Sonicstage will not recognise my MD port

Rate this topic

jamie0168

Got the last version of Sonicstage installed, got the md plugged in, device manager said that the port was working properly.

Opened Sonicstage, saw nothing related to md, clicked on "music source", "import music file", then "import music folder" and never found the md files.

Why won't sonicstage recognise my md port? HELP pretty please!!

I used the port that came with my sony MZR900 which was an XITEL MD Port DG2. It's MDLP, btw.

And it's not the USB port that's faulty. It's brand new. And it works just fine with other devices. It's got to be Sonicstage or the md, or the md port. The MD doesn't turn on when I plug it into the USB, btw. Does that have something to do with it?

I used the port that came with my sony MZR900 which was an XITEL MD Port DG2. It's MDLP, btw.

And it's not the USB port that's faulty. It's brand new. And it works just fine with other devices. It's got to be Sonicstage or the md, or the md port. The MD doesn't turn on when I plug it into the USB, btw. Does that have something to do with it?

The MZR900 is NOT USB , it only has Line Out /In Mic in , where do get USB from ?????? if it is a 900 your barking up the wrong tree dude .

Only the N series which are net MD have USB ports .

You cannot use an Audio port with USB !!! Audio -> Audio , USB -> USB

Sonic Stage isnt GOING to recocnize that unit

http://minidisc.org/part_Sony_MZ-R900.html

MZ-R900_W_01_low.jpg

Dont get me wrong , not trying to be mean , and the 900 is a Cool MD unit , just that your trying to put a square peg into a round hole

It is really important to actually understand , what you are trying to do , and whether in CAN be done or not . Otherwise your going to get results you don't want .

Edited by Guitarfxr

Here is a photo of what he has:

xiteldg2_r_image3.jpg

What it does is converts the audio signal from PC to Optical via USB... The optical signal can then be used with any recorder that has optical/line in. There is no actual USB connection to the recorder itself, per-se... So no, the computer won't recognize the recorder but should recognize the MD Optical port thingy.

In Guitarfxrs terms it converts the square hole into a round peg ;)

I still don't think it uses SonicStage though...

Edited by raintheory

Here is a photo of what he has:

What it does is converts the audio signal from PC to Optical via USB... The optical signal can then be used with any recorder that has optical/line in. There is no actual USB connection to the recorder itself, per-se... So no, the computer won't recognize the recorder but should recognize the MD Optical port thingy.

I still don't think it uses SonicStage though...

So either way he might as well go thru the souncard . I would suspect that USB adapter , doesn't carry or convert track info or anything else , just extracts the audio from the Binary and sends it out as optical .

Yeah, you can get a soundcard with optical output for relatively cheap anyways ( http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=5165 I have one of these and it works great )... Might be easier than trying to fiddle with that old Xitel thingy.

Here is a review of the "thingy" for those interested: http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/xiteldg2/

Edited by raintheory

Wow, I've got some research to do. I didn't understand alot of what you just said, lol. So, I can still connect it to a computer, I just need to get different software (which one) or this sound card thingy? Keep in mind, I'm not an expert at this technology stuff, lol.

Hey Jamie , I am on a Macbook Pro , so I dont need an additional soundcard ,I have Optical out and in . But If you dont have that , ( Opticals) then I might suggest the M-Audio Transit . it is a USB Audio interface , that gives you Optical In/Out , and on the same jacks Line IN/Out with adjustable gain for either input or output .

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit-main.html

transit.jpg

It works for Windows and Mac , I have one that I use for field work and others computers if I need the sound quality.

Fis in a pocket and works great .

For recording from your Computer Connect the MD and put it in Record Standby mode. Then with whatever Audio player that is on your computer Start the song you want , while it is playing check your levels on the MD . When the levels are where you want them , strat the song again and hit the pause button on the MD to start recording . Very simple , just the same as if you were recording from a CD player . Just make sure that no other progs are running or, that YOU arent doing anything , because any Mouse kliks or Notices ( Beeps etc , will come thru the sound card )

You can also , if you use the Optical port set the MD to SYNC Mode , and when you start the song ('s) it will automaticall start recording .

To record FROM the MD -> Computer , use the program called Audacity , it is a Freebie , and an absolutely nessascary (BOO!) Audio tool

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Audacity-logo-r_50pct.jpg

Edited by Guitarfxr

What are you trying to do with the MZ-R900?

SonicStage will never be able to control or connect to that unit, with or without the Xitel. SonicStage was made for later MD units that had their own USB connectors.

If you're trying to get recordings from the unit to the computer, you have to record them in realtime out of the headphone jack (or buy the MZ-RH1, which is the only unit that will upload them). You can use Audacity, as guitarfxr said.

If you are trying to get music into the unit, you also have to record in realtime through the line-in port. The Xitel was made to provide an optical signal for that port, but you can also just record with a plug-to-plug cord: headphone out (or line out if your computer has it) to line-in.