MZ-RH1 "no disc"

Rate this topic

vlad4003

Today I was downloading stuff using SonicStage from my MZ-RH1 and while I downloaded like 5 full Hi-MD of my recording without problem, with the final one, while deleting a track, the unit suddenly "breezed"... and started making weird sounds like if the engine would like to move the optical head further but there would be a physical obstacle that would prevent it to move that far (see I am describing what immagination the sound triggered in my fantasy rather then what actually happened). This would happened before, very scarcely, from time to time, ever since I bought the unit. The unit would go on with such a sound and the sort of "time out" and everything would be fine again. The same happened today (but the delete action) wouldn't finish in SS. So I restarted SonicStage, restarted the unit and when SS came up, it said it was determinig what files got deleted without their right being transfered (or something similar). I then got back the click-"head-jumping" sound and it would go on for a long time this time... so in the end, when all my cancellation efforts failed, I unplugged the USB cable from the unit. This made SonicStage crash, but the unit continued with its sound making, just to stop with "READING ERROR" after another while. Now, no matter what disc I insert into the unit MD/Hi-MD ever since, I get "NO DISC" sign on the unit... it doesn't even make the usual engin-starting sound, it just clicks few times and then I get this message... Any thoughts, similat experience anyone? Is the unit fucked?!

If so, I still have my warranty, but will feel a bit shit. While my first unit MZ-R701 still works till these days, I eventually switched to MZ-RH10 as I need uncompressed recordings. MZ-RH10 was A REAL DISASTER in any means! It had a great display and navigation, but here stop anything good you can say about the "unit". The battery life was ridiculously short, making it virtually useless (short time battery recording, huge broom with a mic and a power cord plugged in - later not really units' "fault"). And it died exactly 1 year after I bought it... the engine or the optics died, just 1 week after my warranty expired. The service women were kind enough to backdate my complain, so it got repaired on SONY's expenses. I sold it. I bought MZ-RH1 a year ago, maybe 13 months? And... the unit is fucked now, probably. The warranty is 2 years this time, but is SONY serious with such a record?! I mean, we are talking about 350euro worth unit!

Talking to Sony: >> Shame on you guys! Where is your dignity!!! <<

:glare:

(/me stares at his RH1... )

That really sucks, sorry to hear of your RH1's apparent demise... "breezed" seems like a very odd message, I wonder where that one came from...

If it's still under warranty I would definitely suggest having SONY replace it, ASAP. Definitely not normal behavior for an RH1 (or any other unit) at this point in it's life....

Let us know how it goes.

I think he meant Freezed , his english sounds like it is under very heavy northern european constraints .

But , yeah that is sad about the RH1 , it sounds like he does a LOT of downloading /uploading though . 5 HIMD's not standard mds HI md's at 1 sitting ??? Just how much is he using it everyday ? and how does it get treating in the interim .

Sounds like Heavy Daily use and a Record head Cable issue . He just needs to get it to Sony .

What are the values at addresses 0121-0124 and 0211-0216 of your units? I had a similar problem with 80 minute MDs in my first RH1. Solved it be adjusting the reading laser power for that type of discs. The second unit got the same adjustment the moment it arrived. No problems ever since.

But since vlad4003's unit no longer reads neither MDs, nor Hi-MDs, I suspect the problem may be more serious. Looks like the laser or the engine is physically dead.

Edited by Avrin

Here I am back. I got it to Sony and they said they will try to fix it in 2 or 3 weeks. When/If they fix it, I'll let you know what caused the problem. As for the Guitarfxr's concerns: Yes I carry my minidisc with me every day and use it quite often for recording my musical ideas/ambience sounds/live shows. It is a 350euro unit so I treat it with an appropriate attention, though not treating it as a "museum piece". But it can hardly be defined as a heavy use. I was downloading 5 Hi-MD's that I filled in the last 3-6 months. So I am a normal user I guess.

Every thing can break, and it's all right, but am I just starting to wonder whether it is all right if exactly the same thing keeps coming back again and again, with various models from the same producer, after approximately the same period of use.