PC not recognizing

Rate this topic

hogarth27

I think I've even asked this before here, but now the problem is with both my DH 10P and NHF800, while before it was with one or the other. Especially when it has been a while since I've hooked one up I get a message that it has not been able to find a driver for "this unknown USB device."

I suppose I should tell you it is a HP Pavillion running on Vista Premium.

It asks me to find the driver.

I look in the Sony manuals and find the same advice in both, which comes down to re-installing from the disk. But there have been several upgrades since then. Should I try that, or would it be enough to find the drivers and point them out to Vista?

If so, what's the drivers names?

I see I didn't mention it, but there have been periods when the PC did recognize one or the other, but not both.

The project I was going to use them on was done using another bunch of hard and soft wares, so there's no hurry, but I'd sure like to have them available.

Thanks

The only version of SonicStage compatible with Vista is 4.3. Installing it should give you the drivers.

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=18671

I checked to see, and I already had that version, but I re-installed anyway, since it had asked me to insert disc.

So I re-installed, rebooted, and it offered to look through web and through my files, and then it asked me to browse, which I did, referring it to the Program File. When it looked through the files is when it asked me to insert the disc.

Now, it did recognize it as HiMd device.

So that's progress.

The way to findx what works is to find lots of things that don't work, so we're on the way to the answer. I hope.

And thanks for that try.

This suggests that something was wrong in the existing SonicStage installation.

The first thing you should do is run File Conversion Tool on My Library, with Add Copy Protection UN-checked, and then make a safe copy of whatever folder holds My Library on CD, DVD, external hard drive, etc. Then you will have un-encrypted .oma files that any SonicStage can play.

And then, once you are absolutely sure you have your library out of Sonic Stage's encrypted little clutches--preferably by playing a file or two from your backup on SonicStage on another computer--I would uninstall 4.3 completely (through Add/Remove Programs) and install it fresh from either Sony's web installer or the full installer from the link above. Maybe a reinstall would get along better with your computer.

This suggests that something was wrong in the existing SonicStage installation.

The first thing you should do is run File Conversion Tool on My Library, with Add Copy Protection UN-checked, and then make a safe copy of whatever folder holds My Library on CD, DVD, external hard drive, etc. Then you will have un-encrypted .oma files that any SonicStage can play.

And then, once you are absolutely sure you have your library out of Sonic Stage's encrypted little clutches--preferably by playing a file or two from your backup on SonicStage on another computer--I would uninstall 4.3 completely (through Add/Remove Programs) and install it fresh from either Sony's web installer or the full installer from the link above. Maybe a reinstall would get along better with your computer.

First of all, I don't keep my music in MY LIBRARY. and use SS only for putting things onto Hi, and for listening I use Foobar. So I didn't do any conversion.

Second, I found on further attempts that while the PC did recognize that the NHF800 is a HiMD creature, but did not find any drivers, the DH10P remained a complete stranger.

Now.

I did do a complete uninstall - install. When it was all done, I found that everything is happy and connecting with the NHF. bit DH remained a complete stranger.

To Arvin, I got the files you mention, but have no idea how to install them.

While I'm glad to have the one working, I was really hoping to have the DH deal with MP3s directly, or at least I think it could having seen that info elsewhere in this site.

And I have used the photo part on the DH, and I can't get to those pictures/files without recognizing.

Again, though, my thanks for your good efforts, all of you.

It doesn't have dedicated Vista drivers, but still it is Vista-compatible. Just run SETUP.EXE from the root folder, and restart your computer after it is complete.

I imagine if I mention "thank goodness forSYSTEM RESTORE" here, you'll have some idea of what I'm about to relate.

OK, I unzipped, I ran SETUP.EXE and waited hopefully.

The NHF still worked ok when I had SonicStage running, but it did not show up on the COMPUTER or WIN'EXPLORER screens.

The DH10 still didn't show up anywhere.

Getting back to the screens, while since the beginning the COMPUTER screen showed C: as being main drive and D: being RECOVERY and E: being CD/DVD, it also showed the four slots for memory cards, flash sticks etc., and back when it all worked it showed my two external hard drives and when I had the MiniDisc plugged in, another letter for each.

Thank goodness for System Restore.

So I don't think that was such a good idea, but it should have been.

I'm going to think about other things for a while, and get back to this at some later date, when it may be more important. Now (OT) I'm wondering if since I have not only a set of recovery discs from my vendor, and thorough Acronis backups, is there any reason not do get rid of HP's Recovery and use that disc space for something else?

Since that is off topic I don't expect an answer.

Thanks

I deleted my ASUS recovery partition the day the computer arrived. But I knew exactly what I was doing - I didn't need any recovery for Windows XP, since I decided to do a clean install of Windows 2000 (which works to this day). What's more, the recovery partition is usually a hidden partition of the hard drive, although I can't tell exactly about HP.

The possible problem with your configuration may be caused by these external hard drives. That is, a drive letter conflict between an external hard drive and a Hi-MD unit. Try disconnecting the external hard drives, or changing their letters to something like Y: and Z: via Disk Management (if you know what this is). And remember that a Hi-MD unit with a legacy MD-formatted disc in it will never show in Windows Explorer.

