphones.

(p.s. yeah I'm not big on the Nano's sound either... I do enjoy the full sized iPod's sound, tho.)

I noticed this also, but you just have to turn the treble down one notch. The bass is good though, it feels like surround bass.

I didn't like like the iPod Mini or the 4g iPod. The 5.5g I thought was ok. But the the 1G iPod Shuffle was probably the best DAP I've heard. The 2G iPod Shuffle I don't like. I like the Sony signature sound. But when I did blind abx testing with my MD/HiMD (NH700) and the various DAPs and Discman I had handy. I only placed the MD and HiMD somewhere in the middle. If I don't ABX test then it think its fine. I started ABX testing when I wasn't happy with my portable CD players. Recent CD Portables just don't sound good. IMO.

Edited by Sparky191

so you're essentially saying that anyone that differs from your opinion is unreasonable, if I'm reading this right. ;)

There are far too many variables to draw anything but subjective conclusions (so I'm not going there), but I wouldn't go so far as to say Sony's (Hi-MD/MD) signature sound(s) is not quality. It's just a different sound to everyone else, IMO, and I think that from the first-gen Hi-MD models I own that it is certainly among the best in portable land, if not the best.

Certainly the best I've heard.

Haven't tried the RH1 but I have several first-gen Hi-MD and have tried several non-Hi-MD and most of these sounded sub-par by comparison. I'm sure there are some models that are great, but I'm in no rush to hear them (MD's benefits steamroll all for my uses, I'm afraid).

Your comment about how well Sony pairs with headphones is probably due to a more balanced better sound to start with, relying less on the need for certain headphones to 'colour the sound right'.

Then again I could be way off base. It's all subjective in the end, but I've made my mind up for the next few years at least :)

As for the iPOOD discussion,

Right now I am listenig to Bruce Hornsby , Harbour Lights , that I did an Optical Copy some years ago , and I am playing it on a Sony MZ-R5ST ( the Station dock model , just before the R50) analouge line out from the docking station , to a set of Edirol MA-10D Digital monitors.

I have had my guitar students iPod connected the same way , and the difference is night and day , This is an OLDER MD deck with no LP mode but it does have 20 bit A/D D/A conversion , and there is no way an iPod will ever come close to this sound .

this is the MD communty forums , and recently it has turned into every discussion but what we do with our MD's there is more talk of DAP's and MP3 players , than about MD , and its getting to be a little disouraging

this is the MD communty forums , and recently it has turned into every discussion but what we do with our MD's there is more talk of DAP's and MP3 players , than about MD , and its getting to be a little disouraging

IMO, it's not discouraging; it's just market realities. Other devices tempt with (in many cases) lower pricing and plentiful availability, and other features like smaller size, blingy displays, etc.

As always it comes down to what's most important to the person buying and what they are looking for. Lately Sony has tried to differentiate by bundling higher quality earphones and things with their kit, and IMO I'd like to see more of this (the sub-par earphones bundled with Hi-MD weren't doing them any favours).

Their latest conference call mentioned they grew their audio market share (domestic I think, from memory) but the iPod was still worrying them (understandably). Apple has incredible momentum/ mindshare now.

Comes down to the best tool for the job. I think I may purchase additional units since I still find Hi-MD to be bargain devices which are pretty unique sonically and feature-wise given the (mostly) crap that's out there on the market (some of it Sony itself :P), but these devices are obviously catering to a different user with totally different expectations and priorities to those of the average Hi-MD user.

IMO, it's not discouraging; it's just market realities. Other devices tempt with (in many cases) lower pricing and plentiful availability, and other features like smaller size, blingy displays, etc.

As always it comes down to what's most important to the person buying and what they are looking for. Lately Sony has tried to differentiate by bundling higher quality earphones and things with their kit, and IMO I'd like to see more of this (the sub-par earphones bundled with Hi-MD weren't doing them any favours).

