Should we stock up on media now?

Rate this topic

kevs

Ebay is now the only option it seems. But have you seen the prices on Ebay for discs now? Soon you won't even be able to afford the asking price anymore.

I recall so many stories here of people trying to give their disc collections away and still they couldn't get rid of them. The MD market sometimes makes no sense to me at all.

Edited by kino170878

What do you guys think?

We will wake up one day and MD media will be gone or exoribitant?

I believe so, or at least the Sony ones will be (Premium Gold MDW-80 and HMD1GL Blue Series Hi-MD's), so don't take that chance, stock up now!

Or will it be like cassette tapes and dat and be available and moderately priced for decades to come?

I don't believe so, if you care anything about quality, already TDK and Maxell have discontinued their MD lineup and you can bet that good-old Sony (God love them.... NOT!) may be the one behind it all with their good buddies from the RIAA knowing that is the only way that we digital recording enthusiasts can record and edit digitally before burning, backing it up, or up/downloading to CD (like I do for most of my compilations) is through MD/Hi-MD.

What do you all think?

Don't wait, pull the damn trigger! Get blank media and get plenty of it now!

C'mon Ray-J, the computer you're using can edit digitally...

Sony has moved to flash recorders, like every one else...

You're getting caricatural, man...

OK Wiz, I must admit that I am a bit behind on the tech times, but, do Sony's flash players utilize any of the infamous DRM or SCMS? I hope not.

You guys are kidding right?

Panicing, actually.

As people abandon Minidisc, there's going to be TONS of cheap media to be had on the used market, for YEARS to come.

For those left using Minidisc, you will have your pick of blank MD media.

Heck, you can still buy reel-to-reel and 8-track tape media fairly easily and cheaply online.

MD (standard MD) is going to be available for a long time, new stock, used stock and unused stock people find in the backs of warehouses.

The only MD media that might get harder track down is Hi-MD and MD-Data. But even then, when you find it they buyer will probably be happy to just get rid of it.

Edited by Ral-Clan

For those left using Minidisc, you will have your pick of blank MD media.

MD (standard MD) is going to be available for a long time, new stock, used stock and unused stock people find in the backs of warehouses.

The only MD media that might get harder track down is Hi-MD and MD-Data. But even then, when you find it they buyer will probably be happy to just get rid of it.

Yeah, but I always want to get fresh media as well as seconds, especially of Hi-MD, and maybe another RH1/M200 in case the one I have konks out on me during transfer of files.

As for recording live on the fly, like at shows at small venues, I have lived with good-old ATRAC 292 kbps (SP mode for all you kiddies out there) for a long time (10 years), and I will always have a huge arsenal of both legacy (2 MZ-R70S, 1 MZ-R70G and 2 MZ-R700S represented here) and Hi-MD units (2 MZ-NH700S, 2 MZ-RH710B and 1 MZ-RH1B represented here) to both enjoy my music and store my files for decades to come.

I'm in southern CA. I buy HiMD media at either the Sony Factory store or at Fry's Electronics. Both are priced at $6.95 and they always have fresh stock. I buy a new disk every time I visit.

So, I think we are safe for a while. But it is nice to have a stack of media still in the wrapper. :give_heart2:

Yeah, but I always want to get fresh media as well as seconds, especially of Hi-MD, and maybe another RH1/M200 in case the one I have konks out on me during transfer of files.

As for recording live on the fly, like at shows at small venues, I have lived with good-old ATRAC 292 kbps (SP mode for all you kiddies out there) for a long time (10 years), and I will always have a huge arsenal of both legacy (2 MZ-R70S, 1 MZ-R70G and 2 MZ-R700S represented here) and Hi-MD units (2 MZ-NH700S, 2 MZ-RH710B and 1 MZ-RH1B represented here) to both enjoy my music and store my files for decades to come.

You dont have an R50 ,.... you gotta hear one Big , the 70 and 50 are very different creatures, The R50 , is what SP is supposed to sound like

You dont have an R50 ,.... you gotta hear one Big , the 70 and 50 are very different creatures, The R50 , is what SP is supposed to sound like

Oh, TC, how wrong you are... I do own, and have owned an R50, although not this particular one in specific, the R50 was my first unit back in 1998.