The possible problem with your configuration may be caused by these external hard drives. That is, a drive letter conflict between an external hard drive and a Hi-MD unit. Try disconnecting the external hard drives, or changing their letters to something like Y: and Z: via Disk Management (if you know what this is). And remember that a Hi-MD unit with a legacy MD-formatted disc in it will never show in Windows Explorer.

I hope I'm npt sounding contentious, but you're wrong in that last sweeping statement. Recall that I said it used to work. And the DH10P's dual uses make it necessary for the files/photos be available to see and work with on the computer.

When it worked, on this computer in days of yore, I took a picture using DH10P, I transfered it to my computer and I did that by being able to seek via Widows Explorer the files on the Sony.

Come to think of it, the attachment here is a print screen of my computer's Explorer with the NHF800 which is showing a MD formatted disc.

Anyway. I used to be able to use the DH10P. This computer, which has been through a couple of restorations of the whole disc and a few other problems I don't want to think about, used to show me what was on my DH10P, both as an adjunct to SonicStage and as a camera.

I just want to be able to do that again.

I'm not a techie, but a reasonably intelligent person who can follow instructions.

Thanks to any and all who may help

post-12313-1199639608_thumb.jpg

I wasn't wrong at all. A unit with a Hi-MD formatted disc inside does show up as a removable drive. A unit with a legacy MD formatted disc inside does not.

Have you actually tried changing external hard drive letters? From what I see in the picture, the unit used to be a drive H:, and it is not the last drive letter in your configuration. The letter could have easily been taken by some other drive (whether an actual hard hard drive, or a card reader). Check you Disk Management application (right-click on My Computer, choose Manage, and then go to Storage>Disk Management (with the unit connected, and a Hi-MD formatted disc inserted). If you see a letter-less drive there, it may be the unit (check the drive size). Try to assign a drive letter to it (by right-clicking it and choosing Change Drive Letter and Path...

The above methods correspond to Windows 2000 and XP. I am not sure how this should be done under Vista. May be similar, but may be quite different.

Edited by Avrin

I took a day off to take care of some other things, having tried every thing which has been suggested. And I thought a thought. It always worked on my previous XP machine. I still have the XP (it is in working order but some shortcomings prompted me to get a new one.) I pulled it out from under my desk, hooked up peripherals, turned it on, and then connected the USB plug in question.

Got the message about not recognizing.

My conclusion is that there is something wrong with the DH10P or the cradle, or even the USB cable.

Any comments?

And what next?

I wasn't wrong at all. A unit with a Hi-MD formatted disc inside does show up as a removable drive. A unit with a legacy MD formatted disc inside does not.

Have you actually tried changing external hard drive letters? From what I see in the picture, the unit used to be a drive H:, and it is not the last drive letter in your configuration. The letter could have easily been taken by some other drive (whether an actual hard hard drive, or a card reader). Check you Disk Management application (right-click on My Computer, choose Manage, and then go to Storage>Disk Management (with the unit connected, and a Hi-MD formatted disc inserted). If you see a letter-less drive there, it may be the unit (check the drive size). Try to assign a drive letter to it (by right-clicking it and choosing Change Drive Letter and Path...

The above methods correspond to Windows 2000 and XP. I am not sure how this should be done under Vista. May be similar, but may be quite different.

My conclusion is that there is something wrong with the DH10P or the cradle, or even the USB cable.

Any comments?

And what next?

you bring a point about the cable , as that the USB cable for the 10p is a funky one , Take a Qtip and some alchohol (not the drinking kind get that rum outa yer hand boy) and try cleaning the metal contacts on the funky end of the cable wit a dampened Q-tip .

also if you move the cradle around alot , I am wondering if one of the wires inside the cable might be opened , ( short means closed , opened means broken) ......

you bring a point about the cable , as that the USB cable for the 10p is a funky one , Take a Qtip and some alchohol (not the drinking kind get that rum outa yer hand boy) and try cleaning the metal contacts on the funky end of the cable wit a dampened Q-tip .

also if you move the cradle around alot , I am wondering if one of the wires inside the cable might be opened , ( short means closed , opened means broken) ......

I LOVE YOU!

One Q-Tip, Tiny bit of alchohol, gently application, careful re-insertion of very funky connectors, computer goes BLOOP-BLAP, removeable disc N appears on the screen, SonicStage reads the disc.

Thank you!

RE-edit: one hour later.

Curious. I closed SonicStage, and drive N disappeared and drive H appeared with the files listed. (both music and jpg)

Curious

Edited by hogarth27

I LOVE YOU!

One Q-Tip, Tiny bit of alchohol, gently application, careful re-insertion of very funky connectors, computer goes BLOOP-BLAP, removeable disc N appears on the screen, SonicStage reads the disc.

Thank you!

Curious. One hour later I close SonicStage, with USB connections in place, and drive N goes away and drive H appears, with the dos names of the files. Curious.

Oh well.

:friends:

You could clean the contacts a little more pressure , but the inside of the cradle or the 10p itself be a little careful about that , to clean the 10p take the battery out , use a small VERY firm hobby brush ( Model railroad store , type hobby shop will have ,them they are white, and look like the little brushes in the dental isle to get between the teeth.

Again just damp not wet , scrub the contacts inside the 10p , and the cradle as well ( 3 in total , 10p inside, cradle inside, cradle underside connector.)

Edited by Guitarfxr