LF: NH1 charger (found the docking station!)

Rate this topic

Sammyboy

Just bought an NH1 off Ebay which comes without the dock, and as I understand it has a proprietary USB connector so am looking for the docking station or at least a USB cable that will work with the unit.

I'm hoping it works though, as the seller was selling is as 'spares or repairs' due to the lack of the dock, hopefully it just needs a charge! If it works I'll have a bargain as it only cost me a few pennies over £20 including delivery! :D

Found the dock and a USB lead, but now need a charger! If anyone has any spare, or could tell me at least the part number of it so I can search for one I'd be most grateful! I would of course be willing to pay for the charger.

Edited by Sammyboy

Just bought an NH1 off Ebay which comes without the dock, and as I understand it has a proprietary USB connector so am looking for the docking station or at least a USB cable that will work with the unit.

I'm hoping it works though, as the seller was selling is as 'spares or repairs' due to the lack of the dock, hopefully it just needs a charge! If it works I'll have a bargain as it only cost me a few pennies over £20 including delivery! :D

You got a deal, I think you can get the cable from Sony, maybe a service centre near you may have one hidden away. You could try rigging up a simple battery charger with wires and an adapter to see if the battery will take a charge, just remove the battery and tape the wires on.

Good luck,

Bob

Cheers for the reply Bobt, found a cable on Ebay for just under £10 which I might go for. I've got a thread on this already but I'll just ask quickly here - would that USB cable also charge the unit, and could I use one of my exsisting 'gumstick' batteries (as used in my E-909 and N-710) in the NH1?

Cheers for the reply Bobt, found a cable on Ebay for just under £10 which I might go for. I've got a thread on this already but I'll just ask quickly here - would that USB cable also charge the unit, and could I use one of my exsisting 'gumstick' batteries (as used in my E-909 and N-710) in the NH1?

Be careful before you rush out to get that cable - are you sure it's the correct one for the NH1? I've just done a quick search on Ebay (UK) and can't see one there; can you point me to it? Also, even if it is the correct cable I'm 99% sure it won't charge the unit; this has to be done from the docking bay. And finally, your gumsticks won't work in the NH1.

You could try rigging up a simple battery charger with wires and an adapter to see if the battery will take a charge, just remove the battery and tape the wires on.

I would strongly advice against trying that, the battery may explode or something, lithium batteries are quite fragile.

This is the one I got, which I hope is the right one!

Yes, that looks like the right one.

With regard to the docking station, have you tried your local Sony Centre? They'll charge a lot more for it than they should, but you could still end up overall with a cheap machine. Also you could keep looking on Ebay - there's a broken NH1 for auction at the moment, but someone has already bid 30 UKP for it with 3 days to go.

Just a thought - if your NH1 appears to work when you attach it to your PC, and if you still haven't found a docking station, I could lend you my spare docking station for a few weeks until you track one down, but I really don't want to part with it permanently.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the NH1 now, just waiting for the USB cable to arrive (It's coming from Hong Kong!), a few scratches but it looks nice, even came with 10 MDs including a Hi-MD one!

@HD, I might well be taking you up on that offer if it still stands, still haven't sourced a docking station, even put a 'want it now' on Ebay for one with no joy so far!

Finally, the USB has arrived from China! Plugged it into my NH1, and hey presto, it seems to be fully working! :D Successfully played all the tracks off a Minidisc over the headphones via SonicStage with no problems, PC recognised it straightaway. Not tried writing anything to it yet, that'll be next, but of course it won't charge the NH1.

So still looking for the docking cradle, and I guess a compatible charger, as the chargers for existing MD players I have are all too low a voltage.

Btw, what's the part number of the charger that I need?

Just ordered one of the above docking stations!

Just a quick question, it doesn't look as if it comes with any cables - I presume it'll work with my standard USB lead or my existing NH1 lead?

Damn, I still need a charger though....

Looks like your NH1 kit is almost complete. AC Adaptor + Cradle + Unit + Battery + USB Cable + Furry Pouch + Battery Case = Full Kit. ;)

(Optional extra: short usb cable)

Yep, I'm nearly there! :P

I have found an RH1 charger on Ebay, will that work with my NH1? I hope so as it's quite cheap!

I've so far got an NH1 for £35.82 (£20.77 for the unit/headphones and 10MDs including 1 Hi-Md, £15.05 for the cradle), just need that charger to complete the kit but they seem very hard to find! :(

I have the fluffy case I could use from my NH700, though prefer the black 'leatherette' type cases that come with the Net-Mds (using one for my Sony pocket DAB!), could use that also.

Yep, I'm nearly there! :P

I have found an RH1 charger on Ebay, will that work with my NH1? I hope so as it's quite cheap!

I've so far got an NH1 for £35.82 (£20.77 for the unit/headphones and 10MDs including 1 Hi-Md, £15.05 for the cradle), just need that charger to complete the kit but they seem very hard to find! :(

I have the fluffy case I could use from my NH700, though prefer the black 'leatherette' type cases that come with the Net-Mds (using one for my Sony pocket DAB!), could use that also.

Unfortunately the RH1 charger won't work for the NH1 as it is 5V and the NH1 is 6V. If you can't find the native NH1 charger you can also use the Sony 6V universal adaptor AC-E60A.

AC-E60A.jpg

Just ordered one of the above docking stations!

Just a quick question, it doesn't look as if it comes with any cables - I presume it'll work with my standard USB lead or my existing NH1 lead?

Damn, I still need a charger though....

It doesn't come with leads, any 6 volt a/c adapter will work with the right sized connector.

Glad you got your stuff, have fun

Bob

I've actually got a multi-voltage adaptor now, which goes from 3v to 12v. The stated ampage at 6 volts is 1A, would that work OK with the NH1/dock?

What the charger says exactly is:

Input: 230v AC ~ 50Hz, 0.28a max

Output:- 3/4.5/5v - 1.2A; 6/9V - 1A; 12v - 0.9A

• 2 weeks later...

Hooray! The cradle finally arrived today! :D

My multi-adapter seems to be working fine with the NH1/charging cradle, I'm listening to it as we speak whilst it charges having just used it to transfer a load of music to a Hi-MD!

Bargain NH1 then! :D :D

Edit: The only slight bugbear is that I have to charge the NH1 in the cradle, and transfer files using the data cable, I can't seem to do both as there doesn't seem to be a way to plug the USB cable into the dock! I do wonder though if it's a genuine item, though if it charges the thing I'm not too fussed :P

Edited by Sammyboy