Making Hi-MD Music Transfer v2 to work for Mac OS X Leopard [read post#22]

Rate this topic

marc-hd

I'll be able to tell you soon. I have my new refurbished 15" 2.2ghz MacBook Pro w/ a Leopard drop in disc on the way and it should be arriving tomorrow. Once I get it, I'll be pulling some stuff off of my minidiscs onto it.

I'll post my updates to this thread in case you want to subscribe to it or anything.

Where's the best place to download the software? I got my Mac up and running. I have done some recordings with my Minidisc that I want to import too. I don't feel like going downstairs and finding my RH1 box though with all the software

Edited by srizvi1

• 1 month later...

Hi, any mac users with leopard have tested the Hi-Md transfer for mac?? Does it work with the new OS X Leopard??

Marc

my experience so far is that it is not compatible - I have upgraded my G5 to Leopard and tried to use MD-Transfer and no files showing. The disk will mount on leopard but seems that Leopard does not gel so far with MD-Transfer. Hopefully there will be a fix for this soon. I wont put Leopard on my g4 laptop until this is ironed out, a shame as leopard is great (although a few people have had a few probs I know looking a the Apple forum)

Leopard , isnt going to run MD Transfer 2.0 , Sony stopped developement on it because they stopped the Portable MD line , their recording is going Flash based .

I am also on Mac , and will not upgrade to Leopard , Tiger is fine , I dont need 3D desktop , a flash and fluff , just a machine that works .

Sorry, completely confused by this thread! I have a MZ-RH1 and am using Mac OS 10.4.11; I downloaded Hi-MD Music Transfer Version 2.0.00.06273 from the Sony website and...nothing. Downloading is not a problem on my PC running Sonic Stage, so I know its not the hardware. I can't find the 'software downloads' section of this forum (no links here)...any help???

Sorry, completely confused by this thread! I have a MZ-RH1 and am using Mac OS 10.4.11; I downloaded Hi-MD Music Transfer Version 2.0.00.06273 from the Sony website and...nothing. Downloading is not a problem on my PC running Sonic Stage, so I know its not the hardware. I can't find the 'software downloads' section of this forum (no links here)...any help???

What exactly is your problem

??

Here klik this , make SURE that you READ the directions , and learn how to use the software , I will help if I can ,

http://support.sony-europe.com/DNA/Softwar...fer/MT.asp?l=en

When you connect the RH1 look on your desktop for an Icon that is Blue , and says HiMd Monitor or transfer one of the two , double klik IT , and not the drive icon when MD Transfer window opens , it might take a sec , but then your files will show up .

The ONLY files that you can see will be in HiMD mode , you CANNOT transfer Regular MD SP or anything not HiMD , it just wont show up .

Edited by Guitarfxr

What exactly is your problem

??

Here klik this , make SURE that you READ the directions , and learn how to use the software , I will help if I can ,

http://support.sony-europe.com/DNA/Softwar...fer/MT.asp?l=en

When you connect the RH1 look on your desktop for an Icon that is Blue , and says HiMd Monitor or transfer one of the two , double klik IT , and not the drive icon when MD Transfer window opens , it might take a sec , but then your files will show up .

The ONLY files that you can see will be in HiMD mode , you CANNOT transfer Regular MD SP or anything not HiMD , it just wont show up .

I've READ the directions, and I've INSTALLED the software, called 'Hi-MD Music Transfer.' The problem is that it just doesn't 'see' the Hi-MD when it is connected via a USB cable. To ensure the hardware, etc was OK, I installed 'Sonic Stage' on a Wintel laptop...no problems, saw the external drive ok, downloaded the recordings, no problem. Via Apple (Mac OS 10.4.11), using Hi-MD Music Transfer, nothing. Apple Finder doesn't report mounting any device either.

Your help appreciated.

Hi, any mac users with leopard have tested the Hi-Md transfer for mac?? Does it work with the new OS X Leopard??

Marc

I just tried to use it on a MacBook Pro with Leopard and it could not detect the MD device.

I went back to another computer with OSX 10.3 to do the job and it worked. I doubt if Sony will respond soon.

Tom Barker

I installed Hi-MD Transfer v2 on MacBook Pro (with Leopard, 10.5.1), connected mz-rh1, started the Hi-MD Transfer app and everything works.

