Battery explosion!

Rate this topic

djtodd

My poor MZ-RH10. The battery that came with it back in 2005 finally gave up the ghost, and I ordered a new Sony 14WM replacement. The damn battery has exploded, bulging the entire casing and making the battery un-removable. Emailed the retailer and Sony to see about warranty repairs. I know it's long out of warranty, but I'm hoping that the exploding sony part kinda nullifies that.

Anyone else had similar experiences?

My poor MZ-RH10. The battery that came with it back in 2005 finally gave up the ghost, and I ordered a new Sony 14WM replacement. The damn battery has exploded, bulging the entire casing and making the battery un-removable. Emailed the retailer and Sony to see about warranty repairs. I know it's long out of warranty, but I'm hoping that the exploding sony part kinda nullifies that.

Anyone else had similar experiences?

Chinese fake battery , it isnt a Sony , just packaged to look like one.

You will have to take the case apart to get it out .

And the only off brand I would suggest are GP batteries .

Possible, but unlikely. Bought it from minidisc-canada.com not some random store.

Gauranteed , there are many fakes out there , they are packaged to look exactly like the Sony , the retailers do not check that close , the packaging is identical

only when you take the battery apart under the label , the chinese components become known

I live in asia , and counterfieting here is outrageous , you wouldnt believe it unless I took you down the back alleys and showed you .

there are several articles here on the forums about this very subject.

The Real Sony's dont blow up, they just dont . they leak sometimes , corrode , but they dont blow

Gauranteed , there are many fakes out there , they are packaged to look exactly like the Sony , the retailers do not check that close , the packaging is identical

only when you take the battery apart under the label , the chinese components become known

I live in asia , and counterfieting here is outrageous , you wouldnt believe it unless I took you down the back alleys and showed you .

there are several articles here on the forums about this very subject.

The Real Sony's dont blow up, they just dont . they leak sometimes , corrode , but they dont blow

Yeah, it expanded like a mofo. I maybe shoulda guessed as it didn't look *exactly* like the one it replaced. Luckily I have the tools here at work and service manuals online so I was able to get it out without messing anything up.

Here's a couple of terrible cameraphone pix:

battery1.jpg

battery2.jpg

Note the nice oblong shape.

Edited by djtodd

This definitely sounds like a fake. I had some bad experience with a fake chinese NH-14WM in 2006, purchased in a completely serious store (turned out they hadn't known of it being a fake, and they disposed of all the remaining ones after I told them it's a fake). It didn't hold the juice properly, so I disposed of it the day after I bought it, since I'd already read the horror stories here. It didn't look exactly like the one on the photos (it was grey). But the signs of it being a fake were as follows:

1. MADE IN JAPAN. The original NH-14WM, which came with my RH10, was made in China. Although the NH-10WM, which later came with my RH910, IS made in Japan.

2. The supplied plastic battery carrying case is slightly bigger than the one of the original battery.

3. It was an NH-14WM, but on the lower side it said that you should use a charger for the NH-10WM to charge it.

Hope your unit is OK!

Edited by Avrin

This definitely sounds like a fake. I had some bad experience with a fake chinese NH-14WM in 2006, purchased in a completely serious store (turned out they hadn't known of it being a fake, and they disposed of all the remaining ones after I told them it's a fake). It didn't hold the juice properly, so I disposed of it the day after I bought it, since I'd already read the horror stories here. It didn't look exactly like the one on the photos (it was grey). But the signs of it being a fake were as follows:

1. MADE IN JAPAN. The original NH-14WM, which came with my RH10, was made in China. Although the NH-10WM, which later came with my RH910, IS made in Japan.

2. The supplied plastic battery carrying case is slightly bigger than the one of the original battery.

3. It was an NH-14WM, but on the lower side it said that you should use a charger for the NH-10WM to charge it.

Hope your unit is OK!

Yeah, the unit is fine thankfully. There's no circuit board above or below the battery, so since it didn't leak and there was no board to flex, everything turned out OK. I'm sending the duff battery back for a refund, and I ordered a GP gumstick online. I'm going under the assumption that the entire stock of 14's this place has are fakes, so I'm not exchanging it.

You learn something new every day. Like for one, sony stores and sonystyle (in Canada) don't carry gumstick batteries!

Better get a GP gumstick charger complete with two supplied gumsticks. Some users here have reported unbelievable RH10 operating times using these batteries charged by the charger, even when recording in LPCM. The cause of this is that the unit itself is afraid to charge even its own battery completely. Presumably it charges to about 900 mAh only.

Edited by Avrin

I went down that same road with Minidisc Canada, when the NH-14WM they sent me blew up inside my MT877. I was able to remove it with no ill effects to my unit and sent it back for replacment, now everything seems fine with the new one. Besides GP, another gumstick to consider is Vapex. I bought 2 from this eBay seller a year ago and have been pleasantly surprised. $6 a piece and I can get over 4 hours straight recording time in PCM mode on my RH910.