Their latest conference call mentioned they grew their audio market share (domestic I think, from memory) but the iPod was still worrying them (understandably). Apple has incredible momentum/ mindshare now.

Comes down to the best tool for the job. I think I may purchase additional units since I still find Hi-MD to be bargain devices which are pretty unique sonically and feature-wise given the (mostly) crap that's out there on the market (some of it Sony itself :P), but these devices are obviously catering to a different user with totally different expectations and priorities to those of the average Hi-MD user.

Well according to that statement then this wont be the MD forums much longer , my point is that this is SUPPOSED to be about MD .... And everything done with , tips triks etc , now it is just a big argument about iPOOODS ,DAP's , MP3's , and anything BUT MD

C'mon dude, you guys taking about crap/inferior DAP/MP3 this and that on this, a MiniDisc/Hi-MD forum is just as off base as me boasting about supermodel Cindy Margolis and my unique connection with her from high school in L.A. almost 25 years ago on this board.

It's just not appropriate for this particular category of topic, that MP3/DAP talk belongs (or is more appropriate for) on our sister forums on the ALC (ATRAC Life Colloquium), but not here, please.

It is OK to bash MP3/DAP/iPod units on this forum, but not to overtake the specific subject matter of an MD/Hi-MD-related subject though.

ATRAC or DEATH!!!

....this is the MD communty forums , and recently it has turned into every discussion but what we do with our MD's there is more talk of DAP's and MP3 players , than about MD , and its getting to be a little disouraging

In my opinion it because every second thread has some ill informed iHate rant. Its not like the iPods are the only DAPs, or that all iPods sound the same. Yet without fail someone has to post about iPods. Its like Godwin's law.

Not even all MD's or HiMD's sound the same. Depends on the bitrate, the headphones, amp, speakers, quality of the source that was ripped etc.

....It's just not appropriate for this particular category of topic, that MP3/DAP talk belongs (or is more appropriate for) on our sister forums on the ALC (ATRAC Life Colloquium), but not here, please.

It is OK to bash MP3/DAP/iPod units on this forum, but not to overtake the specific subject matter of an MD/Hi-MD-related subject though....

Well the specific subject matter is non MD related, as per the topic title.

Is it ok? I don't come hear to read negative topics, bashing other formats. Its usually just dull.

Perhaps the mods could make a rule that there should be no mention of iPods or anyother DAP except in specific sub forums. Any comments with iPod or other DAPs can be deleted.

Edited by Sparky191

Perhaps the mods could make a rule that there should be no mention of iPods or anyother DAP except in specific sub forums. Any comments with iPod or other DAPs can be deleted.

I'm not sure we need to go as far as deleting posts - all of the forums have descriptions as to the type of content to be found therein. We are there to help out, but at the same time expect a certain degree of common sense.

I agree that this particular tread (like many similar ones before it) has wandered a little far. Let's try and keep our cool.

* Moved to Off-Topic section

There seems to be a rabid dislike of iPods. Bit like Mac users hating PC's. I don't get it myself I'm happy to use what makes sense to me at the time. (Hugs cassette deck) Each to their own.

I have a Mac , I have had PC 's I luv Cassette ( still mad at myself for selling my WM-D6C Pro ) All I am saying is the MD forums should be about MD , and helping people get info ABOUT md , how WE use MD , Mics and accessories for the MD , etc ,

Make a specific sub forum just for Bashing iPoods , MP3 or DAP's or for the praise of them, but the general board space , should be MD

I am eyeballing the Creative Zen Stone plus...... oops !

WHOA! I think that since it has gone this far, I think I'll bring up a Cindy Margolis topic in the off topic forum while I'm at it.

HERE is something that will get you guys minds off of those iPods and other MP3/DAP crap so-called "units":

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Cindy Margolis

C-Meister6.jpg

This shot of her was taken at the world premiere of S.W.A.T. back in 2003

Now, Rich, I think the time has come to close this one, and guys, let's get back to the program at hand, MD and Hi-MD, and remember my cool now-trademark pro-MD/Hi-MD slogan, folks:

ATRAC or DEATH!!!

