A view From Japan

Rate this topic

Strungup

can u really take a picture of the orion nebula with that telescope?

yes , but I would need a Film camera with Manual Shutter , or a much longer exposure time on the Nikon . A motorized Equatorial head , to track correctly while the camera absorbs the light , I looked at Orion thru a 40 mm eyepiece , and I am in the city sortof , so its kind of bright here , but if I get out a little (there is a Mountain range nearby) .

Judging what I saw visually , ......thru both the 40 , and the 25mm eyepeices , ... if I did Eyepeice projection , to film , using 50 or 100 speed, chrome quality for slides , a 1hour exposure and a soft blue filter , then a 30 minute with a red , would produce some pretty nice results .

I am working on a new stand for the scope , I bought it , in bad shape 1 year ago , and have been rebuilding the gears , and everything when I have time , it is almost done . we will see what happens.

Edited by Guitarfxr

do post the pics of any nebula when u get the chance.

that will be a little while but not too long I hope , I am almost done with the bottom part of my house , then MAYBE my wife will let me have a break ................ ?

I am putting wall panels up today in one room , the frame and insulation are done for half of it , so I will panel that , and ........well you would have to see this place , I will just say that , and that we are Camping indoors.

Hehe, through the eyepiece shots are what I used to do until I got this:

000_0341.jpg

It's is still not a good enough rig for fainter objects since I don't have a motorized mount. The moon and sun (with a mylar filter) are totally doable though. I still tend to over expose my moon shots. :(

moon5_10_2006.jpg

Edited by KrazyIvan

Hehe, through the eyepiece shots are what I used to do until I got this:

000_0341.jpg

It's is still not a good enough rig for fainter objects since I don't have a motorized mount. The moon and sun (with a mylar filter) are totally doable though. I still tend to over expose my moon shots. :(

moon5_10_2006.jpg

are you mooning us!!??

Bob

Hey Ivan , I noticed the blur , on the moon shot , is probably due to Jitter , use the Timer function on the Camera ( so you can push the button , and then let go of it so it will shoot without Jitter ) I think you will get a much better result .Also dont use a Moon filter ....... Use a Cap on the scope .

The dust cap that covers the end of the scope , Does it have a smaller hole with another Cap on it , or is it one solid cap.

if you can set the shutter speed on your camera , to 1/500 , or 1/1000 on a full moon you will get much nicer results.

I used to have one of those little scopes , fun to carry out . Throw in in the trunk and go . motors are cheap , from Orion telescopes . elswhere like Astromart , online a lot of used gear real cheap

The key word is cheap. The scope is cheap but it does have the smaller cap on the main dust cap. The blur is there because I have not been able to colminate the scope properly. My primary mirror is off just a bit. :( I need to get it out of the shed since the cooler nights are upon us. For the sake of a speady setup, I have been thinking of making a concrete pier mount in the back yard so I don't have to align the scope every time I want to use it. Just mount it to the pier and go. :D

@ Bobt: LOL :P

Edited by KrazyIvan