Still huge user of Hi MD in my family

Rate this topic

mangizmo

We listen to alot of Audiobooks in my family, my wife is not one to change for the sake of it, and she likes and understands minidisc, and we all use Hi-MD (my two teenage sons also)...why...because it works, I am well versed with Sonic Stage...and I actually quite like it, we own two NH-600s, and a 900 also, I have just bought another NH-600 on E-Bay, that will sit connected to the line in on our kitchen minisystem

I use a NH-600 in the car with a FM transmitter through the stereo...I drive 800 miles per week and constantly listen to audiobooks non stop which I download from Audible.co.uk..the routine is, download the book which has DRM, I then record the audio in realtime overnight, and convert to MP3...no big deal really, note these books are often 20+ hours long, I store the MP3 on a hard drive, and burn the audio to Hi MD for myself in the car

I have tried MP3 players, and they are not all they are cracked up to be, the good ones are expensive and have internal batteries ...Hi-MD is cheap, reliable and we like it....just hope the software is supported into the future...transfer speed is a bit slow..but not too bad really, and the discs are bomb proof

We will continue to use the format as long as we can get the hardware

^_^; i love MD too. several years ago when i first went into university, i bought myself a MD recorder whose type is SONY R70, which is a very old virsion. and when i graduated from my bachler, i got interested in the SONY E10, 10 years anniversary product, it's very attractive and sexy. i remembered when SONY released E10, SHARP, who is always proud of its sound system, also released its new type DS8 at nearly the same time. and of course, it's very hard for consumers to make a choice, so my friend and i finaly decided that we purchased them each and share them each other, sure it's a very good way to experience both of them...After that i turned my way to IPOD VIDEO for around a year, my feeling of it is 30G is really fantastic that i can bring my music libarary any time any where, but the poor performance of battary always bother me a lot!! and the sound quality is also not that good, my friend noticed me before that IPOD is not bornd to sound, and i now think he's right...So now i decided go back to the family of MD, my latest choice is SONY RH1 and it's already on the way from Japan ( I purchased it via Japanese shop on the Internet). wish such experence can never stop its pace.

I left minidisc behind in April of this year... since then I had purchased an iPod (owned it for one day), sent it back (hated the sound) and then got the Sony Vaio Pocket. The Vaio Pocket is awsome, and since it plays ATRAC it was the perfect solution for me. Yet... just a few days ago I was playing around with my neglected MZ-NH900... and I fell in love with MD again. I forgot just how GOOD it sounded for one thing. But I'll admit another big reason is just the cool gadget factor. Minidiscs are just plain COOL. I don't know, maybe I'd be over them if I started with them in the early days, but I only jumped on board in 2004 when HiMD was just starting out. Anyway, just saying I love using Hi-MD too!!

Edited by theblueraja

Raja , if you would have been there for the First MD like I was , that first Sonic image would still be burned into your mind so firmly , that an iPod would only have been an afterthought nothing more .

To go from the days of Cassette directly to the Sound of MD ...... I still remember .

And not just the sound - but to be able to move almost instantly from one track to another was incredible.

The shock value of that alone was worth the price of admission to that show wasnt it . ?

I had all the Pro decks from Marantz back then , and abused them daily , then when I heard the MZ1 , .... it was like Time just stopped for a moment and stood perfectly still just long enough for the slap of the new reality to hit me squarely in the face .

We as long term MDer's are in need of one of those really good slaps right about now , just one good really exiting one before Sony drops us off the face of the earth.

I felt the same way one there is an alternative other than cassette. The CD was there but for me, its not as 'portable'. I remember when I went to Richer Sounds in Liverpool, UK that the staff there recommend me to get a Digital Compact Cassette (DCC) over MiniDisc when I asked if they hold any stock. Luckily, I did not fall into the Dark Side and stick with the decision to get an MD. Still using it not and not thinking of jumping to the iPod Generation anytime soon and I also use 'Film' camera. Heh.