BIGHMW's Sony MZ-NH700 pictorial

Rate this topic

BIGHMW

What are those earphones like?

After burn-in (through constant use), they really sound great, in fact the bass is actually pretty good, and rivals some of the better under-$100.00 USD cans, and it certainly has more bass than the NC22s I also own, as well as a powerful 106 dB of sensitivity. I highly recommend them (the EX90's) as they seem to have both a very well-balanced and well-rounded sound altogether.

Do you ever notice that cans (in the same EQ setting) seem to have a lot more bass but virtually no highs? Well, the NC60's I own have pretty good bass and great, but overdone (shrilling, YIKES!) highs, but, they also (along with the NC22s) seem to lack the midrange needed to give it a good overall feel.

On the other hand the D777SL's I own seem to have real good range overall (at the same 106 dB) but require the midrange frequencies to be slightly cut in order to get the highs, as the midrange seems to be real fat on them.

But then, it seems like every set of IEM's or cans need a little tweeking of the onboard EQ/MegaBass setting to get the sound that you want.

• 3 weeks later...

Neat setup. The NH700/F800 has a comfortable chunky feel in the hand.

...and that same radio remote also works with the 700 as well, too.

Interesting, I didn't realise that they had the same remote socket.

The NHF800 has a VPF accoustic engine. Don't know if this makes any difference to the sound ?

I have an 800 that I am selling (see http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=20349 for listing of the unit) has a pretty good VPF Acoustic Engine, it is actually a 4-selection surround sound that actually sounds pretty good, not enough to overwhelm me, but real good. The only drawback to using it is that you can only use it or the EQ one at a time, and they cannot interact (in other words you can't use both the EQ and the VPF together).

Other than the 800-exclusive VPF circuitry, it and the 700 are exactly the same, they also share the same remote port which the RM-MC39LT tuner remote can be used.