HELP! Had to reinstall XP without SS being backed up!

Rate this topic

Karmageddon

I just had HUGE problem (hardware) with my PC.

Had to reinstall the OS from scratch, new hard drives, new PSU, new RAM...

In the process of my computer dying, I wasn't able to create a backup of my library which has well over 1000 CDs at ATRAC3+ 192 (70+ GBs).

However, I still have all my imported files seperated into their own folders.

The folder setup is like this:

Hi-MD Music\"artist - album title"\all pertinant ATRAC files & album art

Is there a way I can recover these or do I have to re-rip EVERYTHING from scratch?

Any tips would be of great help. It took me months to get my collection sorted out.

Thanks in advance

Edited by karmageddon

If those tracks were ripped without copy protection (SS4.x or later), you're fine.

If those tracks were ripped with copy protection, you're screwed.

Welcome to the world of Sony.

Well, they were ripped with SS 3.4 that came with my MZ-RH1 with NO copy protection.

So I am screwed then? I thought 3.4 was where they ditched the DRM?

Edited by karmageddon

I'm not 100% certain but I think its only off if you turned it off before you imported them into SS.

Have you tried importing any of them?

Yes, I did remove to Copy Protection on install of SS 3.4 (on the original comp's setup) and all my recordings had that feature removed (I have verified this before my comp went down)

I haven't tried to import anything yet.

Wondering what would be the best way? to drop the entire Hi-MD Music folder on SS? Or import each album seperatley thru the Import Folder option?

Yes, I did remove to Copy Protection on install of SS 3.4 (on the original comp's setup) and all my recordings had that feature removed (I have verified this before my comp went down)

I haven't tried to import anything yet.

Wondering what would be the best way? to drop the entire Hi-MD Music folder on SS? Or import each album seperatley thru the Import Folder option?

As long as they were ripped without copy protection you should be fine. Just re-import either via File => Import => Music File and in the Open files dialog select all the folders, or do it via the Scan Folder option.

The only thing you will have to do is re-add all the cover art and date info manually to the albums. The art will either be in the same folder as the tracks for each album as jacket.jpg or in a sub-folder of your library called "fringe"

And make a backup of the files before trying to import them. No one knows what problems may arise.

I would also advise importing by albums, and not the entire collection at once. And remember, that after importing, the music will be stored at the place you imported it from, and not in the usual SonicStage folder. That is, do not delete the files. Or you may manually put them into "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\SonicStage\Packages" before importing.

Well, they were ripped with SS 3.4 that came with my MZ-RH1 with NO copy protection.

So I am screwed then? I thought 3.4 was where they ditched the DRM?

I just couldn't remember when Sony put the no copy protection option. As long as you know you didn't check the copy protection checkbox, you should be able to just re-import the tracks.

Well so far so good.

I uploaded a couple of albums last night and they work. I can play them, edit them & transfer them.

So no issues.

I remember I had this problem before and it was much more complicated (probably due to Copy Protection being set, can't remember...)and I couldn't transfer, play, rename, move, etc...

But it all works now.

BTW - all of the files will remain in the folder scheme I had set-up from my previous installation.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Hope this thread can be useful to someone else.

Cheers for now!