A Moment with the Tascam DR-1

Rate this topic

Strungup

Anyone who owns the DR1 , ......... do NOT do the Update from 1.02 to 1.10 , I REPEAT , DO NOT UPDATE , you will ruin the sound of your machine

The entire gain structure of my DR1 is ruined , The MIC1 input SUX , the internal MIC gain SUX ,

The noise levels rose by at least 20 db

I compared directly with previous recordings , And it is a HUGE difference , I will be calling Tascam tomorrow,

DO NOT UPDATE !!!!!!!!

Don't you hate it when that happens, strange there is no roll back feature for the downgrade, can't really call it an upgrade from what you said. Sounds like TASCAM has a bit of explaining to do!

Good luck,

Bob

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's probably worth adding as another plus for the Tascam -- they seem to be updating the firmware with useful features, whereas the Zoom has added ... what, faster WAV->MP3 conversion in the software?

Oops -- I started writing this before Guitarfxr's verdict on the 1.10 update. Scratch that.

Guitarfxr, thanks a lot for your response. I like the solar panel idea -- if I get a DR1, I'll have to try that. When you said you used a 6v or 9v panel, you were still regulating it down to 5v before sending it to the Tascam, right?

Good to know about 1/4" mics, I didn't know they were common. My ribbon mic doesn't need phantom power, but it's very, very low output -- I need two of (admittedly cheap) preamps chained together to get a useful signal out of it. I wonder if a XLR->1/4" adapter would work for a SM57.

Electric plugged in doesn't sound like much, it's true; it's useful for recording a dry signal for using software amp modelling later. But since the DR1 doesn't act as a USB mic, I wouldn't be able to monitor the modeled signal, so I suppose there's no real reason to run the electric direct.

Thanks again for the responses.

Edited by ninethirty

It is a real shame about this update because I was liking the sound I was getting , here is an overdub sample AFTER the update , and if you listen with Hdphones you might hear the noise , and the change in the mic sounds ,

The headphone output of the DR1 is MUCH noisier than this sample , the actual file once it is on the Computer doesn't sound as bad , but on the DR1 itself , it just isn't the way it was .

BobT , this ones for you

post-45178-125549501832_thumb.jpg

and after Audacity , to give it that " 70's Feel"

post-45178-125549502768_thumb.jpg

Levelar , normalizer , AU Matrix reverb, EQ, AU Peak Limiter

Edited by Guitarfxr

about the Solar Panels , no I didnt go thru a Regulator , just straight from the panel .... It was very cool.

I went outside and did a test of just outside noise , and you can really hear the low level process noise , use headphones turn it up loud , and you will hear it .

Very unhappy with this update , Tascam I hope your listening.

post-45178-125549503898_thumb.jpg

if you listen closely you will hear how my voice is distorted , Certain sounds now get fairly distorted , and I was NOT peaking or even very high on the meters

Edited by Guitarfxr

It is a real shame about this update because I was liking the sound I was getting , here is an overdub sample AFTER the update , and if you listen with Hdphones you might hear the noise , and the change in the mic sounds ,

The headphone output of the DR1 is MUCH noisier than this sample , the actual file once it is on the Computer doesn't sound as bad , but on the DR1 itself , it just isn't the way it was .

BobT , this ones for you

post-45178-125549501832_thumb.jpg

and after Audacity , to give it that " 70's Feel"

post-45178-125549502768_thumb.jpg

Levelar , normalizer , AU Matrix reverb, EQ, AU Peak Limiter

Thanx man, sounds good, the second version sounds like you put it through a 3BX, a little punchier.

Take care,

Bob

Ok I emailed and got no response , US or Europe , I dont read Japanese so I cant do the Japan branch , here is the second email I sent about ten minutes ago .