I don't use the HI-MD monitor, because it's PPC only application and runs as daemon in background so it's better to start Hi-MD Transfer manually.

Anyway, importing/exporting work with no problems here.

I installed Hi-MD Transfer v2 on MacBook Pro (with Leopard, 10.5.1), connected mz-rh1, started the Hi-MD Transfer app and everything works.

I don't use the HI-MD monitor, because it's PPC only application and runs as daemon in background so it's better to start Hi-MD Transfer manually.

Anyway, importing/exporting work with no problems here.

wow , ok cool , so how did you seperate the MD monitor from the Transfer prog , It loads both when installing . or did you manually remove the Monitor?

I just tried to use it on a MacBook Pro with Leopard and it could not detect the MD device.

I went back to another computer with OSX 10.3 to do the job and it worked. I doubt if Sony will respond soon.

Tom Barker

I had done a "previous computer transfer" to my new Intel powerbook. Later I reinstalled the latest 2.0 version and I'll bet the drivers were installed.

NOW IT WORKS!

Marc

I need to revise my first reply. When I went to my new MacBook Pro, I simply transfered all my programs via the Macintosh system using a firewire cable. This did not install the driver for the MD device I suppose, and the MD device was not detected when I launched the Hi-MD music transfer program.

I reinstalled the Hi-MD Music Transfer program and it works.

Bottom line there is no need for any upgrades to use the latest version of the Hi-MD music transfer program to operate on Leopard.

wow , ok cool , so how did you seperate the MD monitor from the Transfer prog , It loads both when installing . or did you manually remove the Monitor?

You don't need to separate or remove anything. Leave it in you Applications folder, just foloow these steps:

1. Run the installer and install both: Monitor and Transfer apps.

2. Then go to System Preferences/Accounts/Login Items and delete Hi-MDmonitor from the list.

3. Open Activity monitor, find and quit the process, or restart computer

That's it...

Next time you connect your Hi-MD unit to your computer you have to start Hi-MD Transfer manually, everything else works great.

You don't need to separate or remove anything. Leave it in you Applications folder, just foloow these steps:

2. Then go to System Preferences/Accounts/Login Items and delete Hi-MDmonitor from the list.

That's it...

Next time you connect your Hi-MD unit to your computer you have to start Hi-MD Transfer manually, everything else works great.

AHHHHH thanks for the info , this is probably the main thing that was keeping me from upgrading to Leopard , I still think I want to wait for a few more updates on Leopard before I jump on board , Tiger has been running fine .

AHHHHH thanks for the info , this is probably the main thing that was keeping me from upgrading to Leopard , I still think I want to wait for a few more updates on Leopard before I jump on board , Tiger has been running fine .

No problem... Leopard runs fine. 10.5.1 is pretty stable and Hi-MD software works on it as well...

I doubt there will be an update for Hi-MD Transfer app, because I have heard Sony abandoned its development. We'll see...

• 3 months later...

Running a Powerbook G4 with Leopard, and it works, albeit strangely.

When I downloaded a fresh 2.0 version of the app and installed on my system, what I got was a folder, instead of an app.

I opened the folder, opened "Contents", opened "Mac OS", then launched "Hi-MD Music Transfer", which in turned launched the Terminal as well as the app itself. The Terminal sat there and logged everything the app was doing.

For some reason, Leopard isn't seeing it as an application package but as a folder.

It works, though! Whew!

• 3 weeks later...

That's it...

Admin:

This is extremely useful information. There is a lot of misinformation out there on this important topic. Can you make it more visible, please?

Even minidisco has it wrong on their M200 page. It states that it is not compatible with leopard. Thanks a ton, Sixx, for this post...

• 3 weeks later...

Running a Powerbook G4 with Leopard, and it works, albeit strangely.

hi, everyone. I have a problem with the program v.2.0 running on the C2D 2.4Ghz Macbook with OSX10.5.2

before viewing this thread, my macbook can detect my RH1, but i can do nothing with it except using it as

an external device. And with the Hi-MD transfer program installed, the program can show the recording data

in the program window, but still I can do nothing with it.

after viewing the thread, and tried the way mentioned, I cannot do anything except viewing the titles of the

recording data only with the program on my Macbook.