I just never declared it as part of my intended lineup, as it was gonna be resold for money, but, since you brought it up, I intend to keep it as a momento of the first unit I ever bought, although this one was bought back in December of last year as part of a package deal, in which I was gonna strip what I wanted and then turn around and sell the rest.

The sentimental value of this unit is far greater than any dollar value, either here or on eBay, can ever buy me. This one came with the power adapter, the RM-MZR50 remote, the AA battery clip, a bunch of premastered MDs, and a Case Logic MDC-1 case.

Somehow, just like my days in school when I was a kid, you never forget your first (the R50, TC, not Cindy Margolis, my first crush was Tempo Edwards in 1978), and for me mine was and always will be an R50, that is why I reacquired one this past December, as part of my stock and this will be in the retired section mainly but it will be used every once in a while, but what would you rather have give up the ghost on you, one of my/your newer units (except for my RH1 or MZ-1), or my first from back in 1998?

The answer I think is an easy one.

Thanks TC, for convincing me and inspiring me not to give up on that first from 10 years ago, in the end it will all pay off.

Edited by BIGHMW

Ral:

thanks for the optimistic outlook.

You're welcome. This week supports my theory a bit. I just picked up an MZ-R700 (really good SP/LP recording model) for $15US ($20 with shipping) on Ebay. Then a few days later an old highschool friend e-mailed me to offer (for free) his Kenwood DMC-G7R SP recorder! Both these units were over $300 when new.

People are just dumping these things (along with the media). So if you like to stick with MD (as I do as for field recording) it's a cheap way to get a high quality digital audio device! Really that's the only remaining advantage MD has over a flash recorder. Flash recorders are just as good, but you can't buy one for $15 US!

I think it's not going to be an issue of finding old MD units & media, but rather an issue of learning to hold back from getting too much ultra cheap MD stuff!

Edited by Ral-Clan

Again, the production of mindisc related items is almost grinding to a halt. This will mean that supply of minidisc media will surely dry up. Prices on Ebay (and I look out on Ebay every single day) are holding their levels, and I predict that as time goes by the media will get rarer and rarer. I am becoming increasingly worried. I need the money to buy my stock now, not in 5 years time when nothing will be left.

Ral, agree with Kino's pessimistic statement.

Kino, what mean, need money now, confusing. are you gonna buy ton now?

There also the idea, tell me if I'm wrong, that Sony, who will be around after we all die, MAY supply new affordable media for all machines they make for next 50 years or so, ie, cassette decks, mini discs, Dat recorders etc, not for profit, but just not to piss off their clients who own hundreds of thousands of these machines.

Again, the production of mindisc related items is almost grinding to a halt. This will mean that supply of minidisc media will surely dry up. Prices on Ebay (and I look out on Ebay every single day) are holding their levels, and I predict that as time goes by the media will get rarer and rarer. I am becoming increasingly worried. I need the money to buy my stock now, not in 5 years time when nothing will be left.

I don't agree with you. Here's why. I collect old computers & video games from the 1980s like Commodore, Atari, etc. These systems were made about 20 years ago. Packs of 5-1/4" disks for these computers can still be cheaply purchased as new, old stock (unused) even 20 years later. Cartridges for Atari computers rarely go beyond $10 each for the scarcer titles, and the majority of the common ones are only a few bucks. The actual consoles & computers can still be had for less than $20 even after all this time.

Now, there were far more Minidisc walkmans made & sold than Commodore computers or Atari consoles. Millions and MILLIONS of MD walkmans were sold world-wide. For every 1 MD walkman produced, lets say that 10 discs were made (a conservative ratio). That means that there are 10 to 20 million MD discs floating around out there in the world (at least). Even if half of these are tossed in the garbage, that still leaves at least 5 million discs to eventually show up on the re-sellers market (ebay, your local paper, your Freecycle, etc.).

