MZ-RH1 in the car!

Rate this topic

Gnavicks

Thanks for all the comments, it makes it worthwhile. I'll let everyone know when my new Connects2 ASONWHD001 arrives if it will allow the titles to be displayed on the headunit with my MZ-RH1. Since I have my new setup in my car I am selling my old headunit on eBay, which was the Sony MDX-CA680X. Click here to view the auction.

My new (reflashed, about a week ago) Connects2 ASONWHD001 adapter arrived today directly from jjsteeleuk and it sadly does not allow the titles from my MZ-RH1 to be displayed on my Sony CDX-GT710 headunit. I even swapped the new leads with the old ones and reset the headunit but still no titles would display. Does anyone have any suggestions or a recommendation on the latest Hi-MD player that will allow the titles to be displayed on the headunit?

When you turn the car off, does the rh1 automatically stop playing, or do you always have to remember to manually stop it?

Yes, the MZ-RH1 automatically stops playing when the ignition/accessory switch is turned off. It also stops playing when a different source is selected or when the off button is pressed on the head unit. I usually use the off button as a pause button since the dedicated pause button doesn't work on the head unit. Also, the group skip and shuffle buttons don't work but that isn't a problem for me. Thankfully, the search/seek buttons work (FR/FF) for both selecting the track you want and seeking to a particular spot in a track forward or backwards. I just really wish I could get the titles to display now.

I found this out, when using my NH700 with my MDX-C5970 in my VW Bus, that the way to select group/album folders is to use the changer buttons (marked 1-6) to change the group/album (depending on your settings). Just go one-up i.e: from 1-2 or 3-4 to go up the next album or down twice, i.e.: disc 2 then disc 1 in succession, in order to go back a group or album.

As for the lack of titles for the 2nd and 3rd generation Hi-MD units (i.e.: RH710/910/10/M100 and RH1/M200) as opposed to only the first wave of Hi-MD units (NH1/600D/700/F800/900 units), that is some news to me. I own all three generations of units (2 NH700, 2 RH710, and an RH1 unit as well) and that is a bit of a shocker. I would have thought that the good folks at Connects 2 would have tested an RH710 and an RH1 or M200 to see if they displayed titles so they can have the latest firmware in which to reflash the ASONWHD001 to read titles off of on the HU itself.

Edited by BIGHMW

• 2 weeks later...

Bad News!

I contacted Connects2 technical support department and this is what they told me about the compatibility of the ASONWHD001 and the Sony MZ-RH1.

Connects2: We have not tested the MZ-RH1 with the ASONWHD001, therefore we cannot say whether track titles will be displayed with this Walkman. It sounds like the Walkman uses different software to that of the MZ-NH1 and MZ-NH900 Walkmans that we do support.

Me: Do you have plans to test the MZ-RH1 with the ASONWHD001?

Connects2: At the moment there are no plans to test anymore Minidisc Walkmans due to lack of popularity.

Solution? I just bought a used MZ-NH900 from Amazon for $175. There are some on eBay too!

I hope the MZ-NH900 works with my Motorola VC700 Car Charger and fits my

Sony Universal Velcro Car Minidisc Case. I'll let you know when it gets here.

Edited by Gnavicks

thanksfully , I've got a nh900, but I'm disappointed that Mz-rh710 or rh1 will not display the titles even with an update of the connects2 adapter...

Good thing I have two MZ-NH700 units.

I was gonna get a pair of NH600D units to go along with it, but, for car use, but, the NH600D has no DC in jacks,

therefore that specific unit won't work with my MD/Hi-MD compatible DCC-E230, which does work with the NH700.

One more question, I have the Connects 2, I have the NH700, and I have the DCC-E230 DC adapter, will the DC adapter cause any noise or interference while playing the NH700 through the car deck using it and the Connects 2?

Perhaps one of you may have an answer, as I have successfully used this setup before minus the DC adapter, however I don't want to waste the batteries, as Energizer E2 Lithium batteries are quite $$$, but, if you want the best, it's gonna cost you some $$$.