Edited by BIGHMW

Now that is more like it.

Have her force her own ears to have to listen to inferiority, The Source will soon be calling her way, then she will join you and all of us, and get an RH1/M200, and get in the game with us on the MDCF, and boast about how great ATRAC (and A3 and A3+) and Linear PCM sound when compared to that over-hyped iCrap.

ATRAC or DEATH!!!

Now that is more like it.

Have her force her own ears to have to listen to inferiority, The Source will soon be calling her way, then she will join you and all of us, and get an RH1/M200, and get in the game with us on the MDCF, and boast about how great ATRAC (and A3 and A3+) and Linear PCM sound when compared to that over-hyped iCrap.

ATRAC or DEATH!!!

Lol.

Wow.

Edited by The Rule

banning talk of iPods? C'mon...

Has this thread been totally useless? I doubt it. Discussing the merits and / or cons of MD in relation to iPods (and even other Sony flash/HD devices) is to be expected, not to mention comparisons with the multitude of other things.

Honestly, I don't understand this "iHate" thing. These are all our opinions, and if someone expresses a negative opinion in a competitor's (?) product it's labelled iHate?

Some criticisms are justified, just like they are when talking about MD.

I don't get the vibe that every thread is talking about iPods at all. But is it unreasonable to expect that some will ask about MD versus iPod?

If the original poster here was trying to create a stir or being insincere, I must have missed it.

banning talk of iPods? C'mon...

Has this thread been totally useless? I doubt it. Discussing the merits and / or cons of MD in relation to iPods (and even other Sony flash/HD devices) is to be expected, not to mention comparisons with the multitude of other things.

Honestly, I don't understand this "iHate" thing. These are all our opinions, and if someone expresses a negative opinion in a competitor's (?) product it's labelled iHate?

Some criticisms are justified, just like they are when talking about MD.

I don't get the vibe that every thread is talking about iPods at all. But is it unreasonable to expect that some will ask about MD versus iPod?

If the original poster here was trying to create a stir or being insincere, I must have missed it.

In the search window up top , where you search the ENTIRE forum base , type in "iPod" or DAP and see what happens.

Of the iPod or your Girlfriend? :girl_devil:

It would have to be the girlfriend :yahoo:

Edited by Guitarfxr

so you're essentially saying that anyone that differs from your opinion is unreasonable, if I'm reading this right. ;)

There are far too many variables to draw anything but subjective conclusions (so I'm not going there), but I wouldn't go so far as to say Sony's (Hi-MD/MD) signature sound(s) is not quality. It's just a different sound to everyone else, IMO, and I think that from the first-gen Hi-MD models I own that it is certainly among the best in portable land, if not the best.

Damn straight :D

Just kidding. Honestly I have no attachment to any specific format. I disliked the sound of the NH1 the day I heard it, and that was long before I cared for any iPod. My *opinion* stands in contrast to many who find the NH1 / RH1 to really sound good to them. I could never get it to sound a way that I liked it... fatigued my ears really quickly.

My point is not "iPod vs. MD", it's just that, as MD users go, I tend to find that they really prefer the sound of Atrac and/or the sound of Sony's HD amps or other units, and because of this they also tend to make non-objective blanket statements praising the sound quality of their beloved Hi-MD / MD / atrac unit (which is fine) and bashing the iPod (typically people put down other things to make the thing they prefer look better. Why do you think people have to belittle other things to make their point on any subject (not just this one)? It's a little immature if you ask me, and often a sign of some type of insecurity--or maybe they just don't know any better. They also usually fail to mention anything else in the DAP market, though I understand-- nothing else has the market penetration of the iPod and hence they probably haven't tried as many other units.)