In 10 or 20 years there will only be a few thousand people worldwide still sticking with MD, out of nostalgia or whatever. So don't tell me there won't be enough discs around for those people needing or wanting some.

Sure they are used media. But most people just recorded on them once and that's it. MDs can be re-written up to a million times (as claimed by Sony). Plus, as I said, you can still buy new, unopened 8-track cassettes, reel to reel cassettes, Beta cassettes, etc. TODAY fairly easily. This is stuff that just never got cleared out of the backs of warehouses. Home Beta decks were discontinued in the 1980s but the tapes were still manufactured up until 1999, for instance.

And as for $1.50 MDs on Ebay. I personally think that's a GREAT price for discs. That's less than a VHS or cassette tape nowadays around where I live.

Plus, whoever said they couldn't find cheap MD media on eBay wasn't looking very hard. Here's an auction for four discs that has 6 hours to go and is still at 99-cents. That's 25 cents per disc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-USED-MINI-DISC-for-M...1QQcmdZViewItem

here's another:

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-New-and-11-1-Used-mi...1QQcmdZViewItem

here's another:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-of-17-Recordable-M...1QQcmdZViewItem

and some new discs:

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-blank-MiniDisc-74-mi...1QQcmdZViewItem

...I found those auctions within two minutes by typing "blank minidiscs".

Also, Ebay is a terrible place to look for deals (unless you are lucky). There's too much competition. It's a sellers market. Try your local pawn shop, or buy & sell, or Craigslist for even better deals (or free give-aways).

Edited by Ral-Clan

You're welcome. This week supports my theory a bit. I just picked up an MZ-R700 (really good SP/LP recording model) for $15US ($20 with shipping) on Ebay. Then a few days later an old highschool friend e-mailed me to offer (for free) his Kenwood DMC-G7R SP recorder! Both these units were over $300 when new.

People are just dumping these things (along with the media). So if you like to stick with MD (as I do as for field recording) it's a cheap way to get a high quality digital audio device! Really that's the only remaining advantage MD has over a flash recorder. Flash recorders are just as good, but you can't buy one for $15 US!

I think it's not going to be an issue of finding old MD units & media, but rather an issue of learning to hold back from getting too much ultra cheap MD stuff!

Good call on that. Speaking of finding top for cheap prices, I scored an incomplete MZ-NH700 (!!!) from Canada for the incredibly low price of $24.99 USD ($50.00 incl. shipping, see http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...N:IT&ih=023 for more details!!!), so I am on the kill phase for both MD and Hi-MD gear while it is still around. As for blank media I do agree that we should buy now while there still is stock and for cheap, better not wait too long, because as soon as mainstream merchahnts start reading our posts on the and other boards they will gouge the prices on them before you can say "Jack Robinson".

Good call on that. Speaking of finding top for cheap prices, I scored an incomplete MZ-NH700 (!!!) from Canada for the incredibly low price of $24.99 USD ($50.00 incl. shipping, see http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...N:IT&ih=023 for more details!!!)

Good price. I was shocked a couple of weeks ago to spot an MZ-NH600 in my local electronics store for $39. I grabbed it right quick. My first HiMD unit too. The cheapest I've seen the MZ-NH600 anywhere else (new) is $100. Can't even get any decent models in Brisbane -I'm looking at paying $600 to buy direct from Sony (for the MZ-RH1), which I'm not gonna do unless it's my only option.

Excellent post Ral!

Where did you get that name, what does it mean?

Those disc on ebay, postage may cost more disc. that's issue, I like to get 100 at time. but thanks for reminding me not to be scared of used disc if need be.

Where will you be in 20 years? will I still record on MD? who knows. If hard drive space finally becomes silly cheap maybe then I'll finally bail. (it still up to 40¢ Gig)

Pawn shops don't work! They have nothing.

But Craig's list: that's a great ticket.

It's nice to be optimistic. I really hope that discs can be easily found to buy in the near future, used or new. However, until a few years ago mindiscs were everywhere. Now they are nowhere. I remember when sellers on ebay were selling lots of 100 brand new minidiscs at a go, alas I couldn't afford to get those at the time. Nothing could have prepared me for the shock of seeing MD completely disappear from the high street retailers even when I sensed the beginning of the end.

