2 Poor Recordings

Rate this topic

dukem

Hi

I need some help with my recording please, I've just started out with a Sony Hi-MD MZ-NH700 and ECM-DS70P Condenser Stereo Microphone.

My 2 recordings have been unlistenable...

1. I had it set for Mic Sensitivity High and it came out too loud and distorted and was rubbish, any guitar/drums made it distorted.

So I set it to Mic Sensitivity Low for the next show.

2. It still came out bass heavy and distorted, you cant hear the guitar, its just a mess.

Please can someone tell me what im doing wrong?

thank you

Attached are 2 mp3 samples of each recording

001_2007_09_15_22_58_11.mp3

001_2007_10_13_23_16_39.mp3

It's not you. It's minidisc recording. The mic preamp in the unit can't handle loud amplified sounds or even moderate bass, causing overload and distortion.

You need to lower the signal going in, and there are two ways to do it:

The cheap way: The Radio Shack Headphone Volume Control, as pictured in my avatar, about $7. Turn its volume control all the way UP and run Mic-->Headphone Volume Control-->Mic-in (red jack)

The more expensive, cleaner-sounding way: A battery module. I use this one:

http://www.microphonemadness.com/products/mmcbmminminc.htm

But there are other choices at Microphone Madness and at www.soundprofessionals.com

With that, you run Mic-->Battery Module-->Line-in (the white jack). Line-in is for amplified sources, and the strong signal from loud music plus the power from the battery module is strong enough for Line-in.

Either way, it's best to use Manual Volume setting. With the disc in the unit, push Record and Pause (display blinks). Menu (hold it down until Edit/Display/etc. appears), click up to Rec Settings, go to Rec Volume, switch from Auto to Manual. For typical loud music, turn the wheel to the level of 20/30. Un-Pause (display stops blinking, time starts counting) to start recording.

You have to do that every time you Stop recording or insert a new disc. Unfortunately, the NH700 does not hold the Manual Volume setting from recording to recording.

You'd think you could just plug in the mic and go. But life with Sony is always a little complicated....

Thanks A440! :pleasantry:

That makes my MZ-NH700 more usable as a live recorder rather than just a mere player

I tried just one other time to record a live show using the NH700 as a live field recorder when I recorded segments of a live show here in Port Townsend and it came out over distorted and worthless, so I will indeed pick up this pre-amp, as it makes my ECM-MS907 better than ever.

Thanks goodness for the MDCF, in fact I have learned so much more about my MD/Hi-MD recording units and how to use them right rather than the old "bat out of hell" approach to recording live shows, with this I will be able to use all of my units at any time, not just the NH700

So this leaves me (at least myself) with but one question: having read horror stories from users on this forum about using the RM-MC40ELK while recording live shows ("buzzing" noise, distortion, etc.), would it be wise to just use the comtrols on my unit instead of the 40ELK, or should I carry one wth me in my recording gear in case I need it?

Thanks,

Ray Jackson

Edited by BIGHMW

The RM-MC40ELK is very useful at live shows just for stealth. You can leave the unit paused on Manual Volume in your pocket--it doesn't use up much battery life at all--and un-pause with the RM-MC40ELK and get a glimpse of the recording levels. If you're overloading, you can dial down the recording level on the remote. And you can make track marks during applause between songs. If there is noise there--maybe there is, maybe not--I don't hear it over applause.

I wouldn't use the remote control during a mic-in, quiet, classical recording. Some people who have them say they don't add noise, some do--mine (an Ebay special, apparently "fell off a truck" in Hong Kong) sometimes seems to be adding noise or a little burst of static when lit up or adjusted during a show. But it also often seems pretty quiet.

Hi thanks for the tips everyone.

I found this and a friend uses it and doesnt get distortion, mine was a £9 cheapy from ebay..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-ECM-719-Multi...e/dp/B00009OTF6

would it stop my problems?

I use this mic too and havent had any problems at all.It takes a small battery like a watch battery,and it goes in the back of the mic.I always go line in,and set my record level using manual set, i usually set it at about 15-20 out of 30 and get listenable results.You got a real bargain for £9,as i paid around £ 50 for mine when i bought it new.Im no expert( far from it) but i think as long as you put a battery in the mic,and go line in,and set you levels at a reasonble level you should see quite an improment.

I'm glad the battery gives that mic enough power for line-in. That's good to know.

The ECM-719 only picks up 100-15,000 Hz, not the 20-20,000 Hz that your ears can hear and your unit can record. What that means is that it doesn't pick up a lot of bass, and bass is what drives the mic jack into distortion. Sony probably made that mic to work with minidisc (among other things), helping to get around the problem with distortion from bass.

So it might also give you little or not distortion going into mic-in--you'd have to try it and see. BUT you're going to get a recording with hardly any bass. It's missing most of the bottom two octaves of a piano. The bottom note of a piano (low A) is 27.5 Hz, the next A is 55 Hz, the next is 110 Hz (then 220 and then...A 440).

Whether you'd like that mic depends on what you're recording. Human voice (speech), violin, flute, etc., will be just fine. However, if you want to record a rock band or a jazz trio, it's going to sound tinny.

But for what that mic is good for, you got a real bargain at £9.

EDIT: Oh, wait a minute--you're not saying you got the ECM-719 for £9, but that you used a cheaper mic you got from Ebay. If you're going to be paying £43 for a mic, I think you can do better for a music mic. Get Greenmachine's binaural mics and battery box.

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=14388

Edited by A440

It doesnt pick up a lot of the bass,but maybe messing with the recording afterwards you might add a bit of bass.Im going to be recording a stand up comedian on thursday so il be using the ecm 719 for that,and hoping itll come out pretty well.Ive used the ecm 719 to record a beatles tribute act,i was on the stage with the band when i was recording.Although due to where i was stood you can hear some instruments better than others there is no real distortion.It might not be the best mic,but its always done well for recording concerts.

That mic should be ideal for standup.

You can't really add bass if it hasn't been recorded in the first place. But if you like the way it sounds, that's the important thing.

I meant you could try and mess around with it to make it sound a bit chunkier.Going to see alan carr on thursday so il see how the ecm 719 works with his stand up show.