This REALLY pisses me off , chunk of money on the table , lousy customer service ,......... AGHHHHHHHHH dont get me started .

here

"I have emailed you and no answer ,I want you to know , I was the first consumer on the Planet to get the DR1

I have a Thread on the MDCF forums about the DR1 that has over 10,000 views so far .

here is the link

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?s=&am...st&p=131961

This last update has really messed up my DR1 ,........ Now I expect a response from you guys , I was good enough to promote the DR1 , in the first instance , even with the failings it had , Version 1.02 improved the sound and sensitivity of the mics , but 1.10 has introduced low level process noise , and the Mics sensitivity has changed , as well as the headphones have become VERY noisy ( I am using Sennheisers by the way)

I am supposed to be recording with this thing on April 12th in a gig for an Irish group , now that is ruined , I will NOT be able to use it , so WhY did I buy it ?????????? and the lack of response from you is just adding to this , I will copy and paste this email at the forums for everyone to read , and the fact that you dont respond . "

Ok I emailed and got no response , US or Europe , I dont read Japanese so I cant do the Japan branch , here is the second email I sent about ten minutes ago .

This REALLY pisses me off , chunk of money on the table , lousy customer service ,......... AGHHHHHHHHH dont get me started .

here

"I have emailed you and no answer ,I want you to know , I was the first consumer on the Planet to get the DR1

I have a Thread on the MDCF forums about the DR1 that has over 10,000 views so far .

here is the link

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?s=&am...st&p=131961

This last update has really messed up my DR1 ,........ Now I expect a response from you guys , I was good enough to promote the DR1 , in the first instance , even with the failings it had , Version 1.02 improved the sound and sensitivity of the mics , but 1.10 has introduced low level process noise , and the Mics sensitivity has changed , as well as the headphones have become VERY noisy ( I am using Sennheisers by the way)

I am supposed to be recording with this thing on April 12th in a gig for an Irish group , now that is ruined , I will NOT be able to use it , so WhY did I buy it ?????????? and the lack of response from you is just adding to this , I will copy and paste this email at the forums for everyone to read , and the fact that you dont respond . "

Guitarfxr,

I had jumped in and installed the 1.10 update before reading your posts. I hadn't used the recorder after installing the update, but thought I should try things out after reading about your experience.

New recordings sure sounded noisier, but old recordings sounded fine (both playing back on the DR-1). I started looking thru all the menus to make sure things were set up like I had them before updating and found the VSA function turned back on. I also noticed that the Monitor function was on all the time even though the menu clearly showed it as off. So I figured what the heck I'll turn it on. Sure enough it stayed on, but when I turned it back off the monitor function turned off. A similar thing happened with the gain settings (hi, med, lo). Bottom line, on my unit it appears the values the unit was using after updating the firmware were different than what the menus were indicating, but changing the values in the menus then setting them back seemed to "re-synchronize" the units operating parameters with the menus.

Maybe this was just my unit, or maybe I'm full of poop, but you might look into it and see what you come up with.

By the way, thanks for the review and all the posts. This is the most active and complete forum I've found for the DR-1 to date.

Cheers,

FretBuzz

Thanx for that info , I will include it in my conversations with Tascam , they finally contacted me , and there is a rep in Japan that just emailed me 1 hour ago , so if it is ok I will include those statements , it will help with the next update I am sure.

Edited by Guitarfxr

i'm new to this and have not bought it yet but have a question. can you record a multitrack on it? I'm looking at a Boss Micro (http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=818) but it seems a bit too complicated to do quick and easy multitrack recordings, which is what I'm looking for. Thanks!

i'm new to this and have not bought it yet but have a question. can you record a multitrack on it? I'm looking at a Boss Micro (http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=818) but it seems a bit too complicated to do quick and easy multitrack recordings, which is what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Phew thanks for the tip with the 1.1 update. There was no feature that was relevant for me so I didn't bother hurry too much for the update ... lucky me :pleasantry:

Sure they will fix it quickly though or offer advise on how to roll back soon.

Sam , it does what are called "Over Dub " not exactly MultiTrack , with a true Multi tracker you get Panning ( L/R ) for each channel , also true level controls . here is an example from the DR1

Overdubbing , means just recording on top of what is already recoded , no panning left or right , or other tricks , just simply using the effects that are built in and recording a new take on top of the old one . That is what the DR1 is able to do .