The fact that there are supposedly huge stockpiles of media lying abandoned in warehouses and other locations means nothing to me unless I can get a sizeable amount of discs at one go and at reasonable rates. I don't want to wait 20 years when only a thousand or so users will be left and the seller's market changes to favour buyers instead. Time is too short.

As soon as I get the cash, I am going to buy as many minidiscs as I can afford wherever they may be advertised. Good luck to the rest of you.

Hmmmm....

I was the one warning of this up to over two YEARS ago...and I was summarily silenced on this board. I warned everyone of the end, yet it was ME who was labeled the "bad guy" and the harbinger of bad news as well as fear mongering. I correctly predicted that the RH1 was the final send-off to MD users...a way to get your recordings off of minidisc sounding the final death knell to the format in the marketplace. I was shut down...I was banned. I was also right.

I told everyone to stockpile a LONG time ago...I've stockpiled about 1000 discs and about 50-60 decks. I advised others to do the same. I was told that I was being too negative.

MD is with ME for life. Too bad more didn't follow my advice.

1000 discs I can imagine, but 50-60 decks?!? That's insane! And are you stocking them in fire-proof safes in different banks of the world?!? C'mon...

I collect them and I like them. Here's a partial list of what I currently have:

Sony MDS-JA333ES (several, both black and gold versions)

Sony MDS-JA555ES (several, gold versions)

Sony MDS-JA20ES (4 units)

Sony MDS-JA22ES (gold)

Sony MDS-JA30ES (gold)

Sony MDS-JB930 (5 units, gold, silver, and black)

Sony MDS-JB980 (2 units, silver)

Sony MDS-JA3ES (black)

Sony MDS-JB940 (several units, both silver and 1 black)

Sony MDS-JB920 (4 units, black)

Sony MXD-D400 (2 units)

Sony MXD-D3

Sony MDS-W1 direct ATRAC lossless dubbing decks (4 units, all black)

Onkyo MD-133 HiMD decks (3 units, silver)

Onkyo MD-2321 (4 units)

Denon DMD-1000 (2 units, black)

Denon DMD-M10 (gold)

Denon DMD-1300 (gold)

JVC XM-448

Kenwood MD-2070 (5 units, silver)

Kenwood MD-1070 (black)

Pioneer Elite MJ-7MD

Teac MD-H300LP

Teac MD-H500

Teac MD-10

Yamaha MDX-595 (2 units)

Tascam MD-350

Tascam MD-CD1

I dare not ask you how many portable units you have...

I was never into portables...

I only have an MZ-S1, an RH-1, an MZ-R700, and a few 420's (or something like that) I think that I got in a lot of 3 or 4 for 10 dollars on eBay.

Now CAR decks are another matter!!! I have enough MDX-C800Rec decks to last my lifetime...also WX-C88Rec double din recorders as well as a WX-800Rec, a gold Panasonic unit with dual VU meters, some NOS Eclipse double din units, a similar Alpine unit...the list goes on and on.

I was never into portables...

I only have an MZ-S1, an RH-1, an MZ-R700, and a few 420's (or something like that) I think that I got in a lot of 3 or 4 for 10 dollars on eBay.

Now CAR decks are another matter!!! I have enough MDX-C800Rec decks to last my lifetime...also WX-C88Rec double din recorders as well as a WX-800Rec, a gold Panasonic unit with dual VU meters, some NOS Eclipse double din units, a similar Alpine unit...the list goes on and on.

You definitely use the source, you are the source, welcome into the hallowed halls of M.D.A. right TC??

I haven't got any decks as yet, but this year, who knows?? I'm trying to get my TEAC reel to reel down here, what a team, R2R = MD

Bob

Kino

you can get as many as you want, brand new, at $1.50 at J&R music or B&H Photo. now.

that is RHW? 50 decks? what 's that about? I just have one and two for backup.

now Woof, why do you like MD so much?

what guys think of my last thought:

There also the idea, tell me if I'm wrong, that Sony, who will be around after we all die, MAY supply new affordable media for all machines they make for next 50 years or so, ie, cassette decks, mini discs, Dat recorders etc, not for profit, but just not to piss off their clients who own hundreds of thousands of these machines.

