Help - How to get the best recording from my microphone

Rate this topic

hsl13

I Have a Sony ECM-959C to use with my Hi-MD recorders.

The Mic is powered by an AA battery

It has a double XLR connector

I have an XLR to 3.5 adaptor to connect it to my Minidisc

I will be recording loud music

What would be the best option for recording for me? do I need a battery box?

Thanks is advance!

I Have a Sony ECM-959C to use with my Hi-MD recorders.

The Mic is powered by an AA battery

It has a double XLR connector

I have an XLR to 3.5 adaptor to connect it to my Minidisc

I will be recording loud music

What would be the best option for recording for me? do I need a battery box?

Thanks is advance!

I have the 959a which is the same mic already built for MD , it has the 1/8 inch stereo plug on it . I would trade if you want .

I like the mic for certain things . For Loud Music , you will want to set your MD Mic sensitivity to Low (in the menus under recording options ) and keep you rec levels low , Watch the meters very carefully .

PM me if your interested , My 959a is in the original Box with tripod and windscreen all accessories.

With your home stereo, or just talking loudly into the mic, see if you can record into Line-in and get a decent level. Mic-in may distort with the bass from loud music.

If you're going to be facing the band when you record, switch the pickup angle to 90 degrees to cut out sound to the side. If you're not going to be directly facing the band, use the 120 angle--but do try to stay still while recording because the mic is directional, and you'll probably notice it on playback if you're swinging around.

Edited by A440

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the replys!

I have tried the mic a few times now, but have not really had time to listen to the recordings yet, but one thing i noticed that while i was recording on a few ocassions, the mic stopped recording? just for a few seconds, but long enough to spoil the recording (luckily each time I had my second minidisc unit recording line-in directly from the AMP!) it is like it switched off or lost connection? The unit or mic where not moved during the recording and there is no problem with the battery as i used a fresh AA each time, and the two times I used it it was on two different units but the same thing happened?

Has anyone every had this type of thing happen before? do you think there is a problem with the microphone? or possible with the XLR to 3.5 adaptor I am using? or the extra XLR connector that I am not using?

Does the Cable for the 959C come off? if it does , post a pic , maybe I can make a rewire chart for you so it connects directly to the MD

http://sp.sony-europe.com/media/8/3575 this is the same mic from the pic that I have but mine says 959a , this site calls it the 959c , but doesnt show XLR outs......

Edited by Guitarfxr

I cant seem to upload the pictures here so I have added them to my flickr account here,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15752729@N03/...57603675627696/

If someone could please download them from flickr and upload them here that would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Ok I saw the mic , I will look at mine again , it is the same mic , just different cable out , Do you know how to solder ? this will need a LOW temp solder and a very high quality headphone cable , what we will do is replace the cable that is in your mic , so that you dont need an adapter .It will connect directly to the MD.

Edited by Guitarfxr

Ok I saw the mic , I will look at mine again , it is the same mic , just different cable out , Do you know how to solder ? this will need a LOW temp solder and a very high quality headphone cable , what we will do is replace the cable that is in your mic , so that you dont need an adapter .It will connect directly to the MD.

Thanks for your help Guitarfxr

Yes, I can solder. Can you recomend a high quality headphone cable?

I take you believe the reason I am getting these cut outs during the recording is because of the cable and the adaptor?