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?act=a...ost&id=2840

try downloading Audacity , and record a few tracks on your computer , then Pan left and Right on the tracks and listen to the difference , Learning how to use a multitrack is really worth the effort , if you learn how to properly multitrack , you have a much greater understanding , of what equipment is capable of what project afterwards.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/

First off, thank you so much for a WONDERFUL informational thread. I am a musician and just bought one of these for a variety of live audio recording purposes.

One question. The one feature I can't find is a RANDOM play mode. Is there one that I'm missing, or is there plans for one in a firmware upgrade??

I'd like to use DR-1 to replace my MP3 player for a bunch of applications, and with a 16GB card, the only thing I am missing is that RANDOM play mode. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks much.

Anyone knows how much are additional batteries for the DR-1? And where can I download the firmware update? Is there a way I can get only the 1.02 firmware without going to the 1.10?

Go to Tascams Europe site then klik the Germany section look to the top left you will see three flags , one British ( which means english) then the page will change to english from there klik the products , DR1 , Downloads , you will see the 1.02 software and update guide in PDF form .

Edited by Guitarfxr

Well all said and done , he Mic input of the RH1 , and R50 still rule , with or without the limiter .....................

The Tascam will get used , but not as it could be , it will be relegated to Idea captures , and line input recording , The Line in is clean , very clean , and multiple bit rates , allow for flexibility . For higher volume situations I can use the Tascam , but for field recording or delicate audio the RH1 -AT822 combo is what will get pulled out of the bag.

Tascam is telling me " We cannot duplicate the noise " I translate that as , " You just cant hear "

As an audio engineer with over 27 years experience in audio , and music , I know how to hear very well . I made my living at it . ( among other things)

hopefully the input I will give Tascam , in Japan , will lead to something in the next update , my plans are to submit samples of the RH1 / AT822 combo and related info , along with equal and comparable settings on the Tascam , with full documentation .

I have emails from one cooperative person from Japan branch going now , so if you have something to say , for me to Copy /Paste in a message post them below .

I will only include legitimate issues , and not off the wall , unrelated issues ( Additional functions or wish list , is not related to this issue )

if version 1.10 has given you an issue as well , be concise and clear , My new freind at Tascam is not "Great " at english but gives it his best , and seems like a cool guy .

so There it is Guys ,......... MD still wins .

First off, thank you so much for a WONDERFUL informational thread. I am a musician and just bought one of these for a variety of live audio recording purposes.

One question. The one feature I can't find is a RANDOM play mode. Is there one that I'm missing, or is there plans for one in a firmware upgrade??

I'd like to use DR-1 to replace my MP3 player for a bunch of applications, and with a 16GB card, the only thing I am missing is that RANDOM play mode. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks much.

Well , you have a Playlist , function , take a bunch of mp3' s put them in the music folder of the Tascam , then After you disconnect from the Computer , Klik the Menu button , and select browse , you will see all your files , scroll to a file push the play button , and a window opens with choices , ADD , will add them to a Playlist which you can then order , add as many as you like , then Menu again , scroll to playlists , and there will be the files you chose .

Has anyone used a low impedence dynamic mic (SM57) into the Mic 2 input WITHOUT a transformer (just plugging it into a female XLR to 1/4" cable) ? I would like to use the DR-1 to record interviews without an outboard mic pre.

I have a PRIMO brand mic (Japanese company) that I use with a XLR->1/4 inch , and for close micing it is quite good . In fact on the first two pages of this thread , you can read my statements about the Mic2 input .

Here is the link to a website that has sound samples of nearly all popular solid state based recorders, including the Sony D1, Sony D50, and the new comers, such as Tascam DR1 and Olympus LS-10. The website owner or tester gave both the Olympus LS-10 and Tascam DR1 a 4-star ("very good"). But to my ears, the Olympus sounded terrible, especially on the sample of cello (distorted, cold). The Tascam sounded almost as good as the Sonys, but the Tascam just cannot achieve the level that the Sonys control the noise ...

http://www.wingfieldaudio.com/portable-rec...nd-samples.html

I agree , that is a fairly accurate statement Wei , but the Tascam there sounds better than mine( and on the speech sample you REALLY hear some noise) ,after the update mine just hasnt been right , I have re initialised it three times and it got a little better , but just not as clean as it was. The Sony , well, it just is , what can you say . You get what you pay for.

