Line in recording FROM Hi MD

Rate this topic

ratbagradio

Since I use Linux -- Unbuntu -- on my computer I cannot employ Sonic Stage.

So I want to record from my mini disc player (HMD) directly to edit on my computer program -- Audacity in real time.

To do this requires what?

(1) I plug my line into the headset jack on the HiMD and plug the other end of the line into my computer's micorphone port.

(2) Is there another option? My computer microphone recoding has a high sound floor which I'd like circumvent.

I'm thinking this should work Ok as I can edit as I go on the one track in Audacity without the complication of having to upload all the audio from the MD transpose it and then drag it in dribs and drabs across to my Ubuntu machine.I lose some sound quality of course but with mini disc theres' a lot of room when theres' none when you record direct to pc.

Since I use Linux -- Unbuntu -- on my computer I cannot employ Sonic Stage.

So I want to record from my mini disc player (HMD) directly to edit on my computer program -- Audacity in real time.

To do this requires what?

(1) I plug my line into the headset jack on the HiMD and plug the other end of the line into my computer's micorphone port.

(2) Is there another option? My computer microphone recoding has a high sound floor which I'd like circumvent.

I'm thinking this should work Ok as I can edit as I go on the one track in Audacity without the complication of having to upload all the audio from the MD transpose it and then drag it in dribs and drabs across to my Ubuntu machine.I lose some sound quality of course but with mini disc theres' a lot of room when theres' none when you record direct to pc.

Line in is what you do , but set your preference in Audacity , ( Stereo ,Mono,Bit Rate , Sample rate etc. ) then you export prefs when you finish recording , then "File" Export" Save as " .... > MP3 will require the Lame plugin , I have LAME 3.97 on mine , there are several types of the Lame codec available on the net , Unknown to many is the Audacity will use most of them , I have tried it , there were only two that did not work .

I am on a Mac .

Unix sortof !!!

What inputs do you have on your computer? Is there a line-in jack (usually white) along with a (red) mic-in jack, or just mic-in?

You can add Line-in (through USB) with a Griffin iMic, about $30, and get less noise.

http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-iMic-USB-Aud...1060&sr=8-1

The question is whether it will work with Linux--but Googling suggests it does.

http://seehuhn.de/pages/imic

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks folks This setup is working fine now. I'll explore the Griffin iMac option as Ubuntu forums suggest thats' very feasible on Ubuntu....

Re-recording this way also solves the annoying transfer problems you get with Sonic Stage -- of uploading then transposing to WAV then when importing the files into Audacity they come in dribs and drabs which w makes combining and editing so labor intensive. You have to label each track separately otherwise you get lost and for 40 minutes of recording time you may have many tracks you want to manipulate and edit. Since i often squish 45 minutes to one hour down to 15 - 20 minutes I cut and paste a lot in the edit and Sonic Stage --and MD -- makes chronology confusing when you start moving stuff around. (and you're in a hurry)

Since I"m recording voice the quality loss isn't significant and if I can get Griffin iMac to work -- I'm way way ahead.

• 3 weeks later...

Got myself the early edition Griffin iMic. cheap on eBay.

17867447.jpg

Wow! What a handy tool. I now plug in my MD and re-record direct to Audacity with a very low sound floor.

It's a solution to so many issues I had been experiencing in way of getting live recorded audio from my MD into the computer. The Sonic Stage route --just for voice -- is a pain., what with the conversion protocols.

So playing the audio on the MD in real time and editing with the the Audacity options and the MD handset makes the whole business straightforward. The Griffin iMic will also -- and this surprised me! -- take my MD plug in power microphones so i can use the same mics for computer input recoding without getting new USB port ones or a pre-amp. Great way to extend you MD microphone collection.

My iMic came with a complimentary copy of Audacity editing software too. So that saves a download if you are starting off at a basic audio editing level.

So I'm thinking that I've got myself a customized podcasting studio -- a small portable utility setup akin to the one below:

WebStudio1.jpg

which is explored here.

I'm no sound snob and I do most of my recording away form the pc on minidisc -- so the later computer interface is what I'm interested in. That's mainly for editing. All I need is to add a little voice over here and there at the computer desk to the sound file after I edit it to shape.

I also record my phone interviews using a cubby studio ( or den)-- with a speaker phone rather than via VOIP (eg: Skype) methods.. This is the setup pictured below:

RRstudio.JPG

I use the cubby because I cannot sound proof this computer room. I'd need expensive & quiet air conditioning in this sub tropical climate --and without that it's too flamin' hot to work and talk. So I aim my head into the 'hole' and in there are my microphones and my speaker telephone when I'm interviewing.

I'm still fiddling with the arrangement but --as you see it's sound proofing like the Hollywood Bowl or a loud hailer. I need to work out my microphone setup and make the interface more ergonomic. This also means that I can RECORD to the MD while also RECORDING direct to Audacity so I can get not only the MD disc as backup but an