MDR-D777SL Altus HD (Eggo) headphones

Rate this topic

BIGHMW

I am thinking about getting a pair of the new HD Sony Altus MDR-D777SL (Japan Version, available through Audio Cubes or "buyfromjapan" on eBay) headphones to go along with my MZ-NH700 and tandem them up with my twin remotes (my newly-acquired RM-MC39LT and the RM-MC40ELK) and my MDR-EX90SL N.U.D.E EX IEM's,

I just wondered what some of you might think of them for those who have heard them. Are they as good as they look, they look real stylish and I wonder about their durability over the years as well as their sound quality, especially with a 5 mW per channel unit like the NH700.

• 2 weeks later...

bump.

I just bought a pair of the MDR-D777SL units from Jun Ibraki and the good folks over at "buyfromjapan" on eBay, and I will be featuring an MDCF/ALC-exclusive review and pictorial of these babies next week as soon as they come in from Japan, so stay tuned!

I will find out, one way or the other, when I get them in this coming week or next, I think your issue may be with your EQ settings on your unit, also, the NC60 units only have 102 dB and an high impedence of 40 ohms in active mode (100 dB and 100 ohms in passive mode), and having owned (and resold) the MDR-NC50 headphones I dont want to put up with having to buy an external headphone amp just to drive them with my MZ-NH700. I would rather that my unit (5 mW + 5 mW) drive a set of cans or IEM's rather than get a Boostaroo or similar to do it for me.

The purchase wasn't just made on looks, which are cool, and a blend of polished chrome and brushed silver aluminum, and are similar to my MDR-EX90SL IEM's and MDR-NC22 IEM's, they were mostly based on stats like a loud 106dB at only a measly 24 ohms, and a huge frequency response ratio beyond that of even human hearing (8 Hz-80 KHz) and are meant to replace my subpar MDR-NC6 cans, which while they too were 106 dB at only 20 ohms (in active mode), the mid range was too fat for me, and the bass and midrange drowned out the highs. I am the kind of guy who like to hear the whole spectrum of a recording, no matter what genre, and just let the EQ take over in shaping the sound to being just right.

they are terrible phones just to keep it simple, and dont match up to d66 at all. and btw you can get the NC version (NC60) of d777 for 70 bucks in ecost.com

At your suggestion, I just got the NC60 JE Version (Japan Edition, I myself prefer SL/SP and JE version units because of the shorter cord) on eBay (I paid $200 bucks for them, as they include a Japan Edition-exclusive remote-friendly 0.5m cord along with the rest of the standard gear of course), and I will be doing a thorough MDCF/ALC-exclusive review as soon as these guys and the D777SLs come in next week via EMS Speedpost.

I will be testing both cans with many different units, so I will get more of an idea of how they sound (remember units vary by wattage and frequency response/sensitivity).

Also, I will be blowing out all of my other headphones and remotes (mostly factory stock, bundle, OEM) pretty soon, so watch for them in the Classifieds section of both forums. Then I will just have (for remotes) the RM-MC40ELK, RM-MZ33 (for the newly-acquired MZ-E33, which came wioth my newly-acquired MDS-JE520 deck), and RM-MC55ELK and for phones just the N.U.D.E EX IEM's, the Altus (Eggo) HD Series, and V-Series Stiudio Monitor cans.

I just got the D777SL's in today and from the first sound impression (after a little tweaking of the onboard EQ) I like what I hear.... full pictorial and review on these later on in the week, when I have enough time to actually fully test them out.

The build on them looks a bit delicate but when you pay $150.00 USD for them straight outta Japan (from Jun Ibaraki and the fine folks at "buyfromjapan" on eBay) you almost should treat them with kid gloves. They were never intended to be used in industrial environments like my job at the Jefferson Recycling Center I will sure as hell guarantee you that. That is what the cheaper phones are for, such as the bundle units (or the EX71SL's, so to speak) that come with your Walkman.

I know that I should also test them a flat EQ settings as well, as Guitarfxr suggested I do on my next and on all further pipe/can reviews, and that I will, including tests on many different units, and not just my MZ-NH700.

Thanks,

Ray Jackson

I listened to them this afternoon at Sofmap Gigastore , with my 930 , They were ok , but the higher ohmage really dropped the output , and they didnt fit my ears very well.

I am aware that they are 24 ohms, so I turned up the volume from 17/30 (for my 16 ohm EX90SLs) to 20/30, and they are pretty fat in the 250 Hz-1 kHz frequency range and I had to cut the 250 Hz band on my NH700 down to -9 dB to accomodate for that. (Thank God for 2 custom EQ settings on my NH700! Now I have one for my IEMs and one for my cans!)

Now the big adventure will be when I get my new NC60's (JE Version, the ones with the 0.5m cord) as they are 40 ohms (with NC on), maybe I might have top either put it at 25/30, or buy a Boostaroo Revolution or Penguin Amp to accomodate for it, and yes, I prefer the replaceable "AA (A)(A)" or 9 volt battery convenience of them.

i hope you do realize you can buy new Long cord version of d777 for around 60-70 bucks these days, but the point is watch those rubber parts connecting to phones to the headband, i know too many people breaking them it aint even funny

I am more than aware about their delicate build, having read all the crap said by Amazon.com reviewers about their breakage (you notice they don'teven bother to review their SQ), that's why you should treat them with kid gloves. They were definitly not meant for use at an industrial or construction work site even during lunch break, so ts speak. that is the job of either bundle units or at best some EX71SL's (not my good 90SL's that's for sure).

As for the MDR-D777LP, the long cord (non-Japan, JE) version of these units, I hate to say it, but that's why I prefer SL and SP (and other JE, Japan Edition) versions of cans and IEM's, it is for the shorter cord, and money is no object when it comes to the matter of convenience, especially if you own a remote-controlled unit such as most of our MD/Hi-MD units.

That is also why I ordered a JE Version of the MDR-NC60 NC cans as well, for its two cords (0,5m and 1.5m cords) that are included with it, as my old U.S.-bought MDR-NC50 (and my now-modified U.S. NC6 NC cans, before having fit a 0.5m cord off a bad pair of EX71SL's and keeping the extension from them) had only a 1.5m cord and was too long for its intended purpose.