An Ode to Tubes

Rate this topic

Strungup

• 4 weeks later...

Absolutely marvelous video , of a Guy MAKING his own tubes , just beautiful ...................

I present , "Les Electrodes"

http://paillard.claude.free.fr/

Nice link, thanks! The effort that goes into those babies. I'm actually on the lookout for a replacement tube for my cheapo Presonus preamp, which despite being apparently 'award winning' has always been disappointing to me. As a musician yourself, do you have any suggestions for nice tubes? It's primarily for vocals, rather than instruments...

Nice link, thanks! The effort that goes into those babies. I'm actually on the lookout for a replacement tube for my cheapo Presonus preamp, which despite being apparently 'award winning' has always been disappointing to me. As a musician yourself, do you have any suggestions for nice tubes? It's primarily for vocals, rather than instruments...

Which model presonus? they generally have 12ax7's , but if the specs allow it a 12au7 can be used for a little less gain and a warmer sound .

7255's might also work but I need to know which model.

Which model presonus? they generally have 12ax7's , but if the specs allow it a 12au7 can be used for a little less gain and a warmer sound .

7255's might also work but I need to know which model.

Thanks. As far as I'm aware (and I have the box here at my home in Sheffield, although the unit is in London where my band is based) it's just called TubePre. Yeah, you're right, it uses a single 12AX7.

It's so hard trying to find info on the net - there are a few places selling tubes, but they all assume the buyer is an expert! Can't find anywhere that says 'this is good for warm vocals, this is good for whatever, etc etc'. I find the unit sounds too harsh as it currently is. It was very cheap though (about £65 if I remember right).

I'll do some googling for 12AU7 tubes now. Thanks for the tip. If you have any more advice based on the unit I have, I'd be happy to hear. Arigatou! ^_^

Edited by KanakoAndTheNumbSkulls

yeah a 12au7 will take the harsh out of it , and different mics have different character dont forget that , the Audio Technica 2020 might be a nice cheap mic for the matching to that preamp

Yeah - the AKG C1000S that I use is not the warmest of mics either - but I used it for a while before acquiring my preamp, and there is definitely an added harshness that was not there before. I've actually gone back to just using the mic inputs on my mixing desk, which is a characterless cold sound, but clean.

I'll try one of those tubes you suggested. :)

Yeah - the AKG C1000S that I use is not the warmest of mics either - but I used it for a while before acquiring my preamp, and there is definitely an added harshness that was not there before. I've actually gone back to just using the mic inputs on my mixing desk, which is a characterless cold sound, but clean.

I'll try one of those tubes you suggested. :)

I miss typed one sorry , 7025 not 7255

12AX7, 12AU7,ECC83,7025 are compatable but different characters and voltages

Here is a good link

http://www.torresengineering.com/groovtubec.html

groove tubes

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to recall finding a place in Russia that still had and made tubes, try googling, or maybe Avrin can help

Bob

Russia? Tubes are available all over the world, they're used in the music industry in millions of products from guitar amps, to condenser microphones, to audiophile amplification and many other things. They're not hard to find by any means. What is hard to find is advice on the net about which tubes are best for what, and what sound they have. :)

I've decided to wait till my new mic arrives before I invest in a new tube. I've just ordered a Rode NT2-A. Can't wait to get it!

Edited by KanakoAndTheNumbSkulls