MD deck compatible with MZ-RH910

Rate this topic

mercurius

I have the MZ-RH910 HIMD minidisc recorder and I'm just wondering whether it is possible to find a minidisc deck that would allow me to play recordings (MP3s, etc) and also record on to it via my (aging) midi system (a Kenwood with the code RX28).

What are the options - or am I deluding myself that there is a way of doing it without spending a fortune?

I have seen various Sony decks on eBay, but not sure whether they take HIMD.

Would much appreciate the advice of you technical experts.

Thanks,

mercurius

There arent any Sony HiMD decks , only Onkyo has decks at the moment . I have heard them and they are pretty good !

Who knows what will happan though , it was just announced that BlueRay has won , Toshiba is ceasing production of HDDVD

so maybe the impetus for Sony to do something cool again might pop up .

Only Onkyo makes Hi-MD decks, you will have to import them from Japan which is quite expensive. Sony do not (and they never will) make any Hi-MD decks, only normal MD decks (which are still being made even today). Your Hi-MD discs will not play on Sony decks, only regular MD discs are playable. If you still want a Sony deck, you have to use SP, LP2 or LP4 mode. SP though is fine for recording real-time from your midi system. For transferring already existing MP3 tracks however I would seriously look into another format rather than minidisc.

My MD-105FX gets used every single day. Playing, recording from the radio, CD, tape, vinyl, you name it, it gets abused. And using comfortable knobs and a remote is bliss.
I asked this question a couple of years ago when the Onkyo units came out and the answer then was "No", but can I check one thing with you?

Is there any way you can set the unit to record from a timer? I use this feature on my old Sony deck to record radio plays etc when I'm out at work, and although I'd like to get an Onkyo deck, I think it might be a waste of money if it can't do this.

to play mp3s on onkyo's himd decks you'll have to convert them to atrac3+ (or PCM!) first.

If you absolutely need to play native mp3s, MZ-RH1 has true line out to be connected to an hifi amplifier and will play mp3s very fine.

to play mp3s on onkyo's himd decks you'll have to convert them to atrac3+ (or PCM!) first.

If you absolutely need to play native mp3s, MZ-RH1 has true line out to be connected to an hifi amplifier and will play mp3s very fine.

but you won't notice a difference on transcoded MP3's. Truest fidelity will be in direct recordings, but let your ears be your guide

Bob

Just one final question on this and going back to my original question:

I have the MZ-RH910 HIMD minidisc recorder and I'm just wondering whether it is possible to find a minidisc deck that would allow me to play recordings (MP3s, etc) and also record on to it via my (aging) midi system (a Kenwood with the code RX28).

Is it possible to play my MZ-RH910 back through my aging Kenwood RX28. I can't find a line out from the minidisc player, but the Kenwood has an AUX line in.

I think I know what the answer is but I thought it might be worth asking anyway.

Thanks for your advice,

mercurius

Just one final question on this and going back to my original question:

Is it possible to play my MZ-RH910 back through my aging Kenwood RX28. I can't find a line out from the minidisc player, but the Kenwood has an AUX line in.

I think I know what the answer is but I thought it might be worth asking anyway.

Thanks for your advice,

mercurius

You can use the headphone as your line out, some units allow a menu change to use the headphone, if not adjust the volume up to a comfortable level.

Have fun

Bob