I just got my MZ-NH900 today; I'll post some comments and pictures when I get everything in place in my car. Now I'm looking for a car charger that will work with it. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've tried my Motorola VC700 Car Charger but it doesn't do anything. I believe the MZ-NH900 can only use the power over USB via the computer but not recharge from it; so I guess that is why the VC700 doesn't work with it. Anyway, could you still provide power to the MZ-NH900 via its mini-USB port? Also, is there such a thing as a tip that would attach to my Motorola VC700 Car Charger's mini-USB plug to convert it into the plug that is used by the wall adapter?

I just got my MZ-NH900 today; I'll post some comments and pictures when I get everything in place in my car. Now I'm looking for a car charger that will work with it. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've tried my Motorola VC700 Car Charger but it doesn't do anything. I believe the MZ-NH900 can only use the power over USB via the computer but not recharge from it; so I guess that is why the VC700 doesn't work with it. Anyway, could you still provide power to the MZ-NH900 via its mini-USB port? Also, is there such a thing as a tip that would attach to my Motorola VC700 Car Charger's mini-USB plug to convert it into the plug that is used by the wall adapter?

You could also go to Radio Shack or an equivalent and get a small inverter, plug your cradle into it, and voila charging in the car.

Have fun

Bob

http://minidisc.org/part_Sony_MZ-NH900.html According to the description USB powered thru PC connection . Not just any USB adapter will work. On a PC connect there is a resistance between pins 2 & 3 of the USB , That tells the MD it is connected to the PC , A lot of USB adapters for power , have only Pins 1 & 4 connected + / - so what you need is the Sony 12 volt to USB adapter , I have one and it works perfectly . I use mine with a portable 12 Volts battery

Model no DCC-U50A USB Charging Car Battery Adaptor

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct.act...ry=PAA+Car+Kits

I tried looking for it on eBay and also on eBay UK, and none to be found, they are also not in the Sony USA site. I hope that will change soon, as this would be perfect for using the RH1 in the car!

Or does Sony USA (once again) not give a damn about its customers :aggressive: , much like they denied us here in the States of great ATRAC CD units like the D-NE700 (I own two of them from Australia) and D-NE800 (Asia/Japan-markets only, didn't get one) CD Walkman units and also the MZ-NH700 (Canada and Australia) and MZ-RH710 (U.K., hacked) Hi-MD units that I had to import, thanks to the good folks at eBay, I was able to get these units.

I found the DCC-U50A USB Charging Car Battery Adapter on Zalmar.com for $19.90. http://www.zalmar.com/detail-Video-A_V_Acc...es-DCC_U50A.htm

Guitarfxr, so you've tested the DCC-U50A with the MZ-NH900? Does it actually charge the battery or just provide the unit with power? In the MZ-NH900 manual it states that "it is not possible to charge the rechargeable battery in the recorder while using the bus power connection." Also, since this adapter has the resistance between pins 2&3 as well as power on pins 1&4 (+/-) wouldn't the unit just say its in PC--MD mode and block requests from the ASONWHD001?

I found the DCC-U50A USB Charging Car Battery Adapter on Zalmar.com for $19.90. http://www.zalmar.com/detail-Video-A_V_Acc...es-DCC_U50A.htm

Guitarfxr, so you've tested the DCC-U50A with the MZ-NH900? Does it actually charge the battery or just provide the unit with power? In the MZ-NH900 manual it states that "it is not possible to charge the rechargeable battery in the recorder while using the bus power connection." Also, since this adapter has the resistance between pins 2&3 as well as power on pins 1&4 (+/-) wouldn't the unit just say its in PC--MD mode and block requests from the ASONWHD001?

It charges my RH1 just fine , actually better than others I have used , it has the proper pin out and setup for the charging the MD so it should work.

I took bobt's advice and just picked up the RadioShack Universal Low-Power DC Power Adapter (273-1811) today and it works great with my MZ-NH900 when set to 3 volts. It is a bit inconvenient though when I need to actually charge the MZ-NH900 because I have to actually press the stop button but it's really no big deal since the battery lasts long enough when Quick Mode is turned off.

I would like to get the Sony DCC-U50A USB Charging Car Battery Adapter but since in the MZ-NH900 manual it states that it is not possible to charge the rechargeable battery in the recorder while using the USB connection, I don't think I will. It would be a wise investment for the MZ-RH1 but I already use the Motorola VC700 Car Charger, which is a lot cheaper.