Audacity>Editing radio rec'dg>On a MDS-JE470 Deck

Rate this topic

vore

I recorded a radio show on Audacity (5 hours long), transferred it to Sonicstage and as usual I was not able to edit it or add track marks using any of my portables.

I thought I would try it with one of my decks. Using the JE470, I was able to divide the tracks at the commercials, delete the track that had commercials and now instead of 1 long recording I have 10 tracks. So the least expensive deck Sony makes allows you to circumvent all of Sony's Sonicstage restrictions???

I recorded a radio show on Audacity (5 hours long), transferred it to Sonicstage and as usual I was not able to edit it or add track marks using any of my portables.

I thought I would try it with one of my decks. Using the JE470, I was able to divide the tracks at the commercials, delete the track that had commercials and now instead of 1 long recording I have 10 tracks. So the least expensive deck Sony makes allows you to circumvent all of Sony's Sonicstage restrictions???

See this recent thread for more discussion:

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=19729&hl=

In Audacity , move the Playhead marker to where you want to make a divison , go up to "Edit " Divide Track , or Split track . or easier , is just to drag and highlight the part you dont want , and hit Delete on your keyboard .

Take the time to read the help files in Audacity , That program if you really take the time to get to know it intsead of surface skimming like most people do , has quite a few tricks up it's sleeve .

And yes all the Recording Portables will let you edit ,track marks etc.

In Audacity , move the Playhead marker to where you want to make a divison , go up to "Edit " Divide Track , or Split track . or easier , is just to drag and highlight the part you dont want , and hit Delete on your keyboard .

Take the time to read the help files in Audacity , That program if you really take the time to get to know it intsead of surface skimming like most people do , has quite a few tricks up it's sleeve .

And yes all the Recording Portables will let you edit ,track marks etc.

Audacity is a great recorder but the editing functions leave a lot to be desired. Finding specific areas in a 5 hour recording then deleting them is frustrating, time consuming and well downright impossible. I tried to edit in audacity, I was better off listening to the disc on the deck, fast forwarding to the commercials and then making the divisions and then deleting them.

Ahhh , ok he downloaded to the MD , then editing in the MD , not before hand ,got it. yeah that sucks

I recorded on Audacity from a Sirius satellite show (Howard Stern) then transferred the 550MB file to Sonicstage, then onto a minidisc. I then edited (divisions/deletions) the mini disc recording on my deck.

Edited by vore

OK hungerdunger another correction , .... I thought you could edit. Just guess the portables ???? I am on a Mac so ,I havent used Sonic Stage .that would seem restrictive though . I never used MD with a Windows sytem , everything was done in the MD's themselves , all recording, editing , etc.

I didnt actually start uploding anything from MD till I got the RH1 , in fact that is why I got it . But now the Flash based recorders are taking over .

@vore .. why Howard Stern ??? The md doesnt deserve that !!!!! :shok:

OK hungerdunger another correction , .... I thought you could edit. Just guess the portables ???? I am on a Mac so ,I havent used Sonic Stage .that would seem restrictive though . I never used MD with a Windows sytem , everything was done in the MD's themselves , all recording, editing , etc.

I didnt actually start uploding anything from MD till I got the RH1 , in fact that is why I got it . But now the Flash based recorders are taking over .

@vore .. why Howard Stern ??? The md doesnt deserve that !!!!! :shok:

Been recording Howard for years..it must be A.D.D. or something...lol. I have close to 2,000 md's of the shows. MD was a godsend. I used to use cassette and VCR tapes.

If you play around with Audacity, and look at the various kinds of views eventually you get a sense of what different sounds look like in the waveform. I sometimes use it to edit speech recordings, and breaths, coughs, throat-clearing, etc. all have characteristic shapes I can now recognize.

Since Howard Stern sometimes reads the commercials himself, it may be hard to spot those, but when there's a different kind of sound--music, a different voice--it should look different in some of the views.

Also, since you've listened to a zillion of his shows, doesn't he tend to do commercials every X minutes? You could just look at the time scale in Audacity and start looking where the commercials usually appear.

If you play around with Audacity, and look at the various kinds of views eventually you get a sense of what different sounds look like in the waveform. I sometimes use it to edit speech recordings, and breaths, coughs, throat-clearing, etc. all have characteristic shapes I can now recognize.

Since Howard Stern sometimes reads the commercials himself, it may be hard to spot those, but when there's a different kind of sound--music, a different voice--it should look different in some of the views.

Also, since you've listened to a zillion of his shows, doesn't he tend to do commercials every X minutes? You could just look at the time scale in Audacity and start looking where the commercials usually appear.

He's on Sirius Satellite now and commercials come when he wants so there are no real set times. I do watch the waveform and I know what you mean by "seeing" what a cough or a sneeze looks like. I find it easier to just edit on the deck then editing from Audacity.

My actual radio recordings are made directly onto 80 minute minidisc on LP4 mode with my deck thru my satellite receiver and amp. I'm just getting into the software issue with minidiscs.

I did want to rip some of the earlier recordings I have onto a CD. I thought I could simply high speed transfer them but then I came upon Sonicstage and the restrictions and frustrations you all have been going thru for so long. Unless I buy the RH1 I'll have to record via analog and that just ain't happening. Each show is 5 1/2 hours (+-) long. I'm reading some reports that even the RH1 will only transfer (high speed) HI-MD recordings. All of my MD's are LP4.