I told everyone to stockpile a LONG time ago...I've stockpiled about 1000 discs and about 50-60 decks. I advised others to do the same. I was told that I was being too negative.

MD is with ME for life. Too bad more didn't follow my advice.

I get the sense that it's probably pointless to argue with you, but...

"Too bad more didn't follow my advice"?

What you do mean? It's not like there's any great shortage of minidiscs at the moment. Heck, even if I don't even try very hard, I could purchase a pack of MDs every month, and eventually have a thousand (not that I'd ever want to). Same goes for a year from now too. No rush. No impending doom. No sudden end to MDs. Sure, a gradual tapering of media availability, but that will take a long, long time. At the moment there are still hundreds of online stores selling MD stuff, and thousands of blank discs for sale on Ebay in any given month.

...and since the rest of us have waited, it's now even cheaper for us to stockpile than it was two years ago when you stockpiled. Back then Minidisc stuff still was still competitive with MP3 players and more highly priced. Now it's going for peanuts and is a buyer's market.

Heck, you can still buy NEW unopened Digital Compact Cassettes (DCC) on Ebay for dirt cheap. Remember the DCC vs. Minidisc war in the early '90s? Philips hasn't made a DCC deck in over TEN YEARS, yet you can still get the blank media - and they weren't even one tenth as popular as Minidiscs ever were.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?s...o%3D2&fgtp=

I'd say Minidisc was about as popular as the 8-track tape player got in the 1970s. Both formats were around for about 12 years & had a small but steady share of the market. Well guess what? Ebay is FLUSH with new, unopened blank 8-track cassettes for dirt cheap - and they haven't made any of those decks for almost THIRTY years:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?s...op=1%26fsoo%3D1'

But I'm sure there was some guy in 1979 stockpiling all the blank 8-track cassettes he could find (when they were still $5 or more a pop) because he was sure they were going to be impossible to find by the year 2000.

Sorry, I just don't get the "sky is falling" attitude. But it's your money, so have fun with it.

Edited by Ral-Clan

I get the sense that it's probably pointless to argue with you, but...

You are correct in this assumption.

What you do mean? It's not like there's any great shortage of minidiscs at the moment. Heck, even if I don't even try very hard, I could purchase a pack of MDs every month, and eventually have a thousand (not that I'd ever want to). Same goes for a year from now too. No rush. No impending doom. No sudden end to MDs. Sure, a gradual tapering of media availability, but that will take a long, long time. At the moment there are still hundreds of online stores selling MD stuff, and thousands of blank discs for sale on Ebay in any given month.

No sudden end to MD's? I think it is pretty clear that most people were stunned at the relative quick dismissal of the RH1. I even thought it would be on the market for two or three times as long as it did. Regarding MD's at stores...I was literally stunned when seemingly overnight Best Buy, Wal Mart, Radio Shack, and Circuit City all dumped their stock around the same time...definitely a sudden end.

Hundreds of online stores? Um ok. Hundreds.

...and since the rest of us have waited, it's now even cheaper for us to stockpile than it was two years ago when you stockpiled. Back then Minidisc stuff still was still competitive with MP3 players and more highly priced. Now it's going for peanuts and is a buyer's market.

You have no idea what I paid for my md's and equipment. Suffice it to say I'm very frugal and very skilled in getting good deals as well as finding the rarest of the rare.

I'd say Minidisc was about as popular as the 8-track tape player got in the 1970s. Both formats were around for about 12 years & had a small but steady share of the market. Well guess what? Ebay is FLUSH with new, unopened blank 8-track cassettes for dirt cheap - and they haven't made any of those decks for almost THIRTY years:

If you think minidisc was ever ANYWHERE NEAR as popular as 8-tracks in the 1970's, you're delusional and having a worthwhile discussion/argument with you in regard to fact is nearly pointless.

