Sony MDS-JE330

Rate this topic

qwerty_1970

Hello, I'm new to this forum. Seems like a cool place.

Jump to the bottom to skip the semi-pointless blurb :P

Im in a band and we are trying to figure out good ways of recording. Now the original idea was to use a laptop and audacity or something like that to record but sadly my laptop isnt up to the job spec wise. Tis a very old, but still a legend, Toshiba.

Anyway,

I was staring at the ceiling for no apparent reason when my eyes stumbeld across my brothers old Sony MDS-JE330 on top of a cabinet. It had been sitting there for years.

I was thinking we could use our PA's analogue outputs and stick it into the Sony and record with all the levels and what not controlled by the PA. That part is grand, but I am unsure as to what Minidisc's to actually use there are none in the house and I need to buy some but Ive never recorded of had any experience with a MD player/recorder so Im curious as to if a 74 min or 80 min (or whatever they may be) disc is preferred or needed.

To cut a long story short, what type if minidisc's do I need for the Sony MDS-JE330?

Also, any tips on how to use the machine? I was able to track down its manual but I need something comprehensible lol

Thanks and best regards,

Rob

Edited by qwerty_1970

Hello, I'm new to this forum. Seems like a cool place.

Jump to the bottom to skip the semi-pointless blurb :P

Im in a band and we are trying to figure out good ways of recording. Now the original idea was to use a laptop and audacity or something like that to record but sadly my laptop isnt up to the job spec wise. Tis a very old, but still a legend, Toshiba.

Anyway,

I was staring at the ceiling for no apparent reason when my eyes stumbeld across my brothers old Sony MDS-JE330 on top of a cabinet. It had been sitting there for years.

I was thinking we could use our PA's analogue outputs and stick it into the Sony and record with all the levels and what not controlled by the PA. That part is grand, but I am unsure as to what Minidisc's to actually use there are none in the house and I need to buy some but Ive never recorded of had any experience with a MD player/recorder so Im curious as to if a 74 min or 80 min (or whatever they may be) disc is preferred or needed.

To cut a long story short, what type if minidisc's do I need for the Sony MDS-JE330?

Also, any tips on how to use the machine? I was able to track down its manual but I need something comprehensible lol

Thanks and best regards,

Rob

http://minidisc.org/part_Sony_MDS-JE330+M100+S40+41.html

That's the link from the equipment browser in minidisc.org, shows it's an entry level deck. The 80 minute discs should work quite well, but you will only get 80 minutes onto them, and you will have to record realtime into your sound card to put them in your puter. A good way to start, but if you want more, an NH-800 would be a good start as you could digitally upload. RH1 or M200 is your real answer, but experiment a bit with the 330 as you already have it

Welcome, and have fun

Bob

http://minidisc.org/part_Sony_MDS-JE330+M100+S40+41.html

That's the link from the equipment browser in minidisc.org, shows it's an entry level deck. The 80 minute discs should work quite well, but you will only get 80 minutes onto them, and you will have to record realtime into your sound card to put them in your puter. A good way to start, but if you want more, an NH-800 would be a good start as you could digitally upload. RH1 or M200 is your real answer, but experiment a bit with the 330 as you already have it

Welcome, and have fun

Bob

Thanks for that. I shall keep that in mind.

I was browsing eBay and I came across these 3

SONY NEIGE MINI DISCS PACK OF 10

SONY PREMIUM MINI DISCS - PACK OF 5

5 Recordable Sony Blank Minidiscs:Mini Discs: Colour 80

All 3 are around 10 euro. The colourful seemingly gimmic of the last link appeals to me :P, but is there any really difference in them? I would go for the pack of 10 but would the second link and indeed the 3rd be a better choice in terms of sound or is it more the actual MD player/recorder you own that decides that?

btw. Im presuming all MD's are re-writable. Im I correct?

btw 2. I am a total novice as is apparent here lol

Thanks

Rob

Edited by qwerty_1970

Thanks very much!

Ttyl

NOTE: if your P.A. system only outputs a MONO signal then there's no point in recording in stereo mode on the Minidisc deck. Set the MD deck to MONO record mode and you will get twice the recording time on a single disc (160 minutes for an 80 minute disc).

Many simple P.A. systems for bars have what appears to be a LEFT and RIGHT output for an external tape/minidisc recorder but the actual signal is mono (the same on the left and right jacks). A good way to tell for sure: if the mixing board has PAN controls on each channel, then it probably has stereo output on the REC-OUT jacks (just play with the PAN knob on a single channel while recording and see if the sound of that instrument fades from left to right in your recorder's headphones).

PS: even if you have a stereo board, you might want to record in MONO mode anyway to get the extra time (if it's just for reference and going to be erased later).

Edited by Ral-Clan

Howdy,

On my PA I have a choice of stereo and mono outputs. The thought had crossed my mind. I will probably go down the mono route since I don't see me panning anything.

For the more advanced things like that Im gonna record to a laptop if I can get one soon. Im gonna use the minidisc for, maybe not rough, but basic but decent recordings.

Thanks for the tip!!

Howdy,

On my PA I have a choice of stereo and mono outputs. The thought had crossed my mind. I will probably go down the mono route since I don't see me panning anything.

For the more advanced things like that Im gonna record to a laptop if I can get one soon. Im gonna use the minidisc for, maybe not rough, but basic but decent recordings.

Thanks for the tip!!

Honestly, when you are in a small bar situation, playing in a rock band, panning doesn't make much sense anyway. Everything's too loud and crowded in there to really get any stereo definition. So mono recording would probably be the best route.

• 3 weeks later...