Switched from portable to deck for work

Rate this topic

For a couple of years, I used my Sony MZ-R500 portable to listen to music at work (desk job) via the unit's headphone out. These MZ-R500s, while not exactly delicate, also don't seem to like heavy use, as I have had problems with a couple of them. The MZ-R500 is great for travel and general portability, but no more will be made. So I thought about an LP-capable deck for work, one with a headphone jack. This would free the R500 from daily use and perhaps lengthen its useful life.

That didn't leave many possibilities, and those that did exist were generally somewhat pricy. I had an MDS-JE480 deck in my basement, sitting around doing nothing, but that unit has no headphone jack. A little poking around on Ebay turned up an Optimus (Radio Shack) SA-155 integrated amp, a very small box that works fine hooked up to the now-on-my-desk JE480. My 'phones are Sennheiser HD-202.

The upgrade in sound from using the same phones connected to the jack of the MZ-R500 is not trivial. Just wish I'd thought of the JE480/amp/phones combination sooner. Don't know what I'd do without Ebay!

Here's an SA-155:

post-1326-1196871494_thumb.jpg

It's not much bigger than the photo! ;-)

Gotta have tunes at work, I'm not quite as subtle, although I'm the only one, got a pair of fisher powered speakers, an older top of the line Sony CD player, and whatever MD I plug in at the time, great sounds abound from the garage, get weird looks, who cares, got my tunes,

BTW nice set up you have,

Bob

Gotta have tunes at work, I'm not quite as subtle, although I'm the only one, got a pair of fisher powered speakers, an older top of the line Sony CD player, and whatever MD I plug in at the time, great sounds abound from the garage, get weird looks, who cares, got my tunes,

BTW nice set up you have,

Bob

Thanks. I am still in the initial throes of infatuation with it. What my colleagues think of all this, I can pretty much guess.

What have you compared them with. Even my PMX100's and CX300's sound better.

Well, let me see...I tried these:

http://www.sweetwater.com/c412--Samson--Headphones

Hated 'em. They didn't match up well with the MZ-R500 or anything else I had, included a Marantz PM-68 Integrated Amp that makes most sources sound pretty good.

And I had been using my Koss MAC-7's for years - like those a lot and they are still in limited use.

I have tinnitus and I find that anything in-ear results in some pretty odd noises and frequencies after a workday, or partial workday of using them, once I take them off. These effects seem greatly reduced by on- or over-the-ear phones.

So the HD 202's sound all right to me, the price was certainly right, and they are comfortable enough for me to wear for hours at a time (this is crucial). Of course, if you can suggest a lightweight, closed, over-ear model that might be better, I am all ears, so to speak ;-)

I just think with the changes you made amp/MD deck you get more out it with a slightly better set of cans. I bought the HD 202's for practising guitar and am disappointed in them even compared to the PMX100 and CX300's I otherwise use. But they are comfy. You'd probably have to move up in budget a bit I'd guess. Just a thought really. I haven't decided what I'll replace mine with yet. I'll probably lurk over on http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ and see if theres any sales after christmas.