"Track from PC - No Edit"

Rate this topic

Hungerdunger

I'm just curious: If I import an MP3 to SonicStage then transfer it to my RH1 in LP2 format, I am unable to divide the track on the RH1, getting the message "Track from PC No Edit". If I then put the disc in my ageing JB940 deck I can divide the track with no problems.

It's therefore no big problem for me, but I can imagine for someone who had only a portable, there might be circumstances when they would want to trim the beginning or end of the track and be unable to. So does anyone know whether it's a limitation of the technology or is it still a bit of DRM which Sony refuse to let go of. If it's the latter it seems particularly pointless.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, this is a remnant of DRM. Very unfortunately, it is in the hardware.

So, let's say I download a radio podcast in MP3 on my computer. I transfer it to the RH1. It cannot be edited or even deleted?

And I though the RH1 got rid of this type of restriction. So, any way to defeat this?

1) Burn the track(s) to a Virtual or Actual CD

2) Mount or insert the CD

3) Use Simple Burner to transfer the tracks in NetMD mode (LP2 or LP4)

4) Edit all you want on the unit!

-

SonicStage transfers = No editing on unit (regardless of transferred format).

Simple Burner = Editing possible with NetMD modes, but not Hi-MD modes.

Edited by raintheory

As I mentioned, if it is transferred via Simple Burner (in NetMD mode) you can edit all you want. I have done this numerous times and am positive it works.

Thanks, raintheory. Excuse my ignorance, but how do I do steps one and two in your previous post? Has someone here written a "walkthrough" for this procedure?

I'm not sure if a walkthrough has been written or not...

If you have CD-RW discs, you can just use them. Use your Mp3's to burn an audio CD with whatever program you use for CD burning (CDBurnerXP Pro is a good freeware one) and then use Simple Burner (available in the "downloads" section here in the forums) to transfer the CD to MD. Be sure to select NetMD format in options.

If the CD burning program you use has the ability to write a "CD Image" (.nrg, .iso, or .bin/.cue), write the audio CD as an image and use a program such as "DAEMON Tools" (http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/download.php), or "Nero ImageDrive" to mount the image, then fire up Simple Burner as before and transfer.

What CD burning program do you use?

Edited by raintheory

If the CD burning program you use has the ability to write a "CD Image" (.nrg, .iso, or .bin/.cue), write the audio CD as an image and use a program such as "DAEMON Tools" (http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/download.php), or "Nero ImageDrive" to mount the image, then fire up Simple Burner as before and transfer.

What CD burning program do you use?

Thanks for the reply. I normally use either Winamp or Nero to burn CDs. However the version I have of Nero is the OEM version and I don't think ImageDrive is included. I'll have a look at Daemon tools tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply. I normally use either Winamp or Nero to burn CDs. However the version I have of Nero is the OEM version and I don't think ImageDrive is included. I'll have a look at Daemon tools tomorrow.

I use DAEMON Tools myself, great program. Feel free to PM me if you need any help getting this working.

Trouble is that most cheap soundcards do not output the original digital signal from CD via optical out. The level of the signal is changed, and it does not contain trackmarks.

The level shouldn't change, but you do miss out on trackmarks when playing an entire album, for instance. All depends whether or not that matters if it's gonna be edited on the machine, anyway.

The keeper is the ability to extract audio from anything the pc can play (not just a standard CD/DVD), and avoiding some of the losses analogue conversion adds.

Tried once more (following a similar discussion in a Russian forum). Setting the "Wave" volume slider on the PC to the highest position gives the original CD level on the optical output (regardless of the position of the "CD Player" volume slider, for an obvious reason). But trackmarks are still missing.