If you knew me, you'd know I enjoy the RH10 (whereas most MD users tend to NOT like the RH10) much more than the RH1 or NH1 (given I haven't tried any of the other Hi-MD units). You'd also know that I love Atrac Type R and Atrac3plus @ 352kbps-- the latter sounding excellent on my Sony *flash* players. I've used a variety of players in the past-- MD, Sony, Sharp, and then onto the flash / hdd based stuff from Sony, iRiver, Apple, etc., so I'd like to think I'm not completely shooting from the hip on my opinions.

You'll also never find me claiming that iPod has the best SQ or this player or that player has the best SQ. It's a purely subjective argument and there's no point in making it. I'll say what I prefer and what I enjoy, but I'll never claim it to be the best. It's just the "best" for *me*.

Does this make sense? It's a mentality, an attitude. As you pointed out, there are a lot of variables (in codecs, in different models of both Hi-MD and iPod, etc) to really make an objective argument that "Hi-MD is better sounding than iPod". It really depends on what aspects of sound the user appreciates most, and it's just preference if you like one more than the other. It's one thing to say "yeah I really don't enjoy the iPod but love the sound of my Hi-MD", but another to make a blanket statement as if it's fact that one is the best. There's just no way to prove that one is absolutely better than the other, nor is there any use in doing so. You really need to go with what you enjoy most, not what the majority say is "the best".

Unfortunately pretty much everyone has pride/an ego and are set on being right and having their preferences validated. Share what you love, folks, not what you hate. I enjoy my RH10, my 5.5g iPod, and my Sony NW-A608. And I really wish Sony would step up their game in the portable audio market.

21 pages , not Topics , PAGES of topics where iPods are mentioned in one way or another ,each topic having a Buttload of pages itself ,

Still dont get it ?

:mega_shok:

Guitarfxr,

Honestly I'm at a loss. That includes people saying "like an iPod" and a whole bunch of posts unrelated in any way to comparisons between MiniDisc an iPod. I just don't see how you can avoid mention of the market-leading portable audio device, yes, even on a MiniDisc board.

I fail to see the problem, too. If you actually READ some of those results you would see the forum is actually not inundated with inane iPod mentions. So after years and years and years of selling the iPod you would expect no mention of it in here at all? Or perhaps 5 pages? Or...?

I fail to follow, with all due respect. I just fail to follow.

Unfortunately pretty much everyone has pride/an ego and are set on being right and having their preferences validated. Share what you love, folks, not what you hate. I enjoy my RH10, my 5.5g iPod, and my Sony NW-A608. And I really wish Sony would step up their game in the portable audio market.

Personally I don't feel it's an ego thing most of the time. I just feel people have preferences and like to share them. Who gets offended that their latest purchase has been dogged if they love the sound? I wouldn't. I love the sound of my MZ-NH1 (but like any unit, has unrelated design compromises), but I'll argue that it can sound shrill on lower-end crapphones compared to so-called "bassy" non-digital-amp models.

The sound really comes into its own with better headphones, and I love it.

I haven't heard anything but first-gen Hi-MD and oldskool MD though, and several iPods and iPod-like devices. Generally speaking, I think the whole DAP market is in a sorry state and very few things out there compel me to buy (but then again I am anal about removable batts n flash and the ability to record...)

Edited by tekdroid

Tekdroid , first off I will say that I appreciate that you come to this "With all due respect "

The point I am making , is that these are the MD forums , not the iPod forums , ( unless you are copying the music from your iPod , a freinds iPod , your sisters iPod) onto your MD .

The arguments and debates that are taking shape lately have NOTHING to do with MD , and therefore do not belong here . The whole concept and Title of these boards , and the reason I joined them was because they are supposed to be revolving around MD . Not the bashing of ... The use of , and ideas of others in there use of . The Captures of , and stories of , the fixing of , the trading of , and even including the wishful thinking of .......MD

"Welcome to the MD Community Forums" I believe that is what is said at the top left of the Page when you come to this site , and on every page you read .

Instead it is now a free for all about everything but MD

First let me say, iPods have there place.