It was an issue of the high(er) costs of minidiscs. I buy them in bulk of 100 vs. the cost of the RH1/M200. If I can use the RH1 and high speed transfer them to a CD I can apply the costs of the MD purchase to the recorder and after a year or so I'll actually save money (?)...lol

definitely using the source, with 2000 MD's he deserves to be an MDA, whatsay TC

Bob

What is an MDA?...I've been a member of this community for some time but I'm just now getting into the software problems. I am by no means an expert on MD other then I happen to think it's the greatest form of recording technology that ever existed when you compare editing features with the sound quality and "The Cool" factor of the recorders themselves.

I'm just (almost) getting over my anger with Sony for their paranoia and shortsightedness while most of you nice people have been suffering thru it for years.

I'm doing further reading on ATRAC and the development of the technology and the creative genius that brought it into actual practice. It's a shame it's all falling by the wayside.

I did want to rip some of the earlier recordings I have onto a CD. I thought I could simply high speed transfer them but then I came upon Sonicstage and the restrictions and frustrations you all have been going thru for so long. Unless I buy the RH1 I'll have to record via analog and that just ain't happening. Each show is 5 1/2 hours (+-) long. I'm reading some reports that even the RH1 will only transfer (high speed) HI-MD recordings. All of my MD's are LP4.

Hey vore , on the RH1 you record in HILP mode , it gives you 34 hours on 1 disc using a HiMD disc , on an 80 min Disc you get 9 + Hours , I record from the internet AOL Radio , and iTunes Radio then pop the discs in my HIMD player for when I am out , So i can umm ,..... Listen to the radio .

( gos that sounds like a line from Steely Dan " I'M reading Last years papers ..... although I dont know why...... assassins , con's and rapers .......might as well dieeeee ee ee eeiiiiiiiii )

What is an MDA?...I've been a member of this community for some time but I'm just now getting into the software problems. I am by no means an expert on MD other then I happen to think it's the greatest form of recording technology that ever existed when you compare editing features with the sound quality and "The Cool" factor of the recorders themselves.

I'm just (almost) getting over my anger with Sony for their paranoia and shortsightedness while most of you nice people have been suffering thru it for years.

I'm doing further reading on ATRAC and the development of the technology and the creative genius that brought it into actual practice. It's a shame it's all falling by the wayside.

MDA, an informal "club" anyone can be a member, roughly speaking Mini Disc Anonymous. or Addicted, same thing, you just pledge allegiance to the Source, pull the donkeys tail, and your in

Bob

I recorded on Audacity from a Sirius satellite show (Howard Stern) then transferred the 550MB file to Sonicstage, then onto a minidisc. I then edited (divisions/deletions) the mini disc recording on my deck.

Just one question on that particular Howard Stern show....

Was Cindy Margolis a guest on that episode you did onto MD? Cindy is my hero and sole role model for me in the entertainment business, as an independent musician as well as a former high school classmate of hers (Erikson Center, 1983-84), we have a tremendous respect for each other that has grown over the past 23 years since we both graduated.

Just one question on that particular Howard Stern show....

Was Cindy Margolis a guest on that episode you did onto MD? Cindy is my hero and sole role model for me in the entertainment business, as an independent musician as well as a former high school classmate of hers (Erikson Center, 1983-84), we have a tremendous respect for each other that has grown over the past 23 years since we both graduated.

Cindy appeared on Howard's Show a few times but not recently. You can check out a site called Marksfriggen.com and do a search. If I have a recording of her I will gladly copy it for you and email the audio if that's at all possible.

Marksfriggin lists in detail (it's almost a transcription) every show Howard's done since the mid 90's

Below are a few of her appearances/references.

http://www.marksfriggin.com/search.htm

Cindy Margolis Calls In. 12/16/98. 6:45am

Cindy Margolis Plays Game. 11/13/98. 7:10am

Where Are They Now? Elisa (Cindy Margolis' friend)

More On Nude Cindy Margolis Pictures. 8/20/01. 7:20am

Howard's Thoughts On ''The Cindy Margolis Show''. 8/28/00. 8:05am

Cindy Margolis Interviews Richard Simmons. 1/28/99. 7:15am

Cindy Margolis ''Bikini Babe Bowl-A-Rama

The Mike Walker Game With Guest Cindy Margolis. 1/23/98. 7:00am

Cindy Margolis, the most downloaded woman on the internet,

MDA, an informal "club" anyone can be a member, roughly speaking Mini Disc Anonymous. or Addicted, same thing, you just pledge allegiance to the Source, pull the donkeys tail, and your in

Bob

I pledge allegiance to the Source

And to the united Atrack that combines us

And to the Audio for which I heard

with no comparison to Ipod

One community, under MDFC guideines

Indivisable

With the cool factor for all.

OK...wheres the mule? Does it kick?

Hey vore , on the RH1 you record in HILP mode , it gives you 34 hours on 1 disc using a HiMD disc , on an 80 min Disc you get 9 + Hours , I record from the internet AOL Radio , and iTunes Radio then pop the discs in my HIMD player for when I am out , So i can umm ,..... Listen to the radio .

( gos that sounds like a line from Steely Dan " I'M reading Last years papers ..... although I dont know why...... assassins , con's and rapers .......might as well dieeeee ee ee eeiiiiiiiii )

I have my receiver and MD deck remotely controlled to turn on automatically every morning. My Satellite receiver has a time feature that also turns on automatically. Even If I over sleep or I'm out...I still record the show. My deck isn't HI-MD and I can't use my portables because they can't be remotely controlled/timed to go on.

With some of my older portables I accidentally erased a few minidiscs. I'm reading up on how to TOC edit/clone a disc. All of the reference materials I've seen have conflicting/confusing information. Recording a whole week worth of shows on one disc I'd need a HI-MD deck. Way to expensive. And you can't clone a HI-MD disc if it's accentually erased.