You can really hear the High frequency cutoff in the Zoom H2 , also the AT-822 being used on the Korg , I was surprised at the Edirol R-09 , the updated version sound pretty good . almost on par with the D50 .

The Speech samples really let you hear the noise levels , whereas the Winds(Flute Ensemble) and Cello samples let you hear the beef , and the Olympus sounded soooo thin , nothing there.

the cello sample of the Korg and the AT822 is the most natural sounding , and the D1 is the Cleanest , D50 is also clean but just a tad to "Live" on the Cello , the AT822 show its warmth and Natural presence ( even though there is a minute amount of noise) I was listening thru my Yamaha RH-M5a cans on the Mac

Edited by Guitarfxr

Thank you very much for this great thread!

My DR-1 arrived yesterday, and I was disappointed by the noise levels. I was worried that it had already been updated in the factory to 1.10, but I checked and it's still at 1.01. I'll upgrade to 1.02 and report back B"N.

I'll be using the machine to record lectures (perhaps with a lappell mic) and for outdoor/indoor musical recordings (busking). Can you recommend any accessories? A clip-on type holder would be great for the outdoors.

Thanks!

Benny.

Thank you very much for this great thread!

My DR-1 arrived yesterday, and I was disappointed by the noise levels. I was worried that it had already been updated in the factory to 1.10, but I checked and it's still at 1.01. I'll upgrade to 1.02 and report back B"N.

I'll be using the machine to record lectures (perhaps with a lappell mic) and for outdoor/indoor musical recordings (busking). Can you recommend any accessories? A clip-on type holder would be great for the outdoors.

Thanks!

Benny.

Version 1.02 will make it sound a lot better , stay away from 1.10 untill another few updates have been made. I have emailed sound samples to Tascam this morning of distortion noise and other anomalies .

I received the DR-1 yesterday, and have been playing around with it. It has firmware 1.02 already installed on it, and since it's the only recorder I've owned in the past 8 years I have nothing else to compare it to. I owned a Sony Minidisc recorder, but I never really used it as a field recorder.

I did play around with a demo unit of Edirol's R-09 at a Roland booth during a music conference, and the Tascam is definitely built much better than the Edirol. Would have liked it more if it is built out of aluminum instead of plastic. The unit's built slightly bigger than I imagined, and it would've been great if Tascam managed to shave 1/2 inch from each side of the unit.

I immediately switched out the 1gb SD card and replaced it with a 2gb card I owned, and it gave me slightly over 90 minutes of recording time with a 128mb file limit in 192kbs mp3 format (which is plenty!). I find the internal mics sensitive enough to pick up sounds from across a 20 feet room at mid gain.

I also ordered a Sony ECM-DS70P microphone with a 1.5m long cable to use with the unit. The main purpose of the unit is for recording interviews, speeches and collecting sound-bytes for multimedia projects. So far I'm very happy with it.

I received the DR-1 yesterday, and have been playing around with it. It has firmware 1.02 already installed on it, and since it's the only recorder I've owned in the past 8 years I have nothing else to compare it to. I owned a Sony Minidisc recorder, but I never really used it as a field recorder.

I did play around with a demo unit of Edirol's R-09 at a Roland booth during a music conference, and the Tascam is definitely built much better than the Edirol. Would have liked it more if it is built out of aluminum instead of plastic. The unit's built slightly bigger than I imagined, and it would've been great if Tascam managed to shave 1/2 inch from each side of the unit.

I immediately switched out the 1gb SD card and replaced it with a 2gb card I owned, and it gave me slightly over 90 minutes of recording time with a 128mb file limit in 192kbs mp3 format (which is plenty!). I find the internal mics sensitive enough to pick up sounds from across a 20 feet room at mid gain.