Second, if you have a good stereo system or somewhat good one. I say plug in your unit and a iPod to it. A Hi-MD even at 64 kbs will have better soundstage, imaging, naturalness, and an overall more balance sound than that of a iPod at 192 kbs, 254 kbs or even 320 kbs. (Note: Most of my older recordings are in MDLP and Hi-LP but in the my older recordings are in SP and in the last couple of years all my recordings are in Hi-SP.) Least this is my experience. I can't listen to a iPod when hooked up to a Stereo for long without it wearing on my ears but I can listen to a MD/Hi-MD with enjoyment. I really wish Sony had made a Hi-MD deck.

I like my iPod because it allows me to travel light and carry alot of music with me. The sound with headphones is good but "MD" is better. The electronics in MD units are more solid have better battery life. If it wasn't for this stupid Homeland Security crap that you have to leave your luggage unlocked.I would have not bought a iPod but, I glad I did. Also I don't want to damage any of my MD units since you can't replace them. So for work I have the Shuffle. I have a Shuffle and an 80 GB. I find that the shuffle sounds better than the 80 GB. I have never hooked the Shuffle up to a Stereo though.

You should let your ears be the judge on this one. As for me I choose MD/Atrac over AAC/iPod in the sound dept..

Guitarfxr, I've got a different point of view. I don't see any reason not to entertain questions like the one that started this thread.

A lot of people check this board because they're thinking about digital audio players and recorders in general, and wondering what will serve their needs best. Since Sony has been treating the mere existence of MD as top-secret classified information, it's already pretty impressive that those folks have even noticed MD and are considering it.

We should be as fair as we can here. I enjoy MD, and I think that if someone has my exact needs, then Hi-MD is a good choice. But not everyone has my exact needs. And when I find something that suits my needs better, I'll keep my MD to play my hundreds of discs, but I won't feel bad about getting something different. At this point in gadgetland, I won't recommend MD to very many new users because when you step back, we do put up with an awful lot of quirks.

Personally, I use Hi-MD entirely for recording, and I use portable mp3 players (lately my Sansa E260) as DAPs. I'm among those who think iPods are overpriced and overrated--and my direct comparison of Nano vs. Sansa, playing back the same files, made Sansa the clear winner for both SQ and features--but I certainly haven't heard and compared every iPod model.

Pretending iPod doesn't exist isn't objective. It's certainly fair to compare iPods to MD downloaders that have the same purpose--and iPod crushes MD when it comes to convenience, size and interface, whatever the opinion on SQ. When I was using my NetMD, one comparison between mp3 and mp3-transcoded-to-ATRAC was enough to make me get an mp3 player. I don't see any reason to be "loyal" to MD if there's a better alternative for some purpose.

MD's have advantages and disadvantages, and we're the community most familiar with those. Other DAPs and recorders also have advantages and disadvantages. We can offer our perspective, and whatever experience we have with MD and any other devices we've compared them to. Here--as on boards for iPod, Cowon, iRiver, etc.--there are enthusiasts and complainers, people with high-end stereos and people who listen through cheapo earbuds, longtimers and n00bs, thoughtful people and (refreshingly few) trolls. There are some clear answers and some open-ended and subjective topics, like the eternal ones about sound quality.

Readers can make up their own minds. Let's not automatically rule anything out of the discussion.

Honestly, when using PCM or lossless and no EQ, the difference between my 5.5G iPod video and RH1 are rather negligible over Grado SR-80 headphones. The RH1 might have a slight edge in the bass department, and the iPod's high frequencies are more shrill/pronounced, but that's about it. Any differences (imagined or otherwise) probably aren't large enough in everyday listening/everyday phones/everyday environments to warrant considering one over the other. Not on the basis of sound quality alone, anyway.

My iPod and Hi-MD have happily co-existed for a long time because they are two different things - one is a small capacity audio recorder, and the other is a large capacity video/audio player. If I want high sound quality, I don't use either - I go over to my Marantz digital amp.

