Prob with hi MD recording off my PC

Rate this topic

moldovia

I am having problems putting more than two CDs onto my hi MD recorder (using a hi MD disc) via my PC. I keep getting this up on my screen : An error occured while transferring. It is very frustrating as I have only just got this problem. Any help / advice would be very welsome. THanks.

If yr going pretty music directly from CD>MD you could try SimpleBurner (unless yr on Vista, I don;t think it's compatible)... It's available from our downloads section here.

What format are you trying to get to Hi-MD? Also, are you using a standard disc or a 1GB Hi-MD disc?

EDIT: Welcome to the forums by the way!

Edited by raintheory

What version of SonicStage are you using? If yr using Vista, the newest version 4.3 is yr only option. Operating Syatems prior to Vista work better with version 4.2 ( http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=17769 ). Many people here (including myself) have had numerous problems with 4.3 on non-Vista machines. Version 4.3 doesn't offer any functionality over 4.2 aside from Vista compatibility.

If you are using an older version, you'd do best to upgrade to 4.2 or 4.3 depending on yr OS.

One thing you could try is just transfer a handful at a time... then the next set, and so on. "Priming the pump" as we say here.

SonicStage can be picky about certain mp3 encodings regardless... Are you trying to transfer the mp3 as-is? (if so, what recorder do you have, as they aren't all mp3 compatible), usually, if yr recorder isn't mp3 compatible Sonicstage will try to convert the mp3 to Atrac3+, then transfer.

For the heck of it, if you have the time or inclination could you post the encoding specs of the mp3s (i.e. encoder, bitrate, sampling frequency, etc)? The "Mr. Questionman" program is a great freeware tool for in-depth info on mp3 files: http://www.burrrn.net/?page_id=5

Bottom line, there are some mp3s that trip up Sonicstage and cause errors such as this. Sometimes it is the encoding, sometimes it is the tags, sometimes it's neither. Another option would be to strip / redo the id3 tags.

Failing everything SonicStage related, the other method is to burn a CD-RW or burn/mount an image of an audio CD and use SimpleBurner to transfer to Hi-MD.

Edited by raintheory

Well I downloaded the latest version of sonicstage but still I am not able to transfer more than one album onto a hi MD which is very is strange cause it didn't happen last week. I have no idea what could be wrong. Any more suggestions would be appreciated cheers. When I try to transfer all the tracks appear on the right hand side to begin with and then disappear one by one!

Edited by moldovia

Hi,

I have had a similar problem while trying to record from PC to HiMD using simple Burner. I found that the transfer stopped near he end of the first album with the 'error in transferring' flag. It did not occur unil one or two albums had been transferred.

The problem was traced to the anti-virus SW running in the background which casually accessed the new disk it found when I connected the HiMD drive. The accesses from the AV SW checking the new files it had found conflicts with the writing of the files by SS or SB.

Disabling file anti virus checking solved the problem.

Cheers

grf

For everyone on windows , as far as AVSW goes , use AVG from Grisoft and you probably wont have that problem , a lot of AV invades the whole system (Norton , Macaflea ,etc) AVG works on per package level instead , you can assign which progs to watch and which ones to not watch.

Plus the fact that AVG is just plain better .

Hi,

Thanks Wizard, I think that many people may have been experiencing the same problem. Two things that you might want to add to the sticky.

- You only need turn off the background file AV checking; the intrusion detection SW can still remain active.

- If you notice that many of the files stick at 50% complete before you get he error window then there is a fair chance that this AV file checking is causing the problem and causes SB or SS to fail communicating with the MD on USB transfers (they occur during the last 50% of 'progress').

- You need to restart the PC to re-initialise the USB drivers/HW after the fault has occured.

I did mention this problem in this forum previously but there were no replies to the post. I think the probabilities that I am the only one effected by this conflict are very low. I have used Kaspersky 6.0 and 7.0 on XP and the problem occurs in both versions.

Look forward to the sticky.

Best regards MD folks !

Grf