Quad Recording to Mini Discs

Rate this topic

Quad Maniac

Hello!

I'm new member and got a technical problem.

I got so many QUAD 8-track tapes, which I copied to CD (using DTS Encoder), so I can enjoy surround sound with my CD/DVD player with DTS Encoder and Digital Output.

Now, can I do same from Quad 8-track tapes to MINI DISCS??????

Are there MD DTS recorders and players?

Who can help with this one?

Thank in advance for your support.

DBSV8Vantage

Hello!

I'm new member and got a technical problem.

I got so many QUAD 8-track tapes, which I copied to CD (using DTS Encoder), so I can enjoy surround sound with my CD/DVD player with DTS Encoder and Digital Output.

Now, can I do same from Quad 8-track tapes to MINI DISCS??????

Are there MD DTS recorders and players?

Who can help with this one?

Thank in advance for your support.

DBSV8Vantage

Hi There

AFAIK the easiest way would be to record it as data on Hi-MD, would be worth a try at just do a recording and see what happens.

Good luck,

Bob

Basically MD is just stereo audio , no DTS or surround , that would all be generated from an external device . Say you recorded optically to the MD , what would come out would either be a mess , or it would pick out the Stereo portion of the signal only because as it is recording (unless your in PCM mode) it is being converted to Atrac , and I dont believe that Atrac supports anything other that Binaural audio.

Basically MD is just stereo audio , no DTS or surround , that would all be generated from an external device . Say you recorded optically to the MD , what would come out would either be a mess , or it would pick out the Stereo portion of the signal only because as it is recording (unless your in PCM mode) it is being converted to Atrac , and I dont believe that Atrac supports anything other that Binaural audio.

My sony SE-9 net md unit plays back Rick Wakeman's return to the centre of the earth in DTS dolby surround. This is the only pre-recorded MD I have managed to find so far. Whether doing your own recording will copy the any encoded surround sound information I dont now, but if you did you would need an amplifier that can decode it.

Allan

My sony SE-9 net md unit plays back Rick Wakeman's return to the centre of the earth in DTS dolby surround. This is the only pre-recorded MD I have managed to find so far. Whether doing your own recording will copy the any encoded surround sound information I dont now, but if you did you would need an amplifier that can decode it.

Allan

The SE-9 isnt a portable , it is a Deck system with a DVD player and 5.1 built in , what comes out of the MD is a Virtual 5.1 it is synthesized , or created after the fact , All of the prerecorded MD 's are Stereo format . There are a few collectors on the board here ( I am one ) I have about 12 Pre records but there were about 300 different titles released ,..... you happen to have one of the coolest ones , and if there is something you want from Japan , I would be VERY happy to do some trading with you . My wife would go nuts if I presented that to her ( BIG Yes fan ) .

I was able to download a DTS-encoded WAV file in PCM to my RH1 (you can get some DTS-encoded files for free from http://www.sr.se/multikanal ). The unit obviously can not play it correctly (just produces digital noise), but I think, if you have a Hi-MD deck with an optical out, and connect this deck to a DTS-compatible receiver with an optical in, the receiver may be able to decode the 5.1 sound.

The SE-9 isnt a portable , it is a Deck system with a DVD player and 5.1 built in , what comes out of the MD is a Virtual 5.1 it is synthesized , or created after the fact , All of the prerecorded MD 's are Stereo format . There are a few collectors on the board here ( I am one ) I have about 12 Pre records but there were about 300 different titles released ,..... you happen to have one of the coolest ones , and if there is something you want from Japan , I would be VERY happy to do some trading with you . My wife would go nuts if I presented that to her ( BIG Yes fan ) .

Thanls for the offer I'll think about it.

The Rick Wakeman Md is actually encoded in Dolby surround it says so on the sleeve, granted my system can make most things sound as though its surround sound. You can still get copies of this MD on ebay in the UK.

cheers

Allan

[/quo

A link to one on ebay uk at the moment.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rick-Wakeman-Return-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Allan

Dolby Surround , and 5,1 are two different things .

Dolby surround is a psuedo surround based on Psycho acoustic principles designed to simulate surround. Many MD players from the N series on into the HiMD player have that type or a very similar type built in . It is in the Sound menu.

5.1 is and actual encoding of several channels of audio to be decoded by a 5.1 capable proccessor in order to send each respective channel to its appropriate place (ie. Front Left , Front Right , Rear Left ,Rear Right , and subsonic frequencies sent to a Mono source out )

What you stated is that it was 5.1 ....... it is NOT , and it cannot be . At the time of the Prerecorded MD's being release , 5.1 hadnt even been composed yet , sound was still in the Dolby THX stages , and the only thing remotely close to 5.1 , was in Movie Theater sound systems , which I helped install .

Dolby Surround is still a stereo (Left ,Right ) 2 channel process . It use a Phase varient dual channel process to SIMULATE surround .

MD is not Capable of 5.1 , the processors in MD are stereo Two channel A/D -D/A conversion . You have to HAVE a 5.1 Channel Digital process to Get 5.1 and the speaker system, amplifier, and all the other goodies to go with it , 5.1 just doesnt come from 2 channels .