No more DRM from Sony then ?

Rate this topic

mangizmo

My local Currys electrical has one of these

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_...p;category_oid=

similar here:

http://uk.gizmodo.com/2006/03/18/sony_nasm...et_jukebox.html

The Salesman "claims"...no DRM !!!!, ATRAC and/or MP3 apparently you can upload from flashdrive, minidisc, PC....it cant be true surely ????

Anybody know anything about these devices ????

The one from Currys has been available for about 6 months now. It's a great concept, except for a few bad points:

1) No way to title tracks i.e. no keyboard input, so you have to use the remote

2) You can only backup/restore the entire HDD content to a PC 4 times in total. It also verifies the whole procedure via internet connection. So not totally DRM free in my opinion.

I believe it can play and record Linear PCM, Atrac, and MP3. Maybe if the price dropped another £100 I would get one. The one with the minidisc slot I would buy in a heartbeat if it was made available in the UK.

Edited by kino170878

The one from Currys has been available for about 6 months now. It's a great concept, except for a few bad points:

1) No way to title tracks i.e. no keyboard input, so you have to use the remote

2) You can only backup/restore the entire HDD content to a PC 4 times in total. It also verifies the whole procedure via internet connection. So not totally DRM free in my opinion.

I believe it can play and record Linear PCM, Atrac, and MP3. Maybe if the price dropped another £100 I would get one. The one with the minidisc slot I would buy in a heartbeat if it was made available in the UK.

I agree with your opinion on the price...£100 less and I would have bought one today....wow, theres one with a MD slot ???....not in the UK though I will bet...same as you, I would buy that unit without hesitation....the system looks good though...I still "may" get one