But I'm sure there was some guy in 1979 stockpiling all the blank 8-track cassettes he could find (when they were still $5 or more a pop) because he was sure they were going to be impossible to find by the year 2000.

I've stockpiled some of the rarest of the rare minidiscs and machines...I only buy unique and desirable machines and discs.

Sorry, I just don't get the "sky is falling" attitude. But it's your money, so have fun with it.

Oh, I will. I am quite proud of what I've stockpiled for the pennies on the dollar that I've acquired the discs/machines for. Regarding money, it's not an issue. And, by the way...the sky fell a long time ago.

Wow , never knew that there even was blank 8 track. My understandng was that it was a play only format and recording to tape did not happen until cassettes.

What is RHW? 50 decks? what 's that about? I just have one and two for backup.

Finally, can you guys answer this one for me:

You definitely use the source, you are the source, welcome into the hallowed halls of M.D.A. right TC??

I haven't got any decks as yet, but this year, who knows?? I'm trying to get my TEAC reel to reel down here, what a team, R2R = MD

Bob

My first love is reel to reel...I'm a reel to reel and high end cassette fanatic from way back...here are the decks I currently have:

Reel to reel:

Teac X-700R (several, both silver and black versions)

Teac X-2000R (several both silver and black, including a NOS black unit)

Teac X-1000R (several black and silver variations)

Teac X-300 (several)

Teac X-300R (3 units)

Teac X-3 (several, including both EE and non-EE versions)

Teac X-3R (2 units)

Teac X-7R

Tascam 22-2

Realistic TR-3000 (several)

Akai GX-77 (black)

Akai GX-4000D (several)

Akai GX-4000DB (2 units, including black and silver versions)

Akai 4000DB (several...one of the ONLY decks that does NOT have crosstalk from the other side of the tape)

Akai 4000DB Mk II (NOS)

Akai X-1800SD

Akai 1710 (a few of these)

Akai GX-747dbx (black and silver versions)

Akai GX-747 (silver)

Sony TC-580 (black)

Sony TC-630 (several, plus one NIB NOS untouched)

Sony TC-630D (several, including my father's 1st deck which I used at age 3)

Pioneer RT-909 (a few)

Pioneer RT-707 (several...one of the best reel to reel decks ever, but prone to noise in the input stages and electronic unreliability)

Pioneer RT-701 (2 units)

Sanyo MR 929 (my first deck at age 5)

Tascam 388

Cassette:

JVC TD-V661 (about 20...the best all around cassette deck EVER; the least finicky, most reliable, unbelievably CONSISTENT, plays ANY tape well)

JVC TD-V662 (2)

JVC TD-V66 (several)

JVC TD-V1010 (2, both titanium)

JVC TD-V721 (a few)

JVC-TD-V621

JVC TD-W709 (several dual JVC decks...can't remember all the models)

JVC TD-W718

JVC TD-W354

Denon DN-790R (NOS)

Denon DRM-700

Marantz...some gold thing with DBX, can't remember the model

Teac V-970X

Teac V-8030S (several, including both gold and black models)

Teac V-6030S (2 units, both gold)

Teac Z-6000 (NOS)

Teac Z-5000

Akai GX-95 Mk II

Tascam 122 Mk II (a few)

Pioneer CT-S55R (my first personal "good" cassette deck at age 12)

Pioneer Elite CT-93

Pioneer Elite CT-91

Pioneer Elite CT-43

Pioneer Elite CT-41

Pioneer Elite CT-05D

Pioneer CT-W606R w/Digital NR

Sony TC-KA7ES (gold)

Sony TC-KA5ES (2 units, both gold)

Sony TC-KA3ES (2 units, both black)

Sony TC-KA1ES

Aiwa AD-F810U (3 units, all black)

Aiwa AD-F1000

Onkyo Integra TA-6711

Onkyo Integra TA-207

Onkyo TA-6510

Realistic SCT-25 (the first cassette deck in my family in 1980)

Tascam 688

Wow , never knew that there even was blank 8 track. My understandng was that it was a play only format and recording to tape did not happen until cassettes.

