How to record from youtube

Rate this topic

vantheman

Is there anyway to directly record youtube sound recordings without having to put it first on MD and then go to the computer? Is there a way to just go from youtube to Sonic Stage. It takes me too much time to have to record to minidisc and then go to sonic stage and then burn a CD. If anyone knows of an easier way I would appreciate the hlep.

Merry Christmas to all,

vanj

You can use Audacity for recording. In Audacity, set the output slider to maximum, the input slider to minimum and choose stereo mix as the source to record from.

post-6863-1198661140_thumb.png

In the lower left corner, choose the sample rate - 44100 is the default and suitable if you want to burn it to an audio CD. In the preferences, set the amount of channels. Youtube is 1ch (mono) only as far as I know, but if you are going to burn it to an audio CD, you could as well use two channels, which would avoid later conversion. In the quality tab, choose 16bit.

If you want to save it in data mode on a CD you could as well record in Youtube's native format, which is one channel, 22050 Hz as far as I know.

Set the Youtube volume slider to maximum. Start recording by clicking Audacity's red record button. Start the video. When finished, use the yellow stop button to stop the recording. Audacity is also an editor and you might want to edit the file before exporting (cutting, etc.), but I won't get into details here. There's a manual included.

Once you're done, choose export from the file menu - WAV format if you want to burn an audio CD or any other format if it's going to be a data CD.

Fire up the CD burning software of your choice, import the file(s) and burn.

Hey I appreciate the help. Downloaded Audicity and it worked. The only problem I have is that while recording the sound has a bad echo to it. Don't know how to fix that. Any suggestions as always will be appreciated.

vanj

Turn your speakers /Mic down or off .

Your mic is picking up the sound from the speakers . The Stereo mix setting , means any sound coming into your soundcard gets mixed , including the mic .

If your on a Mac I can give you a better way to get You tube ,.... It is a Mac secret though heheheheheh!

Edited by Guitarfxr

Got it to work. It was playing the track as I recorded it and was also recording the playback. Had to go into audacity preferences and change that. Thanks to all here for you help.

vanj

you can also use a site like keepvid to download the youtube video to your computer and rip the sound from the video using something like "super ©". That way you get to keep the video also.

• 9 months later...

My preferred method of downloading YouTube (and other) vids is:

Mozilla Firefox http://www.mozilla.com

..combined with:

Video DownloadHelper

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006

(toolbar button animates when finding media, click little black down arrow on toolbar to save)

Fast Video Download

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3590

...is another good one, making it really dead easy.

Downloading the vid first isolates you from possible bandwidth problems, after which you can do with it what you like.

I play the resulting FLV videos with:

http://www.martijndevisser.com/blog/flv-player/

It makes sense to close down the page from streaming while you are downloading it in any one of these add-ons.