RH1 Troubles

Rate this topic

Sparda

Arghh this is pissing me off so bad. At first I knew the RH1 was a bit twitchy when I got it. Now it is just getting ridiculous, how can it get worse its not like it is human, its like it is developing a problem and it only gets worse. When ever I try to select a new song or new group it suddenly skips like 5 songs and switches my EQ settings to Dynamic Normalizer. It does it for no apparent reason and doesn't look like there is a pattern. I only know it happens when I try to change songs/groups. And sometimes the backlight does not kick in or the counter does not refresh after a new song. I mean I paid quite a bit for it and would expect some more quality. Anybody else experiencing the same thing? It's just really annoying when it happens, and it happens quite often.

Sorry to hear of your problem. But the only reason I would now get the RH1 would be for the purpose of uploading legacy recordings made in SP. I have lately heard of more and more problems developing in these units. This reminds me of the thread comparing the RH1 and the much older R50 for the title of best MD unit ever made. Newer is not always necessarily better.

Edited by kino170878

I have two issues with mine (which is just over a year old):

1) (I think there may be thread on this already). For no apparent reason it occasionally refuses to switch on. The remedy is to remove the battery, wait a few seconds and re-insert it. I have cleaned the contacts on the battery to no effect, but if anyone has other suggestions, I'd like to hear them.

2) When I'm using the unit itself, occasionally if I press and hold FF, instead of fast-forwarding through the track it moves to the next track (and the next ones if I continue to hold). Same thing happens occasionally with "Rewind".

Luckily I bought a back-up RH1 a couple of months ago as an insurance policy, but it's a bit worrying that it should start misbehaving so soon.

Yeah, sadly the warranty is out, its been over a year. And I fear that they would only open it up mess around and make it worse. It's a bit disheartening that things like this are happening. Considering it is most likely the last portable MD unit ever made, they should have put some more effort into making it more reliable. Also like I said before, at this price tag this really should not happen. I expected too much from Sony, typical yeah?

I am actually contemplating selling my RH1 to save up and get the PCM-D50

anyone interested?

Now this I find interesting. You have been a strong advocate for MD and though I now you are geeked about the PCM-D50, you're willing to let go a RH1 for it. How are you gonna transfer on Mac without it? Is this a sign your preparing to bail on the format?

Now this I find interesting. You have been a strong advocate for MD and though I now you are geeked about the PCM-D50, you're willing to let go a RH1 for it. How are you gonna transfer on Mac without it? Is this a sign your preparing to bail on the format?

Nope never Bail on MD , Just the RH1 , I have several hundred MD's I will continue with MD's as long as Hardoff's doors remain open .

Second , the PCM-D50 ...... Is Mac compatable . and has the same Mic pre as the RH1 , so My AT-822 should be happy with it , and the buttons on the PCM D50 , remind me of the R50 with the addition of Rec level on the fly , which the R50 did not have .

I will post todays vist to hardoff in a different post with pics , some people here are looking for specific models . I found them .

Haha, I can't help but feel like I am about to abandon MD. Isn't it sad? I mean I just love everything about MD but I am actually currently in the process of hunting for a new DAP. It's a waste that I don't record much with my MD. I'm considering the Samsung YP-P2 anyone know anything about the SQ? Or what it sounds like?

Oh I should note one thing. I always use my remote to control the RH1 I pretty never used the buttons on the unit it self. Why you ask? To save wear and tear so when it does come around I can just replace the relatively inexpensive remote. This however got me thinking, are these problems I'm having be from the remote getting worn out? I don't think it is, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Same here. I only use the RH1 for transfers and recording also, as far as my players are concerned, on top of the rest I own, you can now add an NH600D on to that list.

The more units, the more ways and the longer I can enjoy MiniDisc and Hi-MD before they all go out on me, and I have tons of both legacy and Hi-MD units, believe me

Just chillin' and listening to some tunes on my trusty NH700 with my newly-acquired MDR-NC60 (JE Version, see my upcoming review later on it and the D777SL this week!) NC headphones :beach:

Yeah, I was actually going to get the EH70 in black or blue awhile ago. Instead I decided to save the money and buy a few more blanks. Some of that money is now going towards the new DAP, I might still consider the EH70, but the YP-P2 is real good eye candy. I don't think the recording head is going to crap out anytime soon so hopefully I don't need a backup recorder.

So with all this talk of the RH1 having problems, I have a question:

I'm a musician that plays 2-3 concerts a month that I like to record with a simple condenser microphone. I'm not interested in having to sit and wait for the entire recording to play into a computer, only to edit the recordings before posting them onto archive.org. So, would this be a decent purchase for a recorder/uploader only? Is the device recognizable as a FAT32-type file system with drag-and-drop capability, or is the SonicStage required?