I have read the notes of the program

97715450fc5.png

And I wonder if there is a solution to the program running in the OSX10.5.2.

please tell me and thanks a lot !!!

Edited by Mitmensch

I keep delaying installing the mac software for the MZ-RH1 on Leopard so I can pull my recordings off. I just downloaded the:

HiMDMusicTransfer20.dmg

Version : 2.0

Last Modified :07/15/2006

Size : 1.22 MB

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-downl...36&os_id=24

I'm going to follow sixx's advice and get rid of the Monitor program since it can't be used by Intel machines.

I'm going to follow sixx's advice and get rid of the Monitor program since it can't be used by Intel machines.

thx dude, i think why it didn't work out after following sixx's advice was all because my previous program downloading source

http://www.sony-asia.com/support/download/...site=hp_en_AP_i

and after trying the program downloading link you provide and following the Sixx's advice...

the Program function bloody well without any problem on My OSX10.5.2 intel-based 2.4Ghz MacBook

thx Sixx and srizvi1 for the help~

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I've recently upgraded to Leopard.

As I write, it's version is 10.5.4 When I ran Hi-MD Transfer for my MZ-RH1, which I still had in my Applications folder from Tiger, it didn't work. So I followed the advice here and went to http://support.sony-europe.com/dna/downloa...x?l=en&f=MT and followed the installation instructions there and restarted my MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB).

Hi-MD Transfer now works perfectly well with Leopard 10.5.4 and I am SO pleased!

:victory:

I keep delaying installing the mac software for the MZ-RH1 on Leopard so I can pull my recordings off. I just downloaded the:

HiMDMusicTransfer20.dmg

Version : 2.0

Last Modified :07/15/2006

Size : 1.22 MB

I'm able to use Hi-MD Music Transfer just fine on my 15" MacBook Pro running Leopard. I also believe I got rid fo the Monitor program ok as I Don't see it in my activity monitor. However, I do see mdworker which is 6.29 MB real memory / 608.92 MB Virtual memory. Is this a minidisc related program?

I'm pretty sure "mdworker" is related to spotlight and not anything MiniDisc related.

It's footprint should decrease, and/or it should disappear from the activity monitor after it's done it's indexing stuff I'd guess.

right, it has nothing to do with MD...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

No luck here. I've got a G5 power PC at home and a G4 power PC at work. No luck with either of them.

And yes, I followed sixx's directions diligently.

Tried both ver. 1 and 2 of the software.

thoughts?

I don't recall every trying it on a PowerPC. That may be the issue. Anyone else using it on a PowerPC?

Both of my PPC's are running Leopard 10.5.3

Anyone have success with Music Transfer v.1 or 2 on a PPC running 10.5?

...cause I got nuthin. :angry:

Tiger on PPC I can see , but running Leopard on a PPC is pushing it to far , like Overclocking A Dell Laptop made for WIN98 and putting XP SP3 on it with only 128 MB memory ,and a P2 processor .......... It will run , but there are a lot of things it just wont do . The Hardware and the Software have to agree . Secondly Sony hasn't updated MD Transfer to work with Leopard , it was made for OSX in it's earlier forms .

Leopard is a whole new rewrite of OSX , Completely new architecture , and the programming language has changed a bit . So I cant really see MD Transfer running freely on Leopard , that is why I am still on Tiger . Leopard is pretty , .......... BUT .........

Tiger on PPC I can see , but running Leopard on a PPC is pushing it to far , like Overclocking A Dell Laptop made for WIN98 and putting XP SP3 on it with only 128 MB memory ,and a P2 processor .......... It will run , but there are a lot of things it just wont do . The Hardware and the Software have to agree . Secondly Sony hasn't updated MD Transfer to work with Leopard , it was made for OSX in it's earlier forms .

Leopard is a whole new rewrite of OSX , Completely new architecture , and the programming language has changed a bit . So I cant really see MD Transfer running freely on Leopard , that is why I am still on Tiger . Leopard is pretty , .......... BUT .........

Not quite right. I think Leopard incorporates more native code than Tiger does so it's actually LESS processor intensive than earlier versions.

The OS is larger, but takes less to run it which is pretty cool. On my duel G5, I see no speed diff. between 10.5 and the earlier versions.

...except that I've got no music transfer.