What is RHW? 50 decks? what 's that about? I just have one and two for backup.

Finally, can you guys answer this one for me:

8-track was both a pre-recorded and a recordable format. Cassettes were actually marketed first, but failed initially due to poor quality. The 8-track was predated by the 4-track cartridge...but oddly the manufacturers got behind 8-tracks in the early 70's. It wasn't until cassette gained fidelity in the late 70's that it became a viable alternative that the manufacturers could get behind to push. The last pre-recorded 8-tracks were able to be purchased until about 1989...but home decks/recorders were produced as well as a plethora of blank tapes. But, overall...a horrible overall medium.

I love MD for the simple fact that it is the perfect home recording medium. I hate using a computer for music...and minidisc is the only format which you can get PERFECT studio quality edits. All the benefits...no skipping, no scratching of discs, re-recordable, Scale Factor Edit, having a hard copy of digital music that doesn't self destruct (ala CD'R's)...the list goes on and on. Old school Type-R SP minidisc is perfect for me. I want to hold a PHYSICAL MEDIUM of my recordings...nothing fits the bill like minidisc. True, I love reel to reel and high-end cassette...but for editing perfection and absolute ease of use, minidisc is my choice.

And, I don't think Sony gives a damn about pissing off their clients. They will end MD for good once it isn't economically feasible for them to do so.

Edited by UMWOOFWOOFF

I've stockpiled some of the rarest of the rare minidiscs and machines...I only buy unique and desirable machines and discs.

Oh, I will. I am quite proud of what I've stockpiled for the pennies on the dollar that I've acquired the discs/machines for. Regarding money, it's not an issue. And, by the way...the sky fell a long time ago.

I am under no illusion about the end of Minidisc. Its time is over. You're absolutely correct; the sky HAS fallen. But instead of bemoaning it, let's all play in the puddles and enjoy the great heaps of cheap MD hardware and media everyone else is dumping on the used market ;) !

Enjoy your minidiscs. I'm glad you do. Sure, blank media has disappeared from the high street shops. That's no surprise. But it will be available to purchase online to some extent for a long time.

Either of us could be correct, of course. Based on the evidence seen through investigating other orphaned media formats (reel-to-reel, Beta, DCC, 8-track, etc.) I feel there is a lot to support my theory that we'll be able to buy blanks without too much trouble (online of course) in 10 or even 20 years. But, I guess only time will tell!

Have fun!