Mostly I just need something small, reliable, and easy to deal with. Are any of the other "H" series devices comparable?

Is the device recognizable as a FAT32-type file system with drag-and-drop capability, or is the SonicStage required?

No MD recorder has drag-and-drop transfer--SonicStage is always required. If ease of transfer without extra softwareis really important to you, you're better off with something like the Zoom H2 or the new Sony PCM-D50. But if you can put up with SonicStage (which has gotten much less cranky and intrusive), the RH1 does a terrific job. Feature/function comparisons are all over this forum, and there are solid evaluations of the Zoom models here:

http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2007/02/01...y-recorder.html

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/di...d-recorder.html

No MD recorder has drag-and-drop transfer--SonicStage is always required. If ease of transfer without extra softwareis really important to you, you're better off with something like the Zoom H2 or the new Sony PCM-D50. But if you can put up with SonicStage (which has gotten much less cranky and intrusive), the RH1 does a terrific job. Feature/function comparisons are all over this forum, and there are solid evaluations of the Zoom models here:

http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2007/02/01...y-recorder.html

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/di...d-recorder.html

Actually , on a Mac , it doesnt use Sonic , It uses a MUCH simpler program , that gets pretty close to drag and drop.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done it, I have gone to the dark side. Today or actually yesterday I went and got the Samsung YP-P2. It's a great DAP, but MD beats it SQ wise hands down. Although with all those sound tweaks and adjustments Samsung offers you can get a very unique sound, or in my case close to the sound signature of my RH1. I got it for convenience, 8GB of music/videos without having to carry 7 extra discs is very handy. Anyways going a bit off topic.

After much ado and some research, I bought a A818 awhile back. It has gret sound for a DAP but still no match for MD or HiMD

Yeah I considered buying that one when it first came out a looong time ago. I'm glad I didn't though or else I would have regretted it. The looks and features of it doesn't appeal to me anymore. And yes portables wise I have not found anything that comes even close to MD in SQ.

I'm assuming you're using a remote to scroll through your songs? If so I had the same problem with my remote, where everytime I would change songs, it would either:

• Do what I tell it to do

or do one or more of the following

• Go to previous track instead of next
  • Turn up the volume
  • Go to next SOUND setting (eg. from EQ to DN)
  • Skip a whole group
  • Stop or pause play
It turned out to be a faulty remote that just kept getting worse and worse (it was an MC33EL). I had 2 of them and both developed the same problem.

If you weren't using the remote to scroll songs and you are talking about the backlight of the RH1 itself... then sorry I can't help you :(

If it is the remote, I'd consider using another remote for now, or at least check the contacts are clean and proper. It's cheaper to replace the remote than the whole unit itself.

Side note: I'm using the MC40ELK, and it's the best remote I've ever had in terms of utility!

Edited by syko

I'm assuming you're using a remote to scroll through your songs? If so I had the same problem with my remote, where everytime I would change songs, it would either:
  • Do what I tell it to do

or do one or more of the following

• Go to previous track instead of next
  • Turn up the volume
  • Go to next SOUND setting (eg. from EQ to DN)
  • Skip a whole group
  • Stop or pause play
It turned out to be a faulty remote that just kept getting worse and worse (it was an MC33EL). I had 2 of them and both developed the same problem.

If you weren't using the remote to scroll songs and you are talking about the backlight of the RH1 itself... then sorry I can't help you :(

If it is the remote, I'd consider using another remote for now, or at least check the contacts are clean and proper. It's cheaper to replace the remote than the whole unit itself.

Side note: I'm using the MC40ELK, and it's the best remote I've ever had in terms of utility!

Yeah! I was using the remote 24/7. The number of times the buttons on the unit itself used can be counted with just two hands. What you described is pretty much exactly the problem I was having. Too bad I already retired it as my DAP. It's now sitting in my drawer along with my blanks. R.I.P.

Good news! I have crawled back to MD on my hands and knees. The P2's screen crapped out on me. It started to glitch and shift/distort around. So I will most likely not be buying another mp3 for awhile. I will just get another remote (haha the exact reason why I only use the remote, I knew one day it would wear out so I wouldn't have to replace the unit itself). I missed the detail and clarity I would get from MD, I guess I will just suck it up and live with 1GB per disc. If only they had higher capacity discs...

Good news! I have crawled back to MD on my hands and knees. The P2's screen crapped out on me. It started to glitch and shift/distort around. So I will most likely not be buying another mp3 for awhile. I will just get another remote (haha the exact reason why I only use the remote, I knew one day it would wear out so I wouldn't have to replace the unit itself). I missed the detail and clarity I would get from MD, I guess I will just suck it up and live with 1GB per disc. If only they had higher capacity discs...

don't have a puter with 3.5 so I can't try it. but has anyone tried stacker or some similar disc doubling software on an MD disc, who knows !!!???

Bob