Interview with grandfather 'stranded' on Minidisc - how can I free it?

Rate this topic

MiniDiscNewbie2007

Hello there,

Hope I have the right forum. I know I am among true experts here whereas I have very limited technical knowledge, but I really, really would appreciate help.

I own a MZ R-700 without the PC link. I bought it as it was what colleagues in BBC radio used and so I thought it would enable me to make recordings that would be future proof. The most important of these is an interview with my grandfather, who died last year. I would like to give my mum and aunt copies on CD but as it is, I have no idea how to get the recording from my MD to my PC, or whether this is even feasible. I have searched lots of sites for hours but the technical speak confuses me. I can't find USB cables for sale but even if I did I don't know whether technicallly one would work with this machine.

I have a Sony Vaio with Windows Vista. I also own an old Sony handycam video camera and wondered if I could use that somehow? I also have a Creative Nano and wondered if that might link up somehow? Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know where to begin. I know I will also need some software so perhaps if I manage to in get the hardware together I will be able to move to the software forum...

Thank you in advance.

The PC Link is just a USB to optical converter and works only in one direction - from PC to MD - in real time. You would need the latest model, the RH1 to digitally upload legacy recordings - or record from the headphone output of your current MD into the line-in of your sound card.

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=7070

Dear greenmachine,

Thank you for this, and for the link. It makes it much clearer! Just one query - which makes it clear how untechnical I am - when you refer to the line-in of a sound card, is that usually the same jack as the headpone jack? I only have two on the front of my laptop and having checked my boyfriend's, it's the same on his, even though it's a different manufacturer.

Right, off to find a M/M cable.

The two jacks on the laptop are headphone--sound going out--and probably microphone--sound going in. (Desktop computers, with bigger soundcards, sometimes have a third jack, line-in.) You want to send the sound OUT of the MD's headphone jack and IN to the microphone jack, not the headphone jack.

Look at Start/Settings/Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices/Volume/Advanced. That will show you all the inputs of your sound card. Make sure Line In or Mic In, whatever is there, isn't muted.