Sonic Stage 4.3 big problem

Rate this topic

kentek

Greetings,

As most of you all know, hardware marches on. New stuff is always available.

I just built a kick-ass PC with a lot of toys. It is 64 bit sporting 4GB RAM, 3/4 of a Tera byte of HD

and, this is the problem, a Litton SATA DVD writer.

SS can't see a SATA device.

So, I have to find a IDE CD.

I hate old iron!

Greetings,

As most of you all know, hardware marches on. New stuff is always available.

I just built a kick-ass PC with a lot of toys. It is 64 bit sporting 4GB RAM, 3/4 of a Tera byte of HD

and, this is the problem, a Litton SATA DVD writer.

SS can't see a SATA device.

So, I have to find a IDE CD.

I hate old iron!

Don't you hate it when that happens. Any way of fooling SS to recognize what you have? What about a portable hard drive enclosure with a CD in it through your USB, works with a hard drive, should work with a cd.

Good luck and use the force as well as the source!!

Bob

What's strange is the fact that the Readme.txt file for SonicStage doesn't mention that it requires an IDE drive. Only a Windows Media Driver compatible drive is needed.

Is your drive normally seen/working from other applications, such as Nero? Is Windows Media Player able to extract music from it?

The SATA DVD burner works with almost everything. That said, it does not work with some of the burner software:

XPBurner Pro NOT

I have not tried it with Nero as I can't stand Nero. It takes over your PC.

As the SATA DVD/CD burners are so new I think it will be a while until the software catches up.

I'll just use one of my old CD burners. I'll have to paint the bezel black to match.

Here's jpegs of Kick-ass PC:

post-41671-1204391269_thumb.jpgpost-41671-1204391343_thumb.jpg

Solved the easy way:

Bought an IDE LiteOn DVD Burner from NewEgg for $25. I don't know how they make stuff so good and so cheap.

There was a bit of a problem getting both the SATA DVD and the IDE drivers to install. XP 64 has a bug, at least I think it is a bug: when you add a new device it writes to the registry and you end up with a Code 39 'can't install device driver'.

If you ever have this problem just google on code 39 can't load device driver or go to MS Technet and search the same thing.

The SATA DVD burner works with almost everything. That said, it does not work with some of the burner software:

XPBurner Pro NOT

I have not tried it with Nero as I can't stand Nero. It takes over your PC.

I realise this is probably a little off topic, but Nero only takes over your computer if you install the InCD package - simply deselect InCD on install and no problem. If you don't install InCD, then nothing Nero runs unless you actually go to the Start/Programs menu and select it. Personally I find Nero one of the less obese Burner softwares available. (in case you aren't aware, you don't need InCD particularly - WinXP includes natively the ability to write to a CD/DVD as if it were a large floppy)

Nice PC btw, groovy :-)

Edited by max_wedge