general HiMD info etc.

Rate this topic

Nate A

Hi all... new adopter here :rolleyes:

I picked up a used MD unit at a used record store because I realised, it's the only reasonably modern way to get music off my Win NT workstation, via analogue recording. my CD drive is dead, the zip drive is dead, no usb etc....I know I ought to get a new PC but...

anyway, I'm really diging the format alot. I have some random questions regarding HiMD. but I spose some could be relavent to MD in general.

I'm curious, about how long the avarage MD player lasts ?

can a disk be affected by magnetic fields ? I'm a welder and I've been using my NHF 800 in the metalshop where I work and no issues so far. I put masking tape over the various ports except the headphone jack (I haven't been usung the remote) to protect it from dust, but a welding machine generates a magnetic field and steel objects around it will become magnetised somewhat.

I picked up a headphone amp in an altoid tin, it works but since I use JVC canalphones (they work so well in a metal shop as ear plugs) I don't seem to hear alot of difference with the tiny drivers in them. I'm waiting on a set of Ultimat Ears super fi 3 and some Shure E4c's too, they're in the mail now.

I'm tempted to buy a slim HiMD player only unit for work, any feedback on which would be the most durable, smallist, thinist unit ? an all metal case would be best I think.

I'm interested in getting an RH1 but that would stay away from work.

I'm also wondering if there's much difference in the discs, brands I mean. so far I have some random used discs from that same used record store plus 3 new blue 1 gig discs. they are Sony, Victor, TDK and maybe a Fugi or two. any brand I should stay away from ?

my friends at work are pod people and dang, I just think it's really cool I could record off their unit but they can't take from mine...well, I'd love to swap files with them like kids do with game saves on their game boys (damn the DRM)

anyway...thanks for all the work on this site and board. it's been a very helpful refrence

for an all metal unit you can try going for the NH1, or for playback, the EH1, looks about a sharp as you can get. Hard to tell how long they last, till they quit i suppose, have two NH1's that have seen a lot of service, still ticking, have an N-707, with the dreaded recording cable problem,

I don't think I'd worry too much about the magnetics, EMF may be a problem, but my Mig welder hasn't killet my units yey.

Welcome,

Bob

About disc brands:

I personally had bad experiences with Memorex and an off-brand called Hi-Space.

No problems with Sony, TDK, Denon, Fuji .

Magnetism won't affect the discs, which are optical.

The cases, if they're metal, are magnesium or aluminum if I remember correctly, non-magnetic.

Someone who's been into the guts of MD units might know: are there any small iron or steel parts to worry about?

About disc brands:

Although I do not use Hi-MD, regular MDs can be reformatted for Hi-MD use, so I thought I would add my two cents.

Because all MDs sound the same, the best thing to look for is solid construction; for example, the Sony MDW80P.

I've had no problems with JVC MDs, So I'd add them to the "OK" list. My TDKs have fared well, as have the Maxells.

Memorex MDs have been suspect for a long time, although so far none have caused me any obvious problems. Still, I tend to not use them as readily as others. No problems yet, either, with Hi-Space or even Princo. All three of these brands appear somewhat less sturdy than others, at least to me. It's possible that one of these kinds of disks, or another brand, or not a disk at all, caused the demise of my first Sony MDS-JB940 deck, which developed a problem where it would not read any disks - but I have no evidence of that.

Because all MDs sound the same, the best thing to look for is solid construction; for example, the Sony MDW80P.

Congratulations on selecting MD!

Congratulations on selecting MD!

thanks bluecrab, really happy with my unit and the format overall, my only gripe is probably the same as anyones here and that's that it's a dead format. the only reason I can see for that is it lets us users create too perfect of copies of our music too easily. even the DRM is wiped out with an analogue copy of any CD...great for me, bad for anyone that owns the copyright of the music. funny cause I never got into the whole napster craze and I still havent gotten into taking tons of music free off the net. like from bit torrent or newsgroups.

anyway, thanks for your answers, helps alot. I'm shure I'm gonna stick with it and buy more gear and discs.

Edited by Nate A

thanks bluecrab, really happy with my unit and the format overall, my only gripe is probably the same as anyones here and that's that it's a dead format. the only reason I can see for that is it lets us users create too perfect of copies of our music too easily. even the DRM is wiped out with an analogue copy of any CD...great for me, bad for anyone that owns the copyright of the music. funny cause I never got into the whole napster craze and I still havent gotten into taking tons of music free off the net. like from bit torrent or newsgroups.

anyway, thanks for your answers, helps alot. I'm shure I'm gonna stick with it and buy more gear and discs.

It isnt dead , it is an Aging Jedi , that will recede into the Desert country, or some remote Planet , until the Chosen One comes. Trust in the Source .

Yoda