I also ordered a Sony ECM-DS70P microphone with a 1.5m long cable to use with the unit. The main purpose of the unit is for recording interviews, speeches and collecting sound-bytes for multimedia projects. So far I'm very happy with it.

Glad you like it, let us know how it progresses

Bob

Version 1.02 will make it sound a lot better , stay away from 1.10 untill another few updates have been made. I have emailed sound samples to Tascam this morning of distortion noise and other anomalies .

So I've updated to 1.02 and the low gain setting sounds fine. I actually get about the same results of using low gain at around 6-7 as I do using medium gain at 8-10. I've attached a sample:

Gain: Low

Input: 6-7

Format: 320kBps

FX: Reverb

The sample was imported into audacity, normalized and exported as a CBR 320kBps MP3.

Then I applied Audacity's Noise Removal plugin. The white noise was removed from the silent areas, but is still clearly audible when notes are played, especially once the reverb was turned off.

lowgainFXtest_normalized.mp3

lowgainFXtest_normalized_filtered.mp3

Looking at the tests at http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm I suspect that the mic input of the Tascam DR-1 will not sound anything like as quiet as the RH-1 - which seems to be bettered only by a few higher-end devices.

However, I bought a couple of 1Gb SD cards yesterday - good quality SanDisk - and noticed that their price is now more or less the same as a 1Gb Hi-MD disk. So the last argument in favour of Hi-MD ("the media is much cheaper") has gone - unless of course you want a quiet mic input!

Edited by ozpeter

actually Oz , if the Specs were accurate on that page , there wouldn't be ANY noise audible in either the Tascam OR the RH1 , it listed the Tascam over 100db EIN

your CD's are at Max, 89db S/N ratio ........... give that a thought for just a second ,.... in between songs on your CD's . there is NO audible noise ....... and only a very SLIGHT trail of noise at the beginning, or ending of a song which quickly fades off.

The EIN means very little , Dynamic Range , and Gain , Impedance , a great many other things must be taken into account, before an accurate picture results .

I can with the help of my 26 db preamps that are only 88db S/N ratio , and the at-822 , go into the Mic input of the Tascam , and get an EXTREMELY clean recording , with huge dynamics . 88db S/N ......... not 117 EIN , the EIN means virtually nothing , if the Gain structure of the preamp is weak .

The input on the Tascam without using a preamp , just the direct connection , is fairly quiet , just no gain you really have to crank up the levels , to get anything , and thereby introduce Noise .

The Impedance matching of the RH1 is just way nicer , so the AT822 agrees with it and therefore no where near the same amount of noise .

but as I said , if I use my homade 26 db preamps with the Tascam , ........and the AT-822 the Tascam comes out a clear winner . When I get some time I will post a sample of the two for you .

dont ever listen to a spec comparison that quotes the EIN numbers , they mean nothing . It is how the Input reacts to the presence of the Mic , and interacts with it .

If the interaction isn't there , then the EIN means nothing .

Mic 1 input of the DR1 , could definitely have a better impedance / dynamic range relationship , and much better gain .

I can say though the next generation of digital recorders , by the end of this year will , see the end of MD arguments ( I will still use MD , as long as there is a player /recorder to be had) the media price is down , and the quality of the recorders audio is getting steadily better , just 3-4 years ago , this DR1 at this level of sound and function ( not considering that MINE is messed up ) just on a general level , the DR1 would have been 1,000 dollars or more , and the Memory would have cost almost as much to max it out .

I have already tested the RH1/Tascam thing , I own both ........ RH1 / At-822 direct , very natural , fairly clean , I would say about 80 db S/N at mic High rec level 17 -18 or so but not better than ,

the Tascam Mic direct probably 73 db S/N ratio at mid gain input level at 8 with the AT-822 , but nowhere near the same amount of sound coming in ( at gain setting HIGH , which is 32 db of gain according to Tascam , it is not in equal relation to the RH1 .

at High gain the Tascam becomes unuseably noisy .

if I use My preamps , and put the DR1 at LOW gain , thereby using MY preamp's gain and NOT the Tascams , then I can see the 117 EIN clearly , because in that setup , it actually sounds better than the RH1 .Way better .

