Connects 2 ASONWHD001 Walkman Adapter

Rate this topic

BIGHMW

I happen to own a few (about 4) Connects 2 ASONWHD001 interfaces, which allow me to use my Sony MZ-NH700 connected to my Sony MDX-C5970 HU in both of my vehicles (the extra two units were bought strictly as either backups with the cords being used a either replacements or spares), so I just wondered what your experiences with this wonderful one-of-a-kind (since Sony will never produce one of their own) unit have been, good or bad?

As they say in the sports/talk radio biz, "the lines are open right now folks, so get on the horn, and get in the game right now!"

Edited by BIGHMW

how d'you get the MD text titles to display? I haven't figured that out as yet...

What Walkman are you using it with?

I happen to use the NH700 with mine and the album/artist/track titles come up with it. Try reseting the HU, there should be a micro button behind the face plate, after you remove it, known as the reset button, try pushing it with a pin or other pointy object to reset your head unit, with the ignition in your car turned OFF and the key out of the ignition (NOT in ACC), then your unit should work well, but also, check your connections, any Hi-MD that uses an LCD remote should work fine with this unit.

Edited by BIGHMW

What Walkman are you using it with?

I happen to use the NH700 with mine and the album/artist/track titles come up with it. Try reseting the HU, there should be a micro button behind the face plate, after you remove it, known as the reset button, try pushing it with a pin or other pointy object to reset your head unit, with the ignition in your car turned OFF and the key out of the ignition (NOT in ACC), then your unit should work well, but also, check your connections, any Hi-MD that uses an LCD remote should work fine with this unit.

I've got the asonwhd001. With my NH900 I can see the artist/track (I need to push on display on the reciever to change from artist to track name) titles on my cdx-700d reciever, but not the album tiltle.

With the second (rh10) and third generation (rh1) himd units , I only got the control, but no title!

I remember to read on this forum or atraclife that the connects2 adapter needs an update for recent Sony portable units. Do you think it will fix the issue ?

Edited by garcou

Then indeed it is (or could be) a firmware issue, you could have an older C2 unit, visit the Connects 2 website at http://www.connects2.com (they are based in the UK), your box may need a firmware upgrade, you can ask them in their forums about it (they do have a contact address and they do respond very well).

They can give you the mailing address in the UK to send your box to get the firmware upgrade needed for it, and I suggest you send it via registered Airmail, so it will get there in the fastest and most secure way possible, they will be more than glad to upgrade the firmware for your box promptly.

As for use with second and third generation Hi-MD units, I have never tried it either with RH710 or RH1, only my NH700, but then again maybe I should get all 4 of my boxes upgraded as well so I can use those just in case my backup NH700 ever gives up the ghost after the first one goes.

thank you, BIGHMV.

i will phone and try a firmware update.

WoO: the connect2 box is made for(*) 1) controling FF/FW track of the md with the Cd car reciever 2) displaying the MD titles on the reciever screen.

With my sony cdx-gt700d and mz-nh900 I have both of them, but only track and artist name (I need to push on "display" on the reciever to change from trackname to artistname). the notice of the box says to push "repeat" function on the reciever to display album name instead of artist, but it does'nt work. With mz-rh10/rh1/rh710 there's not any title...only the FF/FW control works.

(*) Obviously the box allows to play the sound of the MD through the amplifier of the reciever! (the sound is very good, no lacks of power even with the headphones output because the boxe provides a little preamplification)

Edited by garcou

That's good Wiz, it's just too bad that U.S. owners can't get their boxes reflashed dut to the fact that Aardvark Multimedia (holder of the former distrubtorship known as Connects 2 USA, now defunct) dropped the Connects 2 lineup last year and now we have to send them direct to Connects 2 Headquarters in the U.K., which I wil do via registered Airmail.

I just wonder if they reflash unmarked, (but still genuine) Connects 2 boxes, as when I was in the process of cleaning up a couple of used ones removed the labels off the boxes , unfortunately including the (now-known) serial number and other ID stickers, but I am sure they will hopefully understand it was in the process of cleaning them up, and I had no knowledge that it was the serial number on the bottom of them (with the "Connects 2" decal on the top of course).

Also I have a chrome Connects 2 box I bought last year at Crutchfield (when Connects 2 USA was around), I just wonder if they will reflash that one too.

Edited by BIGHMW

I just installed my ASONWHD001 today in conjunction with my Sony CDX-GT710 head unit. I can't get the title from my MZ-RH1 to display on the head unit either. Can anyone confirm that getting the ASONWHD001 reflashed will allow this feature to work? Wiz, could you PM me the Connects2 phone number that Car Audio Plus gave you?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My EH1 displays titles just fine! Damn its proprietary connection though. I could get a cheap EH50 and have the cradle fixed in the car I guess. Can someone confirm it can play back while charging?

Does the MZ-EH1 display all three: artist/album/track info on your head unit? Like can you "use the Sony head unit Repeat setting function to switch display from Album & Track [repeat disk] to Artist & Track [repeat off]..." where "switching display settings... will not take effect until the next track plays or the Track Up or Track Down button is pressed?"

What I have found out with my MZ-NH900 is that under normal working conditions it can only display the Artist & Track info with the press of the Display button regardless if I press the Repeat button. However, if I fool around with the Display menu on the unit and switch it to say "Title 1" or "Title 2" I can get the Album info to display but no Track info, it says “NO TEXT” and I can't switch back and forth. What I have noticed when the Display menu is set to "Lap Time" (the default) the Artist & Track info appears immediately on my head unit. This leads me to believe that the ASONWHD001 has been programmed to read the same variables that the LCD on the unit displays.

I would venture to guess that any other walkman device that has the "Lap Time" setting in the Display menu could hypothetically have its Artist & Track info displayed on a head unit as well of which the MZ-RH1 does not have :(

• 2 weeks later...

Does the MZ-EH1 display all three: artist/album/track info on your head unit? Like can you "use the Sony head unit Repeat setting function to switch display from Album & Track [repeat disk] to Artist & Track [repeat off]..." where "switching display settings... will not take effect until the next track plays or the Track Up or Track Down button is pressed?"

What I have found out with my MZ-NH900 is that under normal working conditions it can only display the Artist & Track info with the press of the Display button regardless if I press the Repeat button. However, if I fool around with the Display menu on the unit and switch it to say "Title 1" or "Title 2" I can get the Album info to display but no Track info, it says “NO TEXT” and I can't switch back and forth. What I have noticed when the Display menu is set to "Lap Time" (the default) the Artist & Track info appears immediately on my head unit. This leads me to believe that the ASONWHD001 has been programmed to read the same variables that the LCD on the unit displays.

I would venture to guess that any other walkman device that has the "Lap Time" setting in the Display menu could hypothetically have its Artist & Track info displayed on a head unit as well of which the MZ-RH1 does not have :(

Exactly the same for me with my nh900: only artist/track names when pressing display button on the cdx-GT700D car unit.

Unfortunately, not any tiltle display on the head unit with Mz-rh710 , although it display tiltles on the md unit itself...

Edited by garcou