• 3 weeks later...

Guitarfxr, I've got a different point of view. I don't see any reason not to entertain questions like the one that started this thread.

A lot of people check this board because they're thinking about digital audio players and recorders in general, and wondering what will serve their needs best. Since Sony has been treating the mere existence of MD as top-secret classified information, it's already pretty impressive that those folks have even noticed MD and are considering it.

We should be as fair as we can here. I enjoy MD, and I think that if someone has my exact needs, then Hi-MD is a good choice. But not everyone has my exact needs. And when I find something that suits my needs better, I'll keep my MD to play my hundreds of discs, but I won't feel bad about getting something different. At this point in gadgetland, I won't recommend MD to very many new users because when you step back, we do put up with an awful lot of quirks.

Personally, I use Hi-MD entirely for recording, and I use portable mp3 players (lately my Sansa E260) as DAPs. I'm among those who think iPods are overpriced and overrated--and my direct comparison of Nano vs. Sansa, playing back the same files, made Sansa the clear winner for both SQ and features--but I certainly haven't heard and compared every iPod model.

Pretending iPod doesn't exist isn't objective. It's certainly fair to compare iPods to MD downloaders that have the same purpose--and iPod crushes MD when it comes to convenience, size and interface, whatever the opinion on SQ. When I was using my NetMD, one comparison between mp3 and mp3-transcoded-to-ATRAC was enough to make me get an mp3 player. I don't see any reason to be "loyal" to MD if there's a better alternative for some purpose.

MD's have advantages and disadvantages, and we're the community most familiar with those. Other DAPs and recorders also have advantages and disadvantages. We can offer our perspective, and whatever experience we have with MD and any other devices we've compared them to. Here--as on boards for iPod, Cowon, iRiver, etc.--there are enthusiasts and complainers, people with high-end stereos and people who listen through cheapo earbuds, longtimers and n00bs, thoughtful people and (refreshingly few) trolls. There are some clear answers and some open-ended and subjective topics, like the eternal ones about sound quality.

Readers can make up their own minds. Let's not automatically rule anything out of the discussion.

Ok 440 , I will take that one , in fact I watched the Apple iPod release this morning for the new iPods , ...... hate to admit it but I think I want one myself .

Especially the Classic at 160 gb ,...... that is a lot of storage.

Honestly, when using PCM or lossless and no EQ, the difference between my 5.5G iPod video and RH1 are rather negligible over Grado SR-80 headphones. The RH1 might have a slight edge in the bass department, and the iPod's high frequencies are more shrill/pronounced, but that's about it. Any differences (imagined or otherwise) probably aren't large enough in everyday listening/everyday phones/everyday environments to warrant considering one over the other. Not on the basis of sound quality alone, anyway.

My iPod and Hi-MD have happily co-existed for a long time because they are two different things - one is a small capacity audio recorder, and the other is a large capacity video/audio player. If I want high sound quality, I don't use either - I go over to my Marantz digital amp.

This is my way of thinking too. Love my MD/HiMD but I know what is isn't. Ditto the portable MP3 players I have. They work well together. I record a lot of stuff for my MP3 player on the HiMD. They work well together.

Have to say I'm tempted by a classic. I'm finding my 2GB MP3 player too small, and really the whole synching playlist is just a pain. With a Classic I could just finally just put all my music on it.

Edited by Sparky191

same argument on the Classic, how many drops is it going to take to shatter that small hard drive? For me I never need more than two or three hours at any go, why do I want thousands of songs?

I guess thats we have choices, so far mine is MD

Bob

If you've a habit of dropping expensive electronics, I guess don't buy them. Same would apply to a decent camera, DSLR, PDA etc. I wouldn't go back to the inconvience of a film camera because digital cameras aren't as robust, regardless of the quality of film. Its not about listening to X amount of hours. But listening to the right 3mins.

Edited by Sparky191