Edited by Guitarfxr

Mid Gain , input 9 ,internal mics , my mics just seem to have lost the Sensitivity.

post-45178-125549504766_thumb.jpg

256kbs mp3

I get noise just as bad as this, if not worse. It's kind of embarassing. :unsure:

Recording #32 is room silence at Mid Gain, input 10 (320kbps)

Recording #33 is room silence at High gain, various input levels (24bit)

Wow! That's Noisy!

DR000032.mp3

DR000033.wav

Edited by bennyp

your HiGain doesnt sound anywhere near as bad as mine does at the moment , I get a lot of distortion ( but then you havent updated yet have you )

version 1.10 has given me the technonotsological blues ............ waiting on word from Tascam .

your mid gain was fairly quiet ,

For a mid level Digital recorder , that is about as good as it will get , after stepping up a few hundred dollars , then you get a LITTle better . But the DR1 functionality for the Price range ,................

Version 1.02 had me really liking my machine , ................I just have to wait till this gets worked out , the D50 from Sony is way nicer sound , but none of the Functions the DR1 has , .......... what do you do eh?

I think what is hapenning as well , for those who do not have the DR1 yet you might not understand listening to these files that are posted. Is the Headphone out of the DR1 , is NOISY,

.......... big time Noisy , so when your monitoring the recording , you get one image , then you upload the file expecting to hear that , but the file on the computer doesnt sound as bad as the Playback on the Tascam itself .

DR1 owners chime in on that statement . ............... When I listen to the file after uploading to the Mac , it sounds a LOT better , than it does on the Tascam , this creates an Image problem . You cannot accurately assess what your recording WHILE you are recording it , that is especially bad when Overdubbing , because it is then more difficult to get an accurate mix .

Maybe the next update will take all of this into account , who knows , I have nothing to lose by updating now , but those who are still on 1.02 , just stay there for a while .

Edited by Guitarfxr

A treat for the Tascam peeps , ....... A recording project I am currently involved in .( My Homemade 26db preamps are being used in it as well , and they sound fantastic in this rig)

looks good, any chance of a video??

thanks,

Bob

Ok I sat down and did a Multitest , and had some VERY interesting results .

RH1 , and DR1 side by side . each with the same mic , then a little Sony Mixer (MX10L) quite old actually 9 volt battery powered.

Then my 26 db preamps.

One thing I noticed immediately was the wave for differences , when imported to Audacity . The RH1 wave forms were nice and big , and the audio was clean and accurately represented. what you heard in the headphones is what you saw on the screen .

The Tascam waveforms were very small by comparison , And the audio was very weak , what I heard in the headphones of the Tascam , was NOT what was on the screen .When listening to the DR1 and watching the meters , I had the impression of good solid audio , and meters were coming in at -6 db , -3 db , just under the 0 db mark.

Tascam , I hope your listening ......................

Mic Gain , Headphone levels , Input metering all need to be fixed on the DR1

A second test sort of confirmed it for me , what I did was , Run a stereo cable from the Headphone out of the Tascam , to the Line input of the RH1 , set the Tascam to Mid Gain , and Input dial all the way up , then adjusted the Rec level of the RH1 to match the meters of the Tascam , using the the Volume control of the tascam as well to get the same reading on both units .

I recorded from the Tascam Mics , so the Tascam Mics were feeding the RH1 as well at the same level .

Then Imported the two separate files , into Audacity to see the actual wave form for each file .

The Tascam wave form was smaller , by about 3 -4 db ,.......... that means that you will need to be very carefull and experiment with the Metering to make sure you get accurate results .

The DR1 meters are not accurate. And Mic input 1 , Processing is inaccurate , Mic 2 still remains very usable , But Mic 1 , is still as I have said from the very beginning , my only real gripe .

Maybe the next update will fix this stuff.