Edited by Ral-Clan

No, I have no Tandberg or Nakamichi decks (besides some car units). While I appreciate their reputation, I have no desire to constantly REPAIR decks from manufacturers that are pretty much extinct regarding their former selves. Unobtainium parts searches get old...even with the more "available" brands of the decks I own. But, aside from the glowing Tandberg and Nakamichi performance reviews, I constantly read about those decks being broken or requiring a plethora of costly maintenance. Back around 2001 I purchased a NIB unopened ZX-9 and it didn't work...the thing had never been opened. I've never experienced that from any other manufacturer...it was one of the only times I sent such a deck back. So, for me, you can keep the Nakamichi stuff...I'll stick with the brands and models that are reliable that have proven themselves to me to be GREAT performers. What is surprising is that at times such performers are NOT the decks that are as well-revered; there is a LOT of "gear snob-ery" that goes on. Some decks that are amazingly over-boasted in audio circles actually are quite lackluster (the Sony TC-KA3ES comes to mind...while the 5ES and 7ES are however unbelievable). I've acquired so many decks because I tend to buy a lot of the models that have PROVEN themselves to me...and most times they aren't the fanboy favorites, so they don't go for NEARLY as much money as the common gawkish decks. The most amazingly CONSISTENT performers that have PROVEN reliability and consistency over SEVERAL different decks of the same models? For minidisc, the MDS-JA333ES. For cassette, the JVC TD-V661/662. For reel, the Teac X-3 MK I (the non-reverse non-EE version). While the two analog decks I just listed are not as widely considered the cream of the crop, I can honestly say that these decks have proven themselves over time, with EVERY example that I own performing identically, NEVER breaking, NEVER needing adjustment of calibration, absolute near sonic perfection for ANY tape, and NO noisy input stages (that's what dooms the RT-701/707 from Pioneer from the top spot..they are prone to electrical maladies which exhibit as noise in the input stages and out-of-spec calibration even though they have a midrange fatness that is unequalled). The JVC and Teac have the ability to be calibrated easily to extrude the full potential out of ANY tape...something the more expensive decks simply do not do (a lot of the higher end reel to reel decks eliminated the ability to properly record on older "std" low noise tapes, a type of tape that provides amazing analog fatness coloration IF you have a deck that can be set-up to record properly on these older tapes). The JVC TD-V661/662 cassette deck is the LEAST finicky of ANY deck I've ever owned...some decks don't like tapes made on other machines. This deck simply plays ANY tape to full potential made on ANY properly set-up machine properly. The high end Sony and Teac decks, even when adjusted to spec, are picky when playing tapes made on some other machines. I can't recall all the hours I've spent ripping my hair out adjusting some of those decks...set up properly to spec, but playing SOME tapes horribly while playing others perfectly, even though the alignment was spot on both on the recording source deck AND the deck I was experiencing the faulty playback on. The V-8030S and the 5ES are notorious for this. The JVC NEVER does that...once set to spec, it will play back ANY tape recorded on another deck that was set-up to spec properly. The JVC calibrates and records well even on the most garbage of tapes...unlike some other decks, its calibration procedure is ACTUALLY ACCURATE. The Sony and Teac decks need to be set by EAR...if you set them up via the proper calibration set-up in the manual, they will perform HORRIBLY. I like competency and reliability. Virtues like that are what makes me decide what is TRULY a spectacular performer...consistency, lack of HEADACHES, and RELIABILITY. And that, is why, I don't own any Nakamichi or Tandberg home units any more.

Edited by UMWOOFWOOFF

No, I have no Tandberg or Nakamichi decks (besides some car units). While I appreciate their reputation, I have no desire to constantly REPAIR decks from manufacturers that are pretty much extinct regarding their former selves.

Nakamichi or Tandberg home units any more.

Wow , a mouthful but ,... I wasnt refering to home units , The Tanberg I worked with was studio gear , As was the Otari , Bang and Olufson , along with a Sony MP3056 mixing board , ADAT , .... oh well not goona go thru the list , just to friggin long to type .

Nice collection , I agree with the Teac X3 , but my partiality lies with the 38 as for as Teac/Tascam goes , for RR mastering , the Otari wins but the Tandberg had a Huge Fat sound , and that had its puposes .

, and also about the Sony KA3 s , never was any good ( and I like sony stuff ) the 222 wasnt bad though for a home deck .

Bob T dont feed his ego ..... you know not to feed the bears at the zoo , they bite .

Wow , a mouthful but ,... I wasnt refering to home units , The Tanberg I worked with was studio gear , As was the Otari , Bang and Olufson , along with a Sony MP3056 mixing board , ADAT , .... oh well not goona go thru the list , just to friggin long to type .

Nice collection , I agree with the Teac X3 , but my partiality lies with the 38 as for as Teac/Tascam goes , for RR mastering , the Otari wins but the Tandberg had a Huge Fat sound , and that had its puposes .

, and also about the Sony KA3 s , never was any good ( and I like sony stuff ) the 222 wasnt bad though for a home deck .

Bob T dont feed his ego ..... you know not to feed the bears at the zoo , they bite .

I love meeting others who use both minidisc and analog decks. I like the marriage of the two...I frequently use the analog decks for their color and when my ultimate mix is done, run through various equipment for fun, ultimately what I usually use to actually listen to the mix is minidisc.

I haven't had a Tascam 38 but have heard good things about them...the 22-2 I have performs remarkably for what it is. Strange what Teac could accomplish with such a basic deck.

What's this about feeding my ego????? I don't get it. I don't bite lol...and even though I owned Kiss' "Animalize" in the 80's (I know, I know) I haven't been to a zoo in years! :bomb_phone:

:)

Jeff