Help me find the right mp3 player please !

Rate this topic

Harkee

Hi, I am from iceland and I have used my MZ-R70 for almost 6 years now and I guess it is time for a new player.

Now, I have been reading alot of reviews and stuff about new MD players but it seems like everyone is haveing a problem with everything.

What I want is a mp3 player, I have alot of downloaded mp3 songs in my computer witch I want to put over on to a HiMD or whatever, without a problem, with drag and drop function if possible and then just listen to it !

It needs to have VERY GOOD sound quality !

A recording function would be nice too, but its mainly just a mp3 player.

What MD player or mp3 player do you think is the best for me ?

price does not matter.

Best regards and thx for a cool forum !

Hi, I am from iceland and I have used my MZ-R70 for almost 6 years now and I guess it is time for a new player.

Now, I have been reading alot of reviews and stuff about new MD players but it seems like everyone is haveing a problem with everything.

What I want is a mp3 player, I have alot of downloaded mp3 songs in my computer witch I want to put over on to a HiMD or whatever, without a problem, with drag and drop function if possible and then just listen to it !

It needs to have VERY GOOD sound quality !

A recording function would be nice too, but its mainly just a mp3 player.

What MD player or mp3 player do you think is the best for me ?

price does not matter.

Best regards and thx for a cool forum !

RH1/ M200 ........ M100 is older model

The M100 does not have good sound quality on mp3. Only the RH1/M200 does.

While the RH1 does have excellent sound quality, and is a great recorder, to me it seems like a very expensive mp3 player if that's going to be its only use.

I suggest a Sansa E260 or E280 mp3 player. E260 is 4GB and will accept an added 2GB MicroSD card. E280 is 8 GB and will also accept an added 2GB MicroSD card. You can simply drag and drop folders of mp3s onto either one. Sound quality is considerably better than the iPod Nano, interface is easy (as long as the mp3s have good ID3 tags) and Sansa also improves upon the Nano in other ways: the MicroSD slot, a (built-in rechargeable) battery that can be replaced by the user and a voice recorder with built-in microphone. But the voice recorder has very low recording quality.

While the RH1 does have excellent sound quality, and is a great recorder, to me it seems like a very expensive mp3 player if that's going to be its only use.

I suggest a Sansa E260 or E280 mp3 player. E260 is 4GB and will accept an added 2GB MicroSD card. E280 is 8 GB and will also accept an added 2GB MicroSD card. You can simply drag and drop folders of mp3s onto either one. Sound quality is considerably better than the iPod Nano, interface is easy (as long as the mp3s have good ID3 tags) and Sansa also improves upon the Nano in other ways: the MicroSD slot, a (built-in rechargeable) battery that can be replaced by the user and a voice recorder with built-in microphone. But the voice recorder has very low recording quality.

440 ,... he said he wanted MD . specifically MD that would play MP3 .

I want to put over on to a HiMD or whatever, without a problem, with drag and drop function if possible and then just listen to it

The Sansa is definitely a "whatever." I treat my RH1 very carefully, which is why I think a knockaround flash mp3 player is a more practical choice.

Thank you for a great response !!

I am going to check on the sansa player, it looks pretty damn good !

RH1 is very tempting but the prize if of course a little bit high and specially here in Iceland

I know I should be able to read around the forums for these anwsers but is it possible to move mp3 front and back from the RH1 to my PC without useing somekind of software like sonicstate ?

I read somewhere that if you record something on it (RH1) you cannot put that in you're computer as a mp3 and burn it on disk AND that sonicstate has some artist protection thing or something like that ?

I am reading bullshit on the web or what ?

Is it possible to move mp3 front and back from the RH1 to my PC without useing somekind of software like sonicstate ?

I read somewhere that if you record something on it (RH1) you cannot put that in you're computer as a mp3 and burn it on disk AND that sonicstate has some artist protection thing or something like that ?

You need to transfer mp3s through SonicStage, unfortunately.

Old MDs did not upload at all. That's probably what you have been reading. Hi-MD changed that, but with a two-step or three-step process rather than drag-and-drop.

You record the file. You upload it through SonicStage. Then you convert it to an unprotected format like .wav or .mp3.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, take a deep breath, relax, here's the full explanation.

We would all prefer that MD used an unprotected, drag-and-drop format. But the facts of life are that it doesn't.

MD files are not recorded in mp3. They are recorded in Sony's own ATRAC formats. On Hi-MD, that ATRAC is .hma, an encrypted format that can be played back on a minidisc unit or with SonicStage.

Hi-MD (including the RH1) DOES upload to your computer, into My Library in SonicStage.

The original files you uploaded are copy-protected. They become .oma files, still copy-protected. BUT once they are in your computer SonicStage can convert them to .wav, which removes all copy-protection, and those .wav files can be burned to CD or converted to .mp3 like any other .wav files.

There's also another program, Hi-MD Renderer (free from Downloads here), that can take the files in My Library and convert them directly to .mp3 without going through .wav in between.

Finally, SonicStage itself WILL allow you to remove copy protection from the files you upload with its built-in File Conversion Tool. That still leaves the files in an .oma format that is no longer copy-protected. But only computers that have SonicStage installed can play .oma files.

------------------------------------

Which is why I say, again, if you want an mp3 player, get an mp3 player. If you want a tiny palm-sized high-fidelity recorder that has level controls, editing on the unit and the other useful features of MD, then get MD and put up with its quirks.

440 ,... he said he wanted MD . specifically MD that would play MP3 .

He said MD or mp3 player. :closedeyes::P

I have the sansa and would not classify it as having good quality sound. It's okay but not great.

You probably cannot get a hold of the iAudio X5/X5L anymore but it does have excellent sound quality. It records too. Mono only though, through the built in mic. Recording quality is best suited for speech but I have used it to record outdoor concerts and a few indoor events. Again, it does an okay job but cannot compare to MD's recording abilities.