Adding Track marks to an existing recording

Rate this topic

mercurius

Hi,

Is there any way to add track marks to an existing recording?

I have an MZ-RH910 and recorded a concert of choral music from the radio and would now like to add track marks because I didn't make them manually at the time of recording and didn't set the automatic track device. Is there any way to do it now? It's irritating to have to go through the whole concert everytime I just want to listen to specific parts.

Thanks,

Yes, it is possible. It was possible from the very beginning of minidisc. The details of adding trackmarks are described in the unit's Operating Instructions. In the English instructions for the RH910 see page 53, section "Dividing a track (Divide)". If you want to fast forward to a specific point faster, put the unit in the PAUSE mode. And remember that some practice is required to put track marks exactly where you want them. But you can always delete a misplaced track mark.

Also, after adding/deleting all required track marks, put the unit on a stable surface, press the STOP button and wait for the unit to finish writing system files.

Edited by Avrin

Remove Copy Protection from the imported files using SonicStage File Convertion Tool. It is always a good idea to do that, since the files will be playable by any computer after that. Then use the Divide... item from the Edit menu in SonicStage. It also takes some practice. Then you may rename the resulting tracks as needed and download them back into the unit.

You can go ahead and edit on the unit. I have an rh910, and with Sonic Stage 4.0 I've had no trouble re-importing tracks. I think that was a limitation with the 1st generation Hi-Md-era software. If you're unsure, import, rename the disc during your editing, and try again. That way you're backed-up.

BTW, you set track marks on the 910 by pressing the rec/t mark button on the upper right corner of the unit. You can do it while playing or paused.

Be VERY careful.

If you imported the tracks with a version of SonicStage before 3.4--even if you now have 3.4--the tracks are marked as imported and may well be deleted if you try to import them again. Don't try to import them again if you were using an older SonicStage.

This was one of Sony's stupidest and most evil moves, but they have not revoked its effects in later versions of SonicStage.

Sorry but I was under the impression that once inside Sonicstage, anything transferred back to the minidisc player would then be unable to have track marks added? It was only if you had an original recording that was first made on the minidisc itself that you would have the option to add any track marks - but once this was copied over to the computer then further editing back on the minidisc recorder was forbidden. Or is there absolutely no restrictions at all when placing track marks on a disc?

Edited by kino170878

Wizard of Oz,

Thanks. I've downloaded Audacity, but have never used it before. Can you recommend a simple explanation to doing what I need to do to export the files from SonicStage as a .wav file and then adding the track marks in Audacity and then (preumably) re-importing into SonicStage? I'm a complete klutz at these technical issues!

Thanks,

You can't add track marks to tracks downloaded from the computer on the unit. But you can divide tracks tracks in SonicStage before downloading.

What you are saying is that at any point in time, Sonicstage on the PC is able to add track marks? Whereas on the unit itself you have one chance and one chance only (i.e. after a live recording) to add track marks? Is that correct?

Edited by kino170878

The only way you can edit recordings that have been transferred from PC, is if they are transferred using Simpleburner in NetMD format. In other words, you will need to create a CD or CD Image using the tracks you want to be able to edit on the unit. Then download Simpleburner and transfer the CD or Image in NetMD mode.

The main catch here is that you have to use standard MDs, and the highest quality will be LP2.

. Can you recommend a simple explanation to doing what I need to do to export the files from SonicStage as a .wav file and then adding the track marks in Audacity and then (preumably) re-importing into SonicStage?

First, you need a recent SonicStage, 3.4 or above.

Under Tools in SonicStage is Save as .wav. Highlight the tracks you want to edit and do that. .Wav files are big, about 10MB per minute, so you will need a lot of hard drive space. It's an annoyingly slow process, but once the tracks are in .wav they are completely unencumbered.

Then open the track in Audacity. The easiest thing to do is to highlight each chunk of the track (Hold down the Shift key) and then Export selection as .wav.

The ultimate advice of this thread (going with Audacity for cutting up files) would carry over to macs too right? I have some earlier, much longer recordings of events that I imported from my MZ-RH1 onto my Mac that are just sitting there. I've been wanting to trim them down to just what I need.

Also, kind of a similar question - what about merging files? whenever I record something with my Minidisc, I have it set to automatically mark the track and start a new track after a certain amount of minutes. I'm wondering if that's smart.

I'm sure this can be done in Audacity, but is the merge perfect (as in, you would have never known they were separate tracks?)

I'm on a PC, but the easiest way to do a perfect merge is to Combine tracks in SonicStage. Does the Mac software have a similar function?

Otherwise you'll just have to try Audacity or another editing program and see what you get. I don't remember hearing clicks when I have appended tracks, but I don't do it very often.

Here's another free editor that works on Mac. Haven't tried it.

http://traverso-daw.org/download.html

I'm on a PC, but the easiest way to do a perfect merge is to Combine tracks in SonicStage. Does the Mac software have a similar function?

Otherwise you'll just have to try Audacity or another editing program and see what you get. I don't remember hearing clicks when I have appended tracks, but I don't do it very often.

Thanks for the feedback A440. I'll probably try it outon Audacity until I hear of something better and/or easier.

440 thx for that link , I will give that a try , I am downloading it now .

Update , I tired it , and Got rid of it , no thanks , I will stick with Audacity. Traverso's control interface is horrible

Edited by Guitarfxr