The Best? Which One?

Rate this topic

EFN

I am very impressed with my N710 (SP Mode). But my main gripe is the space limitation on normal MD Blanks. Barely 2 CDs can fit in. Coming from HDD based DAP, I find this to be a bit annoying but the SQ alone is worth it.

So I have decided to migrate to Hi-MD and basically RH-1 comes first on the list. Is it worth it? SQ wise will Hi-SP on RH-1 will be superior than N710?

And how many CDs can I fit in to a Hi-MD blank? Hi-SP mode.

My Background:

I am a regular at Head-Fi.org and my recent DAP rig was the venerable Red Wine Audio iMod 80GB + XIN SuperMicro-IV + Etymotic ER-4S. I sold that rig to finance my photography hobby. IMO, RWA iMod + Good External amp + Lossless is about the very best one can get from a battery operated portable rig. I could not bear to listen to most DAPs because SQ is medicore at best. RWA iMod is an exception.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Both SP and HiSP sound very good to me. In HiSP you can fit 2h20m on a HiMD formatted 80min (305MB) MD or 7h55m on a 1GB HiMD (see here). The RH1 has a digital amp, which sounds very good to most users (haven't had the pleasure of listening to one myself yet). You have to use SonicStage for transfer.

I would do some research into the threads regarding Hi-SP vs 352kbps vs SP (292kbps). The consensus seems to be that Hi-SP is a great balance between sound quality and convenient use. But if you care very much for sound quality I would go for the higher 352 bit rate which many find equivalent to SP quality.

Edited by kino170878