Tascam is aware of this thread I have been notified . so we will see what happens

Edited by Guitarfxr

What is needed

• Numerical Meter Display , that extends across the entire screen.and related info below or above .
  • Sensitivity control over the Limiter, the same as other effects " Level and depth"
  • A better driver for the headphone amp , it is just to noisy to accurately know what your getting.
  • Better compatibility between the Internal Mics sensitivity , and the Mic1 input sensitivity. I am using a 300 dollar mic thru mic 1 and should NOT have to use a preamp.

The inability to accurately ascertain what you are capturing , will potentially ruin whatever your recording , at worst , and at best will still cause you to spend a GREAT deal of extra time , in editing the sound you have in order to make it usable .

Tascam ,......... That isn't right , you should be MUCH more careful about the software you release , and think about what is more important .

The people who are buying this , are Buying it to record with , all of the other features are hidden and secondary , and are understood only after the unit is in hand .

I dont want Limiting that prevents me from using it as a Field recorder, Nature sounds sometimes require limiting , but nowhere near as much as the DR1 is set for .

In a louder situation , then a more compatible limiting is needed.

Also when using as a field recorder , the Use of a Mic that is designed FOR field recording , should have access to an input that will translate what is being captured properly .

The RH1 from Sony is a Perfect example , as can be heard in the MP3 in the post above . the AT 822 , works very well with the RH1 ,......WHY?

and WHY doesn't the DR1 .

The AT822 has been around for years , did you not TEST , different mics , to make sure the Mic1 input would be up to Par , or did you just consider that an afterthought .

I am not happy with the carelessness that has been shown .

You have cost me work and time . ..................

I should be recording ...............

The US Tascam site just posted version 1.10 update so I tried it, Made matters even worse . now there is no bass even with the Low cut off , the internal mics now sound midrangy as can be

oh well

left hand doesnt even know the right hand exists I guess.

the noise levels are outrageous now , HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Edited by Guitarfxr

I redownloaded the 1.10 from the German site , and it updated with that , but wouldnt update the 1.02

Tascam is actually willing to take a look at my machine , so I am making an appointment , maybe it will get corrected .

I will have some interesting pix later ,

I think the internal mics could be better mounted , I have a Mic project going for the Burren Yoga , guy in Ireland , trying to duplicate some problems he was having .

So I might be able to get two birds with one stone ,........ If I can make some cushions for the internal mics , I will post pix for you guys

The Handling noise is a pain .

Greetings:

I recently purchased the Tascam DR-1. I found this forum helpful and I will add a short review of my own.

I paid $275 @ Center using their mailer $25 coupon that comes every so often.

Aesthetically this is a BEAUTIFUL unit. Its smart looking, light weight and easy to navigate through the menues out of the box. My first field test, which Ill post a clip of here, was really what I call the idiot test. I literally took it out of the box, turned it on, set an input level and made a recording.

I bought the DR-1 to record song ideas, some rehearsals and the occasional live performance duty.

For this test I wasn't able to really center the unit to the sound field. Infact it was on stage rather than in front of the stage. It was just a logistical issue. Its a nice acoustic test that was literally plug and play.

This is a Klezmer band. Three violins, guitar, oboe and mandolin. Recorded in a restaurant infront of 175 people.

DR1_FIELD_TEST.mp3

DR-1 with v 1.01, built in mics, High gain setting at about 6.

Not too bad. With a little mastering I could have this track sounding awesome. I enjoy the live warmth. Not as good as tape but very affordable and very easy.

My next test will be in the project room. I will be recording some song ideas later tonight and Ill post a snippet and my thoughts on performance.

Peace

Edited by hewhorocks

hewhorocks,

Thanks for posting up the recording. Great performance by the band. I also received a reply from a Canadian rep. for Tascam in regards to the availability of the Lithium battery for the DR-1. It's CAD$27+ for a replacement battery, but currently they don't have any in stock and don't have a dateline on when it'll be available.

Hopefully Tascam will release a better firmware upgrade to the version 1.10 soon.