Speculation : A final MD device independent of Sonic Stage

Rate this topic

1kyle

Just wondering if Sony will surprise us all with an "RH1" type device that will work WITHOUT using SS (but will also be compatable with SS). I.e tracks can be loaded via SS or by any other program such as Windows Explorer etc.

The RH1 is still selling suprisingly well -- I was hoping to get another unit cheaply -- I assumed that people wouldn't buy an RH1 anymore with the demise of ATRAC but it seems people are snapping these up while they still have the chance.

Blank MD's (74 / 80 min) are also reasonably still available --but in the unlikeliest of places such as often in Supermarkets (Morrison's) etc.

Maybe there's "still life in the old dog yet".

Cheers

-K

What are the figures?

I'm not privy to Sony's sales details but I do often walk down London's Tottenham Court Road where there are very many electronics stores.

These often have a few RH1 Units in them. While walking down the street to compare prices (this is still one London Street where you can "Haggle Prices" with the individual shops) you will find that by the time you've gone back to the first one or two shops the units have all been sold. The store owners usually say also that their next consignment is 90% sold out as well.

OK this is a bit "empirical" but these shops DO sell loads of this type of stuff and I have no reason to believe these guys are lying.

Perhaps Sony itself has been a bit surprised how well a device everybody thought had had its day is still doing so well and won't release the sales figures to avoid embarassing its own management.

Cheers

-K

Greetings,

I just checked both EBay and Amazon for MZ-RH1. Zippo! These are getting scarce as a hounds tooth.

If you have source that you can provide URL link I for one would appreciate it.

Hope the RH1 I own never goes bad.

I need a backup soon.

I don't know where you live, but in the UK Amazon still has several RH1s to sell you, and Amazon.com in the US has the MZM200 here:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MZM200-Professi...7047&sr=8-1

Just wondering if Sony will surprise us all with an "RH1" type device that will work WITHOUT using SS (but will also be compatable with SS). I.e tracks can be loaded via SS or by any other program such as Windows Explorer etc.

The RH1 is still selling suprisingly well -- I was hoping to get another unit cheaply -- I assumed that people wouldn't buy an RH1 anymore with the demise of ATRAC but it seems people are snapping these up while they still have the chance.

Blank MD's (74 / 80 min) are also reasonably still available --but in the unlikeliest of places such as often in Supermarkets (Morrison's) etc.

Maybe there's "still life in the old dog yet".

Cheers

-K

Not going to happen, though I like to see it happen as much as you do.

This will require SONY to entirely ditch any DRM mechanism in the MD/HiMd system, and that may be a bit too much to expect from a media giant.

This will require SONY to entirely ditch any DRM mechanism in the MD/HiMd system, and that may be a bit too much to expect from a media giant.

Yeh, as pant-wettingly exciting as that would be, the odds of being hit by lightning are far higher than that proposal getting past Sony management, I reckon.

Of course I hope insanity prevails.

Not going to happen, though I like to see it happen as much as you do.

but what do you want?

With current version of Sonicsatge (4.3) and RH1 you can dowload , upload , any type of analog/digital(optical-USB) - exepted MDLP SS transfered tracks - convert them to wave or unprotected atrac, from a computer to another...

but what do you want?

With current version of Sonicsatge (4.3) and RH1 you can dowload , upload , any type of analog/digital(optical-USB) - exepted MDLP SS transfered tracks - convert them to wave or unprotected atrac, from a computer to another...

absolutely right, and with RH1 Mac useable as well

Bob

but what do you want?

The whole idea (for me, at least) is to have a device that doesn't have to have SonicStage installed - at all, usable under any OS natively. Also, to make the hardware more reliable and less chance for error. Not to mention reduce complexity 100-fold. It would also be nice to be able to use standard recovery applications should any disc get deleted.. or should any track get corrupted... and this still happens, and happened to me (for the first time) a few weeks ago.

Nothing important on it that I hadn't had elsewhere, though.

Also the time taken for silly conversions is so restrictive and counter-intuitive. Native unprotected files created on the hardware is what we want (and what sony gives us in their higher-level flash recorders).

Edited by tekdroid