Questions re comparing NH1 and RH1

Rate this topic

xswzaq

As a relative newcomer to the forum, can someone explain to me the differences between the NH1 and RH1 or RH910, to be used to record lectures in class and to record practice and jam sessions? Most appreciative. I went to the charts, but except for them using different batteries and remotes, what else ?

Thanks,

RC

As a relative newcomer to the forum, can someone explain to me the differences between the NH1 and RH1 or RH910, to be used to record lectures in class and to record practice and jam sessions? Most appreciative. I went to the charts, but except for them using different batteries and remotes, what else ?

Thanks,

RC

The battery for the RH1 is more difficult to get , and the RH 1 is the one for Uploading Old recordings from earlier models of MD , the gumstick battery of the other two are cheaper and readily available, whereas the RH1 battery is about 5,000 yen here

The RH1 and NH1 both use the same expensive battery (LIP-4WM). Only the RH910 can be powered by gumstick/AA. NH1 is first generation HiMD, RH910 second and RH1 third. NH1 cannot play mp3s, RH910 with a bug, RH1 mp3 playback is ok. The differences in recording quality are said to be marginal.

The RH1 is still the best unit for recording, since it remembers recording settings, instead of resetting them each time you press the stop button. Although the RH910 is much more convenient as a portable player.

Actually I will agree with this one , I do appreciate that it remembers the settings as well.

Thanks,

RC

For recording lectures your easiest route if you don't want to take the RH! might be BIGHMW's NH-800 that he has for sale here in the classifieds, it takes AA batteries if I remeber right, and will also upload to your puter. The NH1 will work great as well, but you definately need the RMK-40ELK remote to get the most out of it,(will do wonders on the RH1 as well). The NH1's are getting a little harder to find as well, would be worthwhile if you could find one at a good price.

Have fun,

Bob

The NH1 is so tiny because it puts all its functions--battery charger, etc.--on that big round proprietary docking station. No docking station and the thing is useless. Its USB connection is also proprietary and needs a special cord. Being so dependent on accessories is more trouble than it's worth.

The RH1 charges its battery in the unit itself and has a standard mini-USB connection, and is much better designed in general.

The basic NH700 is actually just fine for recording. Better, if you ask me, than the RH910 because it takes a regular AA battery instead of a gumstick rechargeable. The battery makes a bulge in the back, so the unit is thicker. But it's a workhorse.

But....

If you've never used minidisc and all you want to do is record lectures, you don't need minidisc. Get a Samson Zoom H2 for about $200. Or get an Edirol R09 for $350 to $400.

Unlike minidisc, those recorders do not require an outboard microphone--they have a stereo pair built in. (The RH1 is sometimes packaged as the MZ-M200, which is the RH1 plus a clunky Sony mic, the DS70P.) For music, you would eventually want to get a better set of outboard mics and a battery module to record through line-in, but you might be able to get away with the built-in mics on the Zoom or Edirol.

And unlike minidisc, with the other recorders you can just drag and drop your recordings into your computer.

Whereas with every minidisc except the RH1 (and the M10 and M100 that are virtually impossible to find), you need a PC--no Macs. You need to install SonicStage software from Sony (free and worth no more than that). And transferring your recording is a two-step process: upload and then convert to a non-encrypted format. Minidiscs are encrypted: all your recordings go into one giant file, and if that file is in any way corrupted, everything on the disc turns into useless data. It can happen.

Minidisc at this point is really for longtime users who already have lots of discs recorded, and for people who need the stealthiness of separate outboard microphones and a remote control. For us, it's worth dealing with the quirks of minidisc. For your purposes, it's too much hassle.

I'm not trying to shut you out of the club. If something about minidisc really appeals to you, then go for it. But I think there are alternatives now.

Edited by A440

Thanks so much to all of you. Your responses helped a lot. I have a sort of broken 900, which I had used for both lectures and music (to record jam sessions, practice, etc.) The pitch control playback was nice for the latter. Anyway, I say "sort of broken", because I have been able to revive it by using the remote and the plug in adaptor.

So I bought an RH1 for music recording, and am seeking a separate one for voice. What about (dare I say) iriver ifp 700 or 800 series ? Another student had one last semester and it worked well.....

I'm not trying to shut you out of the club. If something about minidisc really appeals to you, then go for it. But I think there are alternatives now.

A440, I wrote a nice blog about minidisc not too long ago talking about this (it's on this forum somewhere). I have a question for you about the alternatives. Are there alternatives out there right now that can honestly replace the sound quality and reliability of the mindisc? I have an RH1 right now, but I can see myself getting something else in the future because the minidisc is essentially dead. But the sound quality of the recordings on the RH1 is excellent and I've heard it's not so great on the other flash recorders out there.

A440, I wrote a nice blog about minidisc not too long ago talking about this (it's on this forum somewhere). I have a question for you about the alternatives. Are there alternatives out there right now that can honestly replace the sound quality and reliability of the mindisc? I have an RH1 right now, but I can see myself getting something else in the future because the minidisc is essentially dead. But the sound quality of the recordings on the RH1 is excellent and I've heard it's not so great on the other flash recorders out there.

Me not 440 , Me out of tune :secret: , but research PCM-D50 by Sony , "HiMD without the Disc " it has the stuff.

The other more affordable alternatives are the Zoom H2 and the Edirol R09.

Sound quality on playback through the RH1 is superb. And mic preamps on MD--if you're not recording something too bass-heavy for them to handle--are by all accounts considered better than those on the flash units.

But the sound quality recorded on the other units should be equivalent if you go through Line-in--possibly better when recording at higher bitrates than the RH1 can use. And there's no SonicStage or encryption to worry about.

Edited by A440

The other more affordable alternatives are the Zoom H2 and the Edirol R09.

Sound quality on playback through the RH1 is superb. And mic preamps on MD--if you're not recording something too bass-heavy for them to handle--are by all accounts considered better than those on the flash units.

But the sound quality recorded on the other units should be equivalent if you go through Line-in--possibly better when recording at higher bitrates than the RH1 can use. And there's no SonicStage or encryption to worry about.

yeah, but it ain't MD, if I ever go for something else, it will still have some sort of physical moveable media, DAT is going cheap on ebay, might try it out. I just like moving parts, , more fun, but I do see an RH1 